Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 12-23-2009, 05:06 PM

New doll! Thanks to my incredible husband I was able to finish this doll!

See, I was editing a base...and editing this base took me around an hour to do. That's a lot considering I normally don't spend an hour MAKING a base, none the less editing one. (The bowl was really difficult for me!) Anyway, once all my lines were complete I saved and closed it so I could continue with the doll later. When I opened the doll an error message popped up saying something like it couldn't 'parse the file'...WHAT?! So I decided I'd had enough with this doll and wasn't going to edit a base again, and especially not another wretched bowl!

Cue Aaron: Aaron calls me on his break and I tell him of my bad luck with Photoshop. He tells me not to delete the broken file and that he may be able to retrieve the lost base. I roll my eyes and agree not to thrash the thing (thinking the whole time that this was just going to be a waste of his time). The end of the story is that Aaron WAS able to retrieve the lost base by downloading a program that views broken images. I had no idea something like that even existed?! Having my edited base back gave me a new spring in my step and I saved that spring to finally make the doll. She turned out nice enough, and I'm really proud of certain aspects.

Base Credit

Her name is Circe, and there's quite a story behind what she's pouring out of that bowl. This is her full story and the reference pic.

Scroll down below the poem and that's the really cool story.

P.s. That weird thing hanging by her hip is her sleeve. For some reason the artist thought she'd like to show her breast before pouring the water? Anyway I couldn't justify putting the sleeve back on (that felt like cheating) so I left her sleeve hanging in my doll too. The contest rules were to cover up nudity so that's why her hair goes in front like that, and that's also why you probably wouldn't have even noticed that her sleeve was off and hanging until I mentioned all this.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 12-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Well, there go my hopes of winning the contest
Marvellous doll! I love how the water looks, and her facial expression is just wonderful, perfectly shows how angry and vengeful she is. Really nice job!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Well the good news (for both of us) is that even if this doll miraculously does win that I won't be hosting the next contest! Thanks for the Kudos!

(#24 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-23-2009, 05:52 PM

I'll offer to host it for you. XD I have to do this cuz I don't have a hope in hell of winning. That doll is fantastic; I love the dress and the water looks great. I can not pixel water.

(#25 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM

New Doll!

Base: Mariiiis Dolls House
Month: May

About the doll:

It's a Strawberry Fairy! It's May and the soil has just gotten dry enough after April's showers to plant some strawberries. This little Fairy has come to water her plant, to whisper stories to it and to generally help it to grow up nice and delicious...I mean strong xD She was born in the month of June last year from a flowering strawberry plant and has been looking forward to the month of May for a long time.

About making the doll:
At first she was going to just be a flower fairy. You know the saying "April Showers Bring May Flowers". Well I finished the skirt and hair and was working on the earings, and I could not, for the life of me, make them look like rose buds. No matter what they just looked like strawberries x_X. So I changed gears. LUCKILY strawberries are planted when the soil is dry enough, and the earliest that can happen is in May. So I went from Flowery May to Strawberry May xD

Those are my first ever set of hand drawn wings, and my first ever hand drawn leaves. I don't like either That was the first time I did spikey hair as well, and I AM proud of that. First time with a ruffled skirt...this is a doll with a lot of firsts xD I just wanted to try different things I guess.

Anyways. So I had a REALLY hard time comming up with text, and being the perfectionist that I am, the doll HAD to have text. I put it up in a doll thread in my Club and asked people's opinions. Thanks to Tink's inspiration of "Berry Fairy" I have come up with "Berry Helpful"...WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY better than my first and very lame title of "Strawberry Fairy", lol.
CC and Kudo's please. And please be kind, as I said there were a lot of things I'd never tried before!

(#26 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 01-12-2010, 11:28 PM

I'm so jealous, my wings have never looked that good! You make me want to try them again to see if I can compare My one picky point about them is the "veins" seem a little too thick for such delicate wings. Maybe try a more jigsaw-like thin vein instead? Just a suggestion for playing around, wings can be so many ways that there is no real right or wrong.

Your leaves look nice for your first try! I think what is getting you is the striped look of them. Here, it might help to add a line through the stripes to give it "veins" that would make it look more realistic. Boy, I sure like that term today

The hair is cute! I can't offer any real CC since I know squat about pixelling short hair, but I think it looks adorable. The pink was a nice touch instead of keeping with the deeper strawberry red. Its almost like the strawberries when they are inbetween changing from greenish-white to red.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 02-04-2010, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the CC Kitty! I will definately try to do the wings a little more delicately next time! ^^

New Dollie!

So I was on DeviantART yesterday looking at geisha's (I'm currently obsessed with them atm),
and I came across a VERY good doll made by utenasama.

I decided I wanted to give her hair 'technique' a try.

*WARNING*: I failed xD

I guess it's not bad for a first try right? I do love the outfit though! And ftr: I'm a visual learner, so I had to first try out the technique using the same hair style. Anywho, I cannot for the life of me figure out where I fail? CC please!

P.s. Whoot! Cute new Avi! Doesn't the brown hair (in the Avi) look better?

Last edited by LancasterPrincess : 02-04-2010 at 02:01 AM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
KiraIMustBeInvisible (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 02-07-2010, 07:36 PM

How adorable!! I love the dress! I don't think you failed, it's extremely good. I love that the hair looks sort of messy, yet still has a defined look (did I say that right? o.O)

"Are you my mummy?" "Don't blink." "Count the shadows." "Look behind you."
(#29 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 03-06-2010, 10:24 AM

New and *gasp!* unfinished doll!

Base Credit: Mariiis Dolls House
Pattern Credit: Sparkling Ice

This is Gabriella. She's a super model attending the red carpet event "Couture For A Cause". In this event, the rich and the beautiful dress up in hot couture and participate in fund raising efforts to help their cause. Gabriella is supporting the rapidly dissappearing Gojii birds of the rain forest. Her hot couture features a faux stuffed Gojii bird, faux Gojii feather trim and lucious gold embroidery. Her wig was artfully created by the top designer fashionista Olivia Van Gogh. In her most stunning and edgy creation yet, Oliva has perfectly molded an elegant nest to perfectly feature the faux stuffed Gojii bird.

"Couture For A Cause" had some live Gojii birds running (flying?) loose. What Gabriella did not know is that this particular month is the Gojii birds time of heat. In a turn for the worst, one of the male Gojii birds flies frantically towards Gabriella's faux stuffed Gojii bird perched so seductively atop her head. In her struggle to free herself from being viciously attacked by the Gojii male, Gabriella suffered from a wardrobe misfunction of "slipping a nip".

Again, I'm sorry the male Gojii is so horribly finished. There was also going to be some loose feathers floating and her wig was going to be frizzed from being attacked, but as I'd said, I ran out of time ^^;

*All characters and events, including the bird, are products of my imagination.

CC and Kudos are appreciated, but PLEASE keep in mind this is an UNFINISHED doll. The hair was not finished and the male bird that she is holding was completely rushed. Spare me and DON'T CC on them.

(#30 (permalink))
Old
teamjacobrulestheschool

Default 03-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Oh My Gosh!you Are Sooo Amazing!how Did U Do That?!im So Amazed Right Now!eDIT:IMEAN i will never be up to ur level it is spo dtailed and amazin!

Last edited by teamjacobrulestheschool : 03-06-2010 at 11:29 AM.