2013 Year In Review!
I decided to make this to look over the past year, the highs and the lows. :) Please note that my post looks mostly at the happenings in the UK so if you're from another country, feel free to make your own to post in this thread. Plus, not everything will be mentioned as I am not a wiki and events will be in no particular order.
1. The House of Commons votes by 400 votes to 175 in favour of legislation to introduce same-sex marriages.
2. Lottery winners give money so that disabled girl can finally walk.
3. Andy Murray defeats Novak Djokovic to become the first British man to win Wimbledon since 1936.
4. Prince George of Cambridge is born to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. He is the sole grandson of the Prince of Wales, and is third in line to succeed Queen Elizabeth II.
5. Malala Yousafzai, the schoolgirl shot for campaigning for women's right to education, is fully recovered and brings out a book to tell her story.
6. Britain bakes in July heatwave, the first since 2006.
7. The discovery of a drug-like compound which halts brain cell death in mice is hailed as a breakthrough in the quest for a potential cure for Alzheimer’s disease.
8.The world’s first bovine stem cells lab-grown burger is cooked and eaten at a news conference in London.9.
10. Amanda Berry escapes from a house in Cleveland, Ohio, whose owner Ariel Castro, has been holding her captive since 2003. Two other women and a child are later released.
1. "Horsegate" happens. Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Iceland and Dunnes withdraw various beef products after the Food Safety Authority of Ireland informs them that they are contaminated with horsemeat.
2. Margaret Thatcher dies.
3. War breaks out in Syria.
4. Teenage girl savaged to death by four dogs in friend's house, resulting in a call for a law change regarding dangerous dogs in private houses.
5. Widespread flooding in the south east of England resulting in hundreds of homes without power on Christmas Day.
6. Nelson Mandela dies.
7. Lostprophets frontman Ian Watkins pleads guilty to child sex charges at Cardiff Crown Court. Steps member Ian "H" Watkins suffers abuse on his Facebook page as a result of people mistaking him for the Lostprophets singer.
8.Two pressure cooker bombs are detonated near the finish line of the Boston marathon, killing five people and injuring a further 264.
9. Murder of soldier Lee Rigby shocks the world. Killers are caught and found guilty at trial.
10. Oscar Pistorius is charged with murder. The South African athlete is charged with the fatal shooting of his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, in an incident in his home in Pretoria. His trial is eventually set for March 2014.
Your country had people without power on Christmas too? We did as well because of the ice storm. Well, I personally didn't thankfully, but some were without power from Sunday before Christmas to the Sunday afterward in Toronto. :(
Speaking of Toronto...
LOW: Canada's reputation sullied by crackhead Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. :lol:
I was lucky; my flat is on high ground so wasn't flooded. The worst thing that happened was... the chip shop was flooded! Oh horrors! :shock:
2013 was a very odd year for me. I had some very amazing things happen in my life but some very unfortunate things too, especially at the end of the year. :| I am looking forward to 2014 to say the least.
I completely forgot about Oscar Pistorius! The trial will not doubt be interesting..
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.|
© 2007 The Doll Palace