Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#441 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 07-04-2010, 09:57 AM

OMG, gorgeous hair! And the shading on the top is just lovely. The skirt folds are a bit stiff though - I'm guessing that was probably intentional as ice lollies are supposed to be stiff - but still it looks a bit... off. But great doll overall!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#442 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Base by CCG (21) Fantasies / zipple on deviantART

Thanatos is Greek for "Death"; which is precisely what she is, in reverse. She kills her victims with her deadly scythe, Sparklelord, then brings them back; they have a fierce urge to protect her when they come back to the living world. She also likes long walks on the beach and standing guard over her dead husband's grave. :3

Character-speaking, anyway, she grew up as a morgue child; her father was a coroner and her mother was the director and embalmer at the local funeral home. She grew up a little strange because she always saw dead people; and a lot of kids thought she was weird because she was always at funerals.

When she was in college, her boyfriend - Roger Durnam - was killed by a mugger one night. Her father being the only coroner in town, she had to help with the autopsy. When her father stepped out for a minute to get his scrubs on, she took Roger's hand in hers and imagined him as alive again, imagined him as never having been attacked-

And suddenly he drew in a breath, freaked out at finding himself naked on a slab. It became a case of Sleeping Beauty, in a way; they were married later that year. It was though he had never died; he had a heartbeat, a pulse (unlike a certain former Vice President) and they were never happier.

She went on to become a coroner as well; her father was overworked and she feared he would soon have a heart attack. At some point, she became involved with the local mafia; they killed her mother, the funeral for the late Godmother having been tasteless to their eyes. Using her strange ability, she was able to track down each of the people involved with her mother's death. She was planning on going after the Godfather next, but one night as she and her husband drove home from a charity ball, their car strangely veered off the road and into the local river.

They drowned. They were both twenty four years old.

Liana found herself awake in the morgue, her father's dead body lying on the floor next to the gurney she lay upon. Something was terribly wrong; she felt awfully cold. As she sat up and wrapped her arms around herself, she realized what it was.

She had no pulse.

Her husband was in the drawer behind her; she brought him back, disturbed to find that he had no pulse either, and together they buried her father: she hadn't the heart to bring him back.

In the cemetery, they discovered an old underground mansion owned by a super-villain from a time long past. A testament to avarice and decadence, it was old, dusty, and smelled like hell - but they spent their free time working on it to make it livable.

It took her a year - but she killed the people in the mafia responsible for her family's deaths. It was during this time that she became rather unhinged, as she deliberately brought them back to life to serve her. Her husband never had this urge, as he'd already loved her; but two years after her mission was done, he pleaded with her to let him go. So her husband was finally laid to rest by the lake they had spent so much time at.

And she finally went over the bend.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#443 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM

I've got to laugh at the rainbow scythe with the pink handle It's so stupidly hilarious! Butbut, on to criticism.

The background looks a bit flat and boring; you should have shaded it and added in a few tufts of grass here and there. The water needs ripples and waves, too. And the gravestone needs a more weathered, stony appearance.

Not like I can really talk, seeing as I never do backgrounds. XD

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#444 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM

I was boorred. XD The focus is meant to be on the doll, so I made the background and such as plain as possible.

..I can't do good backgrounds anyway. XD Not doing that again.

But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#445 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 07-24-2010, 12:06 AM

Don't want to sound like I'm murdering you, but also, you could have placed the doll on one side of the gravestone, and then you'd have been able to include the rest of the dress. =3

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#446 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM

GAH STOP IT THE GRAVESTONE IS THERE BECAUSE I COULDN'T SHADE HER EFFING DRESS.

Gosh. Stop. >_<

Halestorm
(#447 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM

No base. Legit. NO. BASE.

I was listening to I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin; and one of the lines is "I have lost the will to change." Me being on a Sandman binge lately, I immediately thought of Morpheus/Dream and the fact he had a hard time letting grudges go, how he fought against anything that might change how he did things.

And ultimately the end of the series, which I shall not spoil.

Except in the following quote box, so beware!

Quote:
I can't remember which of the Endless said it, but one of them said that in the end of it, an Endless has two options - change or die. Dream had clear trouble with change after his 60 years of imprisonment; and when the Furies chased him, death was his only option.

Halestorm
(#448 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 09-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I love the swirly background. but, some small CC; could you a-a him more? The sharp, defined lines of the pixellated figure don't seem to go with the softened swirls in the background.

(#449 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 09-14-2010, 11:16 PM

I actually like the sharp contrast between the environment and him. It makes him seem much more there.

The visible arm seems a bit stickish. Also, his body seems a bit too small, especially on the exposed side. The robe-ish thing that is surrounding him is so much larger it feels like his body should've been expanded a few more pixels on the exposed side. Not sure I'm explaining that right.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#450 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Thanks, guys.

Kitty, I think I get what you mean; I was deliberately making him look small in comparison because of the character's emotions at one point.

Queenie, it's meant to look a little jarring; I was going for what the comic looked like. Really detailed backgrounds, with Dream looking all starkish against it in certain aspects.

Halestorm