Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Mary Sue - Her Many Incarnations - 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Put this in here as I don't want any Mary Sues in the RPG forum, in whatever form. O_o Also, this encourages more discussion. XD Posted in parts due to character/image limit.

Warrior!Sue.

This Sue is normally obnoxious, with mad fighting skills that she picked up instantaniously. She is often Elven, and wears enticingly scanty armour which doesn't seem to hamper her in a battle scene, from which she emerges without a single scratch. Warrior!Sue often has a tragic past, like her parents being killed, which leads her to strap on swords and become a warrior