Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHayleyDoll View Post

When I here about people not eating there over something like this, I think of all the little people working there at the cash register or actually making the food who need those jobs to support themselves/their families or to pay off debt. Those are the people that lose jobs over things like this - not the owner. He could probably care less as long as he's still making millions and millions every year.
This, exactly this. Refusing to eat at the fast food restaurant isn't going to hurt the owner. He'll still be able to run his Mercedes Benz and take a holiday in the Bahamas every year. The people who'll be hurt by lack of business will be the people working there who might be laid off if business falls and who have bills to pay and families to feed. So a boycott is the wrong idea; if you want to reach the owner, send him a petition thru email or something instead.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

I think it is more narrow-minded to stop eating at Chick-Fil-A because the owner doesn't support g.ay marriage. The fact that the owner happens to be the owner of Chick-Fila-A is a coincidence. Besides, the resturaunt isn't forcing anti-g.ay propaganda down your throats, so I don't seet the big deal.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM

I have nothing to say on this matter, other than that:

I hope that you guys understand that Chick Fil A donated a total of around 2 million dollars to Anti-LGBT organizations in 2012

[citation]

( When you go, replace *** with g.ay )

Last edited by noirmali : 08-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-02-2012, 08:58 PM

I am 100% aware, and I disagree with their position. However, what I have said still stands true:

1) Chick-fil-A may be run by someone who disagrees with my beliefs, but he has a right to donate to whoever he wants to. He's against g@y marriage - much like about of half the American population. If he wanted the LGBT community to die, THAT would be an extremist belief and a huge problem with me. Everyone has a right to believe what they want.

2) The OWNER of Chick-fil-A may not agree with g@y marriage, but the corporation itself has no feelings of beliefs. It is a business, not a human being.

3) Unfortunately, the owner will be the person LEAST affected of all Chick-fil-A employees. Many people could lose their jobs. Jobs that they may NEED to support their family. For example, in that article it mentions that "Some students at New York University want their location closed." Will the owner lose sleep over this? No. Will the current employees lose their jobs and possibly fall into financial problems? VERY MUCH YES. It's hard enough to get by in this economy. I'm sure many of those employees support g@y marriage - some may even be part of the LGBT community!

Argument summarized. =P
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-02-2012, 09:29 PM

^ This. The people who want the restaurants closed, are they willing to pay to feed the families of the employees who lose their jobs? Somehow, I don't think so.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 08-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Another note: One of those groups he donates to started a violent Anti-G*y campaign in Uganda to the tune of death sentences for all g*y people.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 08-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Well then he's a bad person, I guess. So we should all send him angry letters and try to demand he retire or sell it to someone else. I HATE the fact that a boycott hurts thousands of others who need their jobs far more than it will hurt the owner. Fact is, A BOYCOTT IS NOT THE RIGHT ANSWER. Protest outside the Chick-fil-A headquarters demanding an apology. Wear "*** IS OK" t-shirts when going in to Chick-fil-A. Send unrelenting emails and letters to Chick-fil-A with your feelings on the subject.

SUPPORT G@Y MARRIAGE, but not at the risk of other, lower-middle class people's jobs. I feel soooooo bad for those people because they didn't start working there because they agree with him. They had NO CLUE that the owner felt like that. THEY ARE INNOCENT PEOPLE.

I 150% support g@y marriage - BUT I also support people being able to afford living. If boycotters are willing to give money to people who will lose their jobs (an average of their weekly pay), like Miranda said, then feel free to go ahead. I worked at Tim Hortons last year and I know if they were boycotted and I lost my job over it, my hubby and I would have been FINANCIALLY SCR'EWED. I would have to scramble to get on unemployment or welfare, we would both have to beg our families for money. THAT IS WHY I CANNOT SUPPORT A BOYCOTT. I feel for the thousands of other people affected by this - I don't give a sh*t about the owner.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 08-04-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm not saying 'prosecute the business' I say prosecute the man. No, it isn't fair that these people may lose their jobs, no it isn't fair that they have bills to pay and families to feed but you can blame websites like Reddit, Facebook, et cetera for people's stupidity thanks to the Mob Mindset type of thing that follows events like this. The worst possible thing you could do is boycott the company because you're not boycotting him, you're boycotting the employees' lives and wellbeing.

I know that. We ALL know that.

But you're always going to have the loony nutjobs that think an entire company is "a person" who follows the president's "Values."

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm

Last edited by Silent_Wolf : 08-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 08-04-2012, 01:35 PM

This is probably going to sound very harsh, but I am tired of hearing about it on the news everyday. Everytime I turn on the TV, something is mentioned about it. Now everyone on Facebook feels the need to clog my newsfeed with their personal opinions on the matter. Writing a Facebook status about it isn't going to solve anything: try political activism for or against g.ay marriage.

Sorry if slightly ranty..it is just this has been annoying me. Of course, I live in a very Republican/Conservative state so that might be why.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 08-04-2012, 07:31 PM

I didn't mean to seem angry and use so many caps. I actually didn't realize I capitalized that many words. It sounded like you were against me so I had to further explain my thoughts. Sorry 'bout that.

Not everyone seems to know that. Maybe people on this website do, but there are tons of people boycotting, so obviously not everyone knows. You're right, it is the media and the mob-mindset at work.

Catlover, I completely agree. It has nothing to do with living in a Conservative area, because I feel the same way. I watch Colbert and The Daily Show and they mention it EVERY NIGHT. Super annoying. >_<