Online trolling - 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Schoolgirl Hannah Smith 'trolled to death' by bullies on Ask.fm website | Mail Online
Over here, a lot of people are talking about this. I can see both sides clearly. Basically, trolling is bad and the people who use Ask.fm to troll are sad, pathetic individuals who need to get a life. However, the fact that a fourteen year old girl was allowed to go on the site in the first place unsupervised is not good, either. Also, sites like Ask and Yahoo answers are always going to be full of trolls so anyone with a little common sense avoids them like the plague.
For a schoolgirl to commit suicide over being insulted, there surely must have been something more to make her do it. Tragic tho it is, the only person responsible for a suicide is the one who commits it and banning the website is not going to bring her back. It won't even stop the trolls as they will just go someplace else. If you're being trolled, there are two things you can do which will stop the bullies in their tracks.
1. Log off.
2. Never go there again.
Also, to protect yourself online, the following would help to stop you from being a target.
1. Stay anonymous. If you don't use your full name online, or use a username, then no-one's going to be able to look for you in real life.
2. Avoid anon sites. Any website that allows people to post unreg is best avoided, unless it's strictly moderated and has good administration.
3. Don't post photos or personal info. If you want to post a photo, then make sure it's on a safe site. If you go on an anon site or message board, then don't have your photo as your avatar and please don't post anything of a personal nature. Don't give these people weapons to attack you with.
4. Make your page private. Facebook will allow you to keep your page set to friends only, and so that no-one can search for you. If you do that, then the only people who can see your page and info are your friends.
5. Only friend people you know. Don't accept every single request that you get on Facebook; only accept people you know. That way, you are less likely to get nasty people spamming your page. And if you accept someone as a friend and they start trolling you, then report them at once and remove them from your list.
If you're being cy'ber bullied on a website, then always report the bullies to the site administrator. If you're still living at home, then tell your parents. Don't keep on visiting the site; trolls thrive on their victims continuing to reply to them. Above all, remember that your life is precious and there are people that care about you. Suicide is never the answer; it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Who's Online?||Miranda_||Games||68||05-02-2011 05:16 PM|
|Online Sonic game||Miranda_||Video Games||3||02-22-2010 02:54 PM|
|Online Dating||Silver_Wolf_Kitty||Dating||0||10-07-2007 05:33 PM|