Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Hand Drawn (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/)
-   -   Trying to make something good... (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/hand-drawn/18186-trying-make-something-good.html)

Lizzyluna 03-19-2008 03:35 PM

My secret garden-Lizzy's hand drawns

I made my first hand drawn doll and another version. I don't really like the hair, but the hair clip on the second one is nice, I think.
And the feather is all mine! (Sparkles aren't, of course).
base: Cicciola by Pinkland

spirit_queen 03-21-2008 02:34 PM

Did you make those sparkles form the wand yourself? I like them.

Your shading is scribbly and unrefined. Scribbly is okay, but you have to know how to get away wioth it... which few people do. Try finding and truly READING tuts on hair; some people look at the pictures, but don't read.

That's a big no! Read it; often times, the tut maker will explain how to proerly do the technique, and mny go as far as to explain why they shade it so. Try Watermelon Bubblegum, for she gives a nice explaination, i believe.

Agent_saf 03-24-2008 05:54 PM

Theres nothing wrong with the hair its just S.H.A.D.I.N.G.

Miranda_ 03-24-2008 06:42 PM

It is not shading; please don't post if all you are going to do is display your appalling ignorance. Yes, hair is difficult to shade at first, but a good tut will show you the way; I would agree with checking out Watermelon Bubblegum's tuts cuz they helped me a lot when I was first starting out.

Coloured_Dreams 03-25-2008 03:48 PM

At first, I found hair a beast to shade, but now... I kinda enjoy it! ^_^ I'm still pretty new to dolling. I think yeah, you do need to improve your linearts and shading, but it's good for a first attempt.

Lizzyluna 03-27-2008 01:11 PM

Thank you everybody. I actually read a linked Watermelon Bubblegum tutorial, but it was the full tutorial so it didn't explain much about straight hair.

I took the sparkles from a dollmaker but I could make it myself (I sometimes do when I edit dresses), I just had no energy after the hard work on the doll.

Lizzyluna 04-01-2008 07:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
New dolls, following the tutorial (but, tutorial or not, I'm still a disaster using the mouse). I made a birthday present for a young friend (but the printer killed my shading, how sad!:( ) and these are the first version, the final work and another version (quite medieval). I'd like to edit first version and make an elf or a fairy.
Base: Lea by Pinkland

spirit_queen 04-01-2008 07:06 PM

You should make the shading on the dress appear softer. You still need to add highlights to the hair, too, silly.

The shoes need more contrast in the shading.
But you make nice little sparkles and thing, which I'm too lazy to do.

Coloured_Dreams 04-03-2008 03:01 PM

As above... you have overly shaded the folds at the bottom, but undershaded everything else! xD Which is never a good look... but it's good overall. My second doll was a disaster.

Lizzyluna 04-05-2008 06:33 AM

Better now?
I wanted to edit the folds but I forgot it: I worked on the doll until 1-2 in the morning and my parents had started to hate me.