Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-11-2007, 08:00 PM

The doll is very good!
I like how you did the corset and boots, and it turned out very nice ^^

Last edited by Miranda_ : 12-26-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 11-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Yes, the corset is good, too. Could have had more detail in the center.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 12-26-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
sentimental7 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 4.50 Average
Default 11-11-2007, 09:28 PM

This ones very good too! Your shading has improved so much, well done! I think you did a great job on shading the hair, corset, and boots! The boots are really unique. I sometimes have the same problem with skirts, but it's just because of the palette, as Hayley said. I really like the overall design of the outfit too, very nice! So all in all, you are doing great! 8D Btw, The only tuts I know about for boots are at -+- Pixel Monster -+- (click on the heart on the closest right) and Miaka's Dolls (click on visitor), but they are a bit confusing.

(#24 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 11-11-2007, 09:36 PM

Miranda, your dolls are so lovely I know you asked for helpful tuts, so here are some sites that I like(besides Watermelon Bubblegum which I see has received much love here I really like that site and suggest you use the jeans and shirt/top shading. All tops, even ones for dresses, would be shaded similarly to that.).

Het paars konijn: a pixel doll site
-The hair tutorial can be applied to other styles later on and is a really good idea to look into. Also, I enjoy her boots tut. Her other ones are back up yet since she just moved, but hopefully they will be soon.

Box of Pixels v.6
-I recommend looking at the skirt tuts. One is for the front and the other is for the back/under other fabrics. They can also easily be applied to dresses and shorts skirts with the same style.

Doll Tutorial Search Engine: Main
-I'm not sure how many of these sites are still up and I've found most are rather crappy, but I've stumbled upon some amazing stuff and they cover lots of different topics.

Overall, the best thing I can suggest to you is to look at other people's work. When I don't know how to do a certain style, I always find it helpful to look at places like the Doll on the Hill Factory or Watermelon Bubblegum or even just to search it on deviantart(dolls are under customization when you browse).

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-12-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks SWK; those sites were helpful, and I found some great tuts looking thru them. ^^ Anyways, I made another doll; not too sure about the boots, or the top (meant to be one of those stretchy top things) but I still like her.

Base: Box of Pixels v.6

This is also my first specific doll; this is one of my RP characters. Her name is Liberty, and yes, she's meant to have blue hair. She likes to wear her own style; for example, instead of wearing long boots with stockings, she wears ankle boots. I couldn't find a tut for ankle boots, so I winged it. CC please, but be nice or else I will zap you. XD

(#26 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 11-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Eee! Must resist tackle. XD

Her stockings: Where it's grey, you need to use a darker shade of grey; the black on grey makes it look cartoony.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 11-12-2007, 09:03 PM

I used a pallet for that; might use a slightly different one next time, maybe one off another site. ^^ The one I used for the stockings had just 3 shades.

(#28 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 11-12-2007, 09:03 PM

The hair is good ^^ I likey!

But yeah, the grey needs to be darker so the contrast is a bit better.

I likey though!
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 11-12-2007, 09:05 PM

I love her hair. I actually made it messy. XD

(#30 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 11-12-2007, 09:23 PM

I think it looks beautiful The only thing I might say, besides the palettes which I will address in a moment, is the bring the boots up a bit higher. Right now they are ending, technically, right at the top of her feet. By making the top a bit higher, it'll look more natural.

On the topics of palettes, might I suggest making your own? That way you can play around with the colours yourself. Its rather easy to do in Paint(not sure about any other program). All you have to do is go to "Edit Colours" then use the huge spectrum to pick out a general colour area. Then, when you pick out your darkest or lightest colour, go by 5s, 7s, 10s, or whatever you choose to do with the "Lum" section. When you reach the end of your interval, you just click "Add to Custom Colours". It doesn't save them there, but if you put your palette next to your doll it should work out just fine.

If that doesn't make sense, I could toss up an image to show you what I mean.

Av & Sig Credit: Me