Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#321 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 09-20-2010, 11:18 AM

New, for the alien contest... the diva Plavalaguna! This doll was 98% editing. X.x She's supposed to have a belt-thing, but I couldn't get it right, so I left that out. I wrote a little bit about her to go with this doll. Please note that Plavalaguna and the scene I'm describing come from the movie The Fifth Element and that I do not own either, though I did put my own artistic interpetations into the following blurb. Thank you all. ^^ Please do forgive how choppy and awkward this bit of writing is; I may edit it more later.

The excited chatting of the crowd slowly died down with the dimming of the lights, though a few hushed whispers still pervaded the room. The large, op’ulent auditorium outfitted in the colors of rich red and bright gold faded into the background when the plush velvet curtains on the stage parted to reveal a darkened, solitary figure that appeared to be clothed in blue. The spotlight was cued by the sweet yet melancholy opening note of a flute, and the figure was revealed to be not merely a human in blue, but the Diva Plavalaguna.

It was hard to tell whether she wore a tight dress or if what appeared to be an outfit made of a shimmery, silvery blue material was actually her skin, for her head and face were the same color. She shuffled forward to the slow beat of the flutist’s intro, and her ‘skirt’ fluttered along the bottom, like water rippling and tumbling over rocks in a stream. She lifted her head, and now all could clearly see beyond the black headpiece she wore to the spiral-like extension of her head that curled down to the base of her neck. From her head dangled six tentacle-like appendages, and they swayed gently in the air as if gravity barely affected them, as if they were slightly suspended in water.

When the Diva parted her blue-black lips to sing, her beautiful voice easily carried throughout the room, but yet its sound was sweet and beautiful, as though the moonlight itself were singing to the many gathered there. She seemed to portray both happiness at life, and a sadness no one could put a finger on, a haunted quality to her singing.

It was if Plavalaguna somehow knew that this would be the last performance in her life.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#322 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM

Aw man, there goes my odds! Brilliant idea using a character from Fifth Element, I loved that movie! I really adore the doll, it's so cool looking.

My only critique is miniscuel and unimportant really. But I think the dress/skin from mid-calf down looks odd since it's not shaded the same way? I get that your style of shading is a harmonious mixture of dithered and non-dithered, but since it stops completely at that point it just looks odd?

Still MUCH better than anything I could have done, lol.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#323 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM

It's more that every time I dithered the folds long the bottom, they looked.... odd. Can't really explain it. ^^

(#324 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM

NEW! My Sue for the contest. ^^ I gave up on that pigtail to our left...

\base/

Name: Princess Joyce Bridget Helen Fairway

Fandom: Shrek

Appearance: The Princess Joyce Bridget Helen Fairway was born with two brothers as a cute little ogress with pea-green skin and a button nose. But when Joyce found that she could take human form, she preferred it infinitely to that of her slightly heavyset ogress form. Joyce defines the word ‘stunning’; she has a slim waist, but yet she still has great curves that make her look womanly even at the age of fifteen. She has cute, small, delicate feet that put the perfect Cinderella to shame, and her nails are never chipped or dirty. Her hair changes depending upon light; when under the light of the sun, it is a living flame, her hair a conflagration or reds and golds. At night or when indoors, her hair appears to be a rich, chocolate brown. Her hair is straight, soft, shiny, and she just loves to comb through it with her fingers and put it up in two long pigtails. Joyce’s face is heart-shaped, with a delicate pointed shin and cute but small eyebrows. Her nose is button-like, her lips a perfect pink cupid’s bow shape, her eyes large, round, innocent, and sky blue in color. Joyce, however, is completely unaware of her own beauty, and doesn’t even notice the effect she has on men.

Personality: Joyce is always and ever the graceful, kind sort of girl; she’s always helping others, always making sure everyone is helped first. Joyce’s favorite things to do include singing, dancing, and painting. She hates using violence, but, if backed into a corner, she will defend herself. One of her flaws is that she is totally naïve and unsuspecting; she really is to nice for her own good, and people take advantage of her. Joyce always forgives, and always gives second chances. Her favorite color is purple.

