Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#731 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit_queen View Post
You just want Vega to win, Miranda. XD Don't deny it. But, yes, when I start animating, I should make something like that for you.

My own rantage: My brother is RETARDED. He's painfully skinny and, when he sucked in his stomach, he thought that the reason his chest was bulging was because of MUCLE. NO, you DUMB*****, that's your F*CKING RIBCAGE! Don't you understand that you're KILLING YOURSELF???!!!!!!
...Whaaa?

...I have no idea. I just haven't got a clue. Is he a proper Anorexic or just refusing to eat because he's insecure about his self image? Tell him this:

Fat = Energy.

Energy = Ability to exercise.

Exercise = Real muscle and skinnyness.

Real muscle and skinnyness = CHICKS!

At least I think so. O.o; Eating the right foods actually makes you skinnier than if you don't eat at all, if my memory hasn't suffered damage since Science class last year, when we were learning about how the human body uses food.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#732 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 12:28 PM

He's not a true anorexic, and he's not insecure, he's just plain stupid; he's not displaying any signs of anorexia or anything, he's just being ignorant. Everyone is telling him that it's not healthy, but he only says, "I don't care about helath on the inside, just looks on the outside." If there was a way to MAKE him understand, I would.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#733 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 01:47 PM

No offense, Queenie, but he sounds like a complete moron.

I suggest you show him some graphic pictures of people who died of starvation or emaciation. That might shock his scrawny ar'se into gear. =/

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#734 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda_ View Post
The fact is, animated entries in the handdrawn contest distract from the doll. Say someone enters an animated entry that is crap, but the person judging still awards it first place cuz it's all sparkly!1!eleventy! How is that fair to the entrant who's slaved over their entry, yet is unable to animate? Answer; it's not. So in order to make it fair and square for everyone, animation was scrapped. How would you feel if, say, I started a contest that was exclusive to premis? That wouldn't be very fair either. Or if I said, "No-one under the age of eighteen can enter this contest". Why should people who can't animate, either cuz they don't have the skills or the necessary programmes, be penalised?
Of course, that's assuming that the contests are judged by morons who lose their faculty for rational thought when confronted with shiny objects.

(#735 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Sadly, that's often the case. In any case, handdrawn dolls should be judged on drawing the clothes etc alone, cuz it creates a fairer playing field than allowing animation. Not everyone can afford programmes like PSP or Animation Shop; not everyone has the same skills when it comes to animation.

(#736 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Sadly, I think I am one of those people who ends up very dazzled by the glitter. If things glittered like that in real life, I'd never get anywhere.

My rant involves Jason's mother. Me and Jason have been looking at a puppy--we found in a a pet shop yesterday. He's a breed I'm very familiar with involving the pros v. cons and have had experience with. Jason and I priced everything, he gets free obedience training through his work, we plan on cutting out his trips to see me so the dog doesn't need to be cared for by anyone else. We even have a plan should we ever not have the means to provide for him, heaven forbid. Jason decided to ask his mother about it to be polite, even though she will have no role in paying or caring for this dog... and she is being an utter ***** and has declared the only acceptable dog he can purchase is one of those tiny yappy rats. This is after she has ruined the dog she bought last year and knowing that training them is difficult, that house breaking is close to impossible, that they bark, they go on furniture--everything she is complaining a larger dog would do. No matter what argument he throws at her about the training, the house breaking, tackling every one of her concerns with reasonable answers, she continues with her "No large dogs--they will just pee through the floor/the dog won't like it even though he will never have to see the dog/I will take care of him even though you said you would do everything". Her latest kick is neutering as an excuse since Jason does not intend to neuter this dog (long story short--its worse for the breed. It increase the risk for hypothyroidism and the breed is already predisposed. The benefits aren't worth it for us). I think its ridiculous for her to say no (which, her other excuse is she "always" has to take care of things. Which made me point out that Jason has owned and maintained several fish tanks for a year without her once having to do anything. Any meddling she did was of her own accord. We never wanted her to deal with them since the slightest change in the tank could cause a whole mess of problems). I'm just so fed up. I don't want to encourage Jason just to get the dog he wants without her approval, but she is completely unreasonable. We even countered her "large dog" argument by pointing out the breed doesn't grow above your knee and that by the time it even reaches full size, Jason will no longer be in the house. I would wait on a dog, but I have been so captured by this puppy's sweetness that I can't pass it up. I am desperately in love with it and was ready to throw down the 500 for it on the spot, but she is being so annoying with her excuses why Jason can't be a grown man and have his own pet.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#737 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanorea View Post
Of course, that's assuming that the contests are judged by morons who lose their faculty for rational thought when confronted with shiny objects.
My point exactly. What I'm trying to say is that most people, especially the ones who have actually worked hard to win a contest, will not automatically choose something because it is sparkly, shiny, or whatever. Despite the popular belief shown here, I think that there's hope for humankind yet. Dollers who really know how to doll will not be fazed by such things as animation.

Really, you're saying it like animation doesn't take ages. It does. Heck, most of the time when I animate, the animation itself takes longer than the pixelling. The extra effort that someone puts into a doll to animate ... that should be recognized.

"Skill" - well, skill can be judged on pixelling, too. Not everyone has the same skill at pixelling, either. So if it's like "Well there are people who don't have enough skill to animate", then we should also make the assumption "Well there are people who don't have enough skill to pixel." Which would basically disqualify everyone who can pixel. Really, now? Everyone, and I stress this, everyone, can animate. I could make a tutorial right now and nearly everyone on this forum would get it. They'd understand that to make something go fade out from light to dark, in each frame it would go like this:
F1: Dark Shade
F2: Dark/Medium Shade
F3: Medium Shade
F4: Light/Medium Shade
F5: Light Shade
F6: White
Heck, if you don't understand that, then you probably don't understand how to shade, either.

I, for one, actually pixel out every frame, not use some shortcut program to animate for me. And I don't understand at all - there are so many programs out there that allow you to animate. I know, actually, where to get a....version of AS3, although I'd rather not go into that in this thread. I thought that not too long ago, people were talking about using Iaza or whatever? Hmmmm? "People can't afford Photoshop" - so let's ban tool shading. Oh, but then you say "Well, they have Gimp, which can't animate." Once again, Iaza. Or go to Softpedia and search for "animation program"; you're bound to come up with plenty free ones. Or you can take my way out and Private Message me, which will earn you a link to the program that I use.

As for "taking away from the doll" - Animation's supposed to add, not subtract, from something. What, do you not want to be distracted? I can distract you by using a different hair palette or whatever. You know that some people, unlike others, when they join the Handdrawn thread, they join to win. And when people say that all's fair in love and war, it can be applied here. A contest's like a war, isn't it...? We all want to catch the judge's eye. I'm not trying to say Ha, let's unban animation because then I can just animate to win my way through contests.

What I'm trying to say is Let's unban animation so we can see how far someone is willing to push their creativity, through both the doll itself and animation, in order to win a contest.

....Or are people just...jealous? That some can animate, and others can't? Is that the underlying issue here? I'm not even sure anymore.

Heck, I told ya'll not to get me started on this already.
(#738 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM

It's the drawing and pixeling we're judging, not your animating skills. That's not really difficult to understand is it? Also, do you really have to be so rude? Saying, "You hate animation cuz you're jealous" is really offensive. I suggest that you don't post in this thread any more if you are unable to discuss the subject without being nasty. I find it extremely offensive to be told that I can't shade just cuz I can't animate.

(#739 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM

Ahh - sorry. ;___;

Got heated up in the midst of the arguement

I suppose so, then. Sorry to everyone. Didn't meanta come off like that. ; ;

Ehhh....
(#740 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Also, perhaps you didn't read the rules of the handdrawn contest correctly, but animation isn't completely forbidden.

Quote:
12: No animation is allowed in the contests, unless the contest is specifically entitled "Animated Dolls" or the contest host requests it. Any animated entries will be automatically disqualified.
So if if was your turn to host a contest in the thread, you'd be perfectly within your rights to host an "Animated Handdrawns" contest. Also, if you'd like to peruse the Dollmaker Contest thread, animation and glitter is nearly always allowed by contest hosts.