Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-31-2012, 11:19 PM

Aaron, that second thing you mentioned...when I was in grade school in the after-school day care program (which was terrible), we used to play games on the playground (which I just realized were RP games; here's why: ). There was always this one kid who would go power crazy. Every time anyone tried to take the game play in a different direction, he'd take over! it got suuuuuupppeeeerrr fruuuuusssssstrraaaating (that was my long, drawn out way of expressing how annoying it was, ha.) it got to the point where we stopped playing those games because he sucked all the fun out of them. Like, we'd pretend the playground equipment was a castle and then he'd decide if anyone touched a certain color, they were "zapped" with out anyone else agreeing to said rule.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire1996 View Post
Oh dear, that would have been more than slightly irritating. To have to go through the whole 'no one else was around' game before actually getting to the conversation or whatever was going on.
Yeah; it was really annoying. The same person used to also try and bring the RP action to centre round her characters, which was annoying. In the end, everyone was making private RPs just so that she couldn't join.

Another annoying RP thing, this is related to godmoding and Mary Sues. People who make "Prince/ss of all the vampires" type characters, who have to be the leader of the species when it just doesn't make sense. Every time I used to see a character like that in an RP on this site, I'd avoid it. Cuz either it ends up with the person who has that character godmoding everyone or with two Suethors battling it out to the death and I like to avoid such trainwrecks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 04-01-2012, 12:48 PM

I don't role play much on here anymore, but one thing that always bothered me, even when I was just reading fiction or fan fiction, was flowery descriptions. This is a role play for crying out loud, not a novel. What makes it worse is that is leads into Mary Sueness..The way I view it is, if it doesn't really enhance or further the story, we don't need 5 paragraphs of unnecessary writing.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-01-2012, 03:40 PM

Especially if all you're doing is describing the character's looks. -.-

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Exactly, which is why detest it so much. Because no one really cares about how your character's golden blonde hair cascades freely down her shoulders, two highlights seamlessly combining into one angelic hue. *shudder* It even hurt to write that..

Though, I suppose people whose post have absolutely no alluring vocabulary or actions can get boring too. I guess you just have to find the midway point and stay that.

Ah, how I miss roleplaying.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-01-2012, 04:13 PM

You could always start one, just ask some of your friends to play with you and you're good to go. I've relaxed the rule about categories; now, all you need to do is write a good intro and you're good to go. I can always help you if needed. ^^

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-01-2012, 06:47 PM

And I'm pretty sure there won't be too many flowery descriptions floating around here

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM

I remember someone trying to join an RP here with a metric ton of purple prose in their character profile. Dear god, it was awful. O.o

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Yeah. Description is good, but not too much description, and definitely not too much description telling you how beautiful a character is.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Yeah.

Another thing I despise (and there's lots of them! XD) is too tragic pasts and/or unrealisticness. That of course depends on the premis of the RP, but a lot of people go way too overboard with the tragicness in their character. You really don't need your character to constantly be going on and on about their hard life, or about the tragedy in their past; most people who have suffered don't bring it up at every opportunity.

As for unrealisticness, the same person who went overboard on the flowery purple prose seemed to not understand that one problem with her character was the way she was still beautiful after the life she'd led. If a character has gone thru their life fighting, they'd have scars for example. If a character was burned in a fire, they would not recover physically from it. A character who's human and drug addicted is not going to be breathtakingly beautiful. A bit of research goes a long way.