Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#201 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 11-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Yeah, the mouthpeice on the bassoon usually has some cork showing but I was too lazy to pixel that. Cork would require using two pallettes perhaps. You shade the cork smooth with one pallette, then put specks on it using the other pallette. Get what I'm saying?

And her secret could be as simple as having angel wings, or something It needs not be elaborate...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#202 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 11-24-2007, 04:54 PM

Okay, since my other contest entry seems to be finishing much faster than I expected, you can expect me to enter this soon. Hopefully tomorrow if I can get the wood shading correct.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#203 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 11-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Yay! Wood shading it a mixture of dithering and sharp, shiny pallettes. If you want, you can take a copy of my basson. The only real highlights you'll find, sadly, will be on the butt-part... (far right).

(#204 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-24-2007, 10:11 PM

Nah, I'm always proud of making my own palettes. I have a good one I just used for a window in the entry I was just talking about Thank you for the offer though!

Wood shading is horrible. I've done it before, but since I'm not used to doing much pixel work this will be a big endeavor.

(#205 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 11-25-2007, 06:47 AM

It took me forever! Nut if you stick to it, I'm sure you'll make it through!

(#206 (permalink))
Old
xJESSiCA (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 26 Votes / 3.54 Average
Default 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM

Wood shading and button shading are equally as hard, especially when you have so many. Have you seen a saxophone? So many buttons, and the guards for the button holes at the bottom and on the bell...usually they have a pattern, and so does the bell.

Would a pillow-shaded look make it look more like metal? I mean, only getting lighter from one side, instead of making it lightest in the middle or whatever?
(#207 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 11-25-2007, 01:29 PM

EWW! Never talk pillow-shade!!!

Um...
find a saxophone pic. i could make a quick-y gold pallette for you, I suppose. Find a saxophone pid and LOOK at the metal. Remember that light bounced. I might one day make some sort of tut on metals and woods...

(#208 (permalink))
Old
xJESSiCA (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 11-25-2007, 02:52 PM

It's not really pillow-shading. But it's shading from one side of the bell, and getting lighter towards the other side, because of the light source.

For some things, though, it does look realistic to pillow-shade, truthfully...
(#209 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-25-2007, 03:02 PM

The shading you are describing is basically what you need to do, but you also need to dither between the shades to give it a smoother look. Theres some examples of dithering in the first couple of pages. I know I used it in this thread's first contest.

(#210 (permalink))
Old
xJESSiCA (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Hmm...
my computer does this weird thing, that if I built something in AM3 (it's the program I'm most familiar with, and use it for handdrawn dolls), and then put it in paint, then it gives it a dithered effect. So I could build and shade the body, and then dither it in paint, and then do the buttons. Grr, I hate buttons.
Closed Thread