Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#51 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM

Aw, cute.

With the black eyes, you should have just reshaded them black, not paint bucket fill. It would have turned out better, because they would have been shaded.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Heva_Banana_Mad (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-07-2009, 04:33 PM

I didn't bucket fill them black. The palette probably wasn't contrasting enough. Oh well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#53 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-07-2009, 04:47 PM

It looks pretty bucket filled. Like I was saying before, play around with things until they look as good as can be. I usually look over a doll like crazy. Sometimes I won't be totally finished it for a couple days, because I do so much editing. I change the palettes at least 5 times on every article of clothing, on the hair, etc. until the palettes go well together. I make all my own palettes as I go, and sometimes the contrast is a bit off. Then I have to fix it. It only takes a couple minutes or so, after all.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Candybar

Default 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM

My sister never actually finished her doll but I'll post it so far anyway. I had to help her with a bit of it cause she got all stroppy.

Base:*DEAC loves you.

Here's a doll I did well not exactly a doll more like a half dressed one.

Base:Gummy-Monster on deviantART
Tut: Minas shirt tut
Also just realised that I forgot to fill in a couple of bits on the shirt I was gonna but then I forgot.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
celune (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: Not Rated
Default 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM

Yay, I'm glad to see someone using my tutorial~!
Your dolls are very cute. One thing I suggest, though, is to watch what you do with your colours so it doesn't look pillow shaded. When folds go in, you wouldn't use your highlight colour there because they receive less light like that. The highlight doesn't have to always connect and it's sometimes better to use less of it. XD

Try to avoid scribbling, too. You want it to look neat and flow. Those are just some tips, though. I definitely see an improvement from your first, so keep it up! You're coming along great. : D

~Mina
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Candybar

Default 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks Mina I see what you mean about the folds cause for one reason the tend to be shadowy underneath.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Candybar

Default 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Sorry for double post but NEW DOLL!

I hate hate hate hate the hair because it is crap.
However I <3 the shirt
Base by Hayley will link to her dA later.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Yay, you used my base! ^_^

A piece of advice. I've given you the advice before, but you haven't really put it into action that I've seen.
Quote:
A couple other things; outline's are generally 1-pixel thick. Sometimes people draw the outline using the pencil and it turned out choppy in certain areas, but then you should go back and edit it a little, making it smoother and making the outlines 1 pixel thick. Always make sure to edit your lines for the cleanest looking result.
I took your doll, and without changing the shading, I cleaned up the lines.

If you zoom in, you can see that the lines are much "cleaner" and more smooth.I also fixed up the hand area a bit, because you missed a couple pixels around there. :P

See what I mean, though? Much better. It took me about a minute of quick editing.

Here's a quick diagram I made of clean/not-so-clean lines. Maybe that'll help a little. ^^ It's not hard to fix, and it'll really make everything look better.

The shading on the doll is good. You're really improving. ^_^

Last edited by TheHayleyDoll : 08-13-2009 at 06:00 PM.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Candybar

Default 08-14-2009, 03:00 AM

Ok thanks Hayley I will probably try to redo the hair sometime. My hair normally turns out rubbish at the moment because I have so many tecniques from different tuts stuck in my head so I get mixed up and it turns out like crap.

Yeah I sometimes have trouble with the outlines next time if it's ok I might use your edited version to check if the lines are clean enough
(#60 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-14-2009, 07:52 AM

It's nice but the hair needs to be stranded a little more :3
Remember - hair is strands, it's very detailed and should show up so in pixelling.
>w< The shirt is nice, yayy, you used Hayley's base.
It's a veryyy good doll, btw. :3