Powers/Skills: Joyce has the ability to take both human and ogre form. This is a leftover remnant from Fiona’s own spell, passed down to her daughter. Joyce’s singing voice is so lovely she can actually put people in a trance when she sings. She has often done this by mistake, when she thought she was alone and singing to herself. She also dances with an almost unearthly grace, and can paint scenes so real they seem to be three-dimensional and come right off the canvas. Joyce was also trained by her mother in self defense, but she loathes to use this training, for she hates any and all violence.

Bio: This Joyce was born one of three, the only daughter in a set of triplets. She grew up humbly in the swamp with her parents Shrek and Fiona. Since Shrek has no surname to speak of, Joyce took on Fiona’s family surname of Fairway (side note: it goes with the country’s name of Far Far Away, as Fiona doesn’t seem to have a family name, either). Joyce’s brothers love her and are protective of her, but they often pick on her for being too humanlike and having the ability to take human form. One day, her brothers took this teasing too far, and Joyce’s heart was broken; she had no choice but to run away from home to find where she truly belongs. Her brothers were, of course, immediately sorry for what they’d done, but poor Joyce didn’t know that, and they had come to apologize too late; she’d left for her own adventures and to find her own True Love, just as her parents had had their own adventures and met each other

(#325 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM

There goes my chance.

You wrote a novel! I didn't think we had to write so much. Maybe I should have written more. :P

She's cute. The dress looks weird at the bottom, but it's just because she's sitting I guess. I never do sitting dolls. Mine always look messed up. xD
(#326 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 10-07-2010, 04:36 PM

XD I wanted to start out with a unique pose... should'a known better than to do that with a princess character. I wrote that much because... I dunno, I felt inspired?

(#327 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM

NEW! Joyce the Sue and her love, Jack the Djinn!

Names: Princess Joyce Bridget Helen Fairway and Jack the Djinn

Ages: 15 and unknown

Fandom: Shrek

I love his hair. XD Shiny yet still a tad bit messy. Took me forever to edit his chest, too; she never updated poor Corin, so I did. The reason I made him a djinn is because, when I made that dumb dress, they were no longer standing on the same level. Oringinally, he was going to be half angel, half demon. But he makes a cute djinn, too.

And, yes, I stole those two Djinn rules (the raising the dead and love ones) from Disney's Aladdin; I played with Cinderella stereotypes last time, this time I'm playing with Aladdin. That's the great thing about making a Shrek Sue; a good excuse to rip Disney off. XD

I want you all, especially judges, to note that the dress is designed after the wrong time-period; the majority of the clothes from the Shrek universe seems to be Renaissance inspired, whereas this dress screams more 1700s, maybe even 1800s to me. The lace glooves also don't fit for the 1700s theme, they seem much later, and, even for the most daring, wearing your hair down without a hat to go with it was a a bit unusual for the time period the dress was inspired by. I figured this just adds to her sueishness.

Want to read the rediculously long sue story that entails how these two meet? Click here.

(#328 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 12-07-2010, 12:21 AM

\base/
Want to read the record-length drabble that goes with this doll? Click here!
The third and final Miss TDP Sue entry! In the story this time, I ripped off a saying of Joe's from the Disney movie The Princess Diaries... see if you can spot that line! ^.~
Dear Lord, that story took forever! It seems like an age ago I finished this doll... that's how long it is! I actually posted the story on dollsters because I would literally have to make 8+ posts to get it all on here! I hope the judges don't mind... and I hope there aren't too many mistakes; for some reason, Dollster's is real picky bout when you copy and paste qutation marks and elipes, and I had to go through the ENTIRE story and edit it! In any case, whether there are mistakes I misse dor not, I. Am. DONE! *collapses and falls asleep instantly, as it it 1 am and I have been working all day in the snow and on the story...*

Last edited by spirit_queen : 12-07-2010 at 01:51 AM.
(#329 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Two new!
First are Cammy and Chun-Li from Street Fighter in their alternate oufits; Chun-Li in pink, Cammy in blue!

\base/

Next is two versions of Miranda's sour yet adorable vampire Liam (and he is not adoptable!) One version is human, the other is vamp.

\base/

(#330 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-12-2011, 12:50 PM

I have nothing to say except for PRO.
And that anyone who has said my hair is remotely shiney obviously hasn't seen any of YOUR dolls.