Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#71 (permalink))
Old
Coloured_Dreams

Default 04-06-2008, 05:16 PM

*gives evils* nooo... tis fine as it is! lol kidding deary. You could follow ulis's advice, or you could just leave it. I think it's great the way it is, but there's room for improvement for everyone... O.o

Since you were nine? I didn't get a computer until I was nine and internet until I was eleven! And it's only recently that I actually found out about dolling.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#72 (permalink))
Old
celune (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: Not Rated
Default 04-06-2008, 11:02 PM

I guess. I don't wanna go overboard with highlights though...
I was serious at nine but I started at around six or seven. I remember being into anime and drawing since I was six though...
Lol I remember learning about it via a link on Avatar Palace which lead me to a site and I went into links and got to Angy-chan's site and I used a couple of her bases, but they were hideous since I used an ugly palette off of thePalace. And I've only pillow shaded like...once? And that was to see what would happen. Not pretty. And I made on doll shaded with gradients. Ick. They were all stiff. And a few re-colors and no frankendolls.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#73 (permalink))
Old
Coloured_Dreams

Default 04-07-2008, 05:22 AM

I've only ever pillow shaded once as well... methinks. I was never really into anime, but I've always been into my drawing, and I would've probably discovered dolling earlier but again with the computer scenario. I've always been able to use paint relatively well! ^L^ I've never frankendolled either, and I've never really used gradient. I <33 your tuts though, they're really good! ^_^

I love the yume studio site (is that the one you're talking about? I don't know... I always get confused! xD) except it takes a while to load on my super old computer... _
(#74 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 04-07-2008, 06:14 AM

I've been dabbling in traditional since kindergarten, and have wanted to be an artist for as long as I can remember. Legitimately, for I'm not making that up.

I discovered dolling in the summer of 07, when I came here. The item that I though was my first 'doll' was actually a CG item, which is the first thing in my thread, I believe. I sooo suck at CG still.

As for pillow-shading? It never really made sense to me much, as I'd been shading normally in traditional for so long, and that pillowing is a pixel thing... So yeah.

(#75 (permalink))
Old
celune (Offline)
Shuni

Default 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Yeah, Yume Studio. I just love the banner. <333 My second site was Pretty Pixels Kawaii Hannah. I adore her work. <3

I can't say I did it in kindergarten 'cause I got kicked out since we moved and our new place was too far from the school so my parents said forget it. I've never really been good at shading before so I never did it [in traditional] but lately I can't stop using it. I'm shading like I do my dolls... I've never comprehended anatomy still. [That was random? XD]
As I said, I wanted to try it because I like trying to learn different styles and I found an anime picture on thePalace that was completely pillowed and I tried to repeat the style... then realized it was hideous and wasn't realistic. Then, to get the hang of shading, all I did was recolor shirts and stuff. Then realized that all I did was change her skin color on a certain area and outline it. Then I started filling in with white to shade and those weren't as bad... then I went to tool shading for awhile and was horrible. But I remember being so proud. Then I took a second look and realized they were ugly and stopped dolling for a month or two then went back into pixel shading last year and joined these forums under PinkPearlLucia. ^^

And I'm glad you like my tutorials. I personally think they're crud, and I blame my ever-changing way of dolling. But I suppose they're a good foundation for beginners?

Here are some crud dolls I did a few years back:

Gabby - YUME STUDIO - Angy-chan's dollz & more...
Girl with Red Dress - :: x a n d o r r a s :: p l a c e :: original cartoon dolls
Red Ninja - DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory
Sailor Jupiter - :: x a n d o r r a s :: p l a c e :: original cartoon dolls
(#76 (permalink))
Old
celune (Offline)
Shuni

Default 04-07-2008, 09:13 AM

And my first dolls here:

First One- YUME STUDIO - Angy-chan's dollz & more...
Third&Fourth- YUME STUDIO - Angy-chan's dollz & more...
I forgot the second one's base. x____x

Lol, as you can see, my older ones are hideous!

Last edited by celune : 04-07-2008 at 01:56 PM.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM

But how did you do the water? I'm scared to pixel water. O.o

I started off with traditionaly and such anatomy, and a lot of the symmetry in pixeling bothers me, as traditional stuff usually isn't so neat. XD I do what I call 'scribble shading' where I actually scribble with my shading and people like the scratchy look.

In a way, I sort of carried it to my pixeling, so no peice is the same.

As for being horrible, you remember my very first real, pixeled doll? XD The hair was horrendous, and I followed the base body for the white dress.

(#78 (permalink))
Old
celune (Offline)
Shuni

OldPost 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Lol, I'm better at water now. [Look at my dA icon here.]
I used PSP8's line tool [which officially broke on me and is doing 2px thick lines on the 1&0 settings. Same with the shape tool. =__=] and followed Xandorra's tutorial...sort of. And went my own way with it and hid the doll then erased around the rocks near her feet and cut her feet off the doll and put it on a new layer and lowered capacity. Boy did I cheat. >_>
Your first wasn't that bad. Mine things look all bulky and chunky. x____x
I don't like to scribble-shade. I like doing cross-hatch and shading...how do I put it? Color an area lightest first and go darker... like dolling. Or starting with the darkest shade and building it there. But we're all different with our preferences.
(#79 (permalink))
Old
Macky (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Default 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM

I love your new avvie! The hair is so shiny and smooth OwO
Dx
I haven't done water in like, forever. x__x

(#80 (permalink))
Old
celune (Offline)
Shuni

Default 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Aww, thanks! ^^
I've only done water like two or three times...
Uhg, I can't stand the retards on FF.net that keep getting out of character and put too much fluff in their stories. The one shots are horrendous. And the one where Envy turns Ed into a girl and hooks up with him was disgusting on so many levels. >< Why can't no one leave my man be? Why do they torture him?? *sob*