Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#61 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Lol, not actually a doubt post. I posted just ahead of you. ;P

Pretty much the same CC posted for that one applies here (hairline should be lower and shoe details). A little extra though:

The hat looks really good, actually. I suck at hats.

I'm on my tablet, so it's hard to really see some details, but...

Shading the skin under hair and clothing to add shadows adds more depth.

The shirt looks slightly 'base-shaded' around the bo'obs. Unless the shirt is skin tight, there should be more folds. To stop yourself from doing this, make the outline first, then flood fill the area white, and then shade.

And my third bit is just that palette of the jeans it a little muted. There should be more contrast in it so the highlights and shadows are more visible.

I also love the pigtails. They're super cute. ^_^

I wish I had access to a computer instead of just my tablet right now, I could use little visual aids. I'm more of a visual learner myself.

Last edited by TheHayleyDoll : 08-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#62 (permalink))
Old
KiraIMustBeInvisible (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM

Yeah I'm actually super happy with the hat XD
I need to work on shoes, those are hard v-v
And yeah, I totally forgot about adding the shading on the skin. Oops XD

I spent like twenty minutes trying to get the top right. But yeah, I usually fill it with the third shade of the palette after I get the outline(which I need to work on my T-shirt outline, no me gusta on that). So the base-shading is coincidental, but I just gave up when it wasn't working. I think I'm gonna try a bigger base next time and see if that'll help.

I thought about adding another shade after the last one I used on the jeans, so I guess next time I will thanks!

Darn these mobile devices, ruining the quality of details!

Edit: I have no life so I MADE MORE. Four dolls in one day, woohoo.

Base

Base

I made the bottom one before the top, but I didn't like the dramatic shading on the shirt so I used a more minimal black palette on the top doll. I really like the top part of the hair on the upper(I was saying 'top' way too much ) doll as well, but then gave up on the bottom part of it because it just wasn't looking right.
CC is always appreciated x3

"Are you my mummy?" "Don't blink." "Count the shadows." "Look behind you."

Last edited by KiraIMustBeInvisible : 08-08-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#63 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Its definitely best to use a black palette with less contrast. Same with white. Those two tend to look better that way, mostly because too much contrast will make black/white look like grey - like in the second doll there.

The shoes look better. ^_^

I think you forgot to shade under the hairline again. :P