Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Spam, Netiquette And Basic Forum Information - 05-14-2005, 11:30 AM

There appear to be a few people who don't seem to understand the meaning of either. I've posted the meaning of each in simple terms so that everyone is clear.

SPAM.

1. Junk email that is sent to your inbox that you didn't sign up for, like advertising email or p*rn.

2. Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages. These can either be the same thread/post repeated over and over again, or threads/posts that consist of just a smilie or a LOL that serve no meaning whatsoever. It can also pertain to a thread started asking a question already answered in another thread or in a stickied FAQ, or an off topic thread.

3. Abusive/obscene posts that serve no purpose whatsover. That includes flaming, which basically means a fight between two or more forum members. Any topics that start to go that way here will be locked and the flame posts removed before the thread is reopened. Don't spoil someone else's thread by attacking another board member; if you have a problem with someone, PM either me or Kitty.

4. Random posts. We have a thread that was made specifically for randomness; it can be found here: Randomness Thread. Post all your random thoughts and comments there; any that are posted as a new thread will be locked. Only make a thread if you have something important to say.

5. Comments posted in RPGs. If you wish to ask a question of a poster about their RPG, PM them; don't post a comment in their RPG. Also, any questions you have about RPGs will probably be answered in the Rules and FAQ topic.

I would like to add in something else regarding SPAM.

Do NOT respond to SPAM, should you come across it. I know you want to be the good person and tell the SPAMMER what they are doing is wrong, but what you are doing is creating TWICE as much work for the moderators, who now not only have to delete the spam, but ALL responses to it.
Do your part, report the spam. PM the spammer if you must. But DO NOT RESPOND TO IT!

(Above paragraph contributed by dudettel)

Netiquette.

Basically, board manners. A good site explaining netiquette far better than I could is here: The Core Rules of Netiquette -- Excerpted from Netiquette by Virginia Shea -- Albion.com

I'd like to draw attention to the following excerpt from the Netiquette site:

Rule 1: Remember the human.

The golden rule your parents and your kindergarten teacher taught you was pretty simple: Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you. Imagine how you'd feel if you were in the other person's shoes. Stand up for yourself, but try not to hurt people's feelings.

Bottom line is, on the other side of that computer screen is a human being with the same feelings and emotions you have. Before you send a spiteful private message or attack another user, just think; how would you feel if someone did the same to you? What would you think if someone attacked your best friend or sister like you're attacking this user? Posting nasty attacking messages, either in private message or on the board, is against forum rules and will earn you an infraction straight off. Continuous harrassment of any user could end with you being banned. Is it really worth it?

Last edited by Miranda_ : 07-27-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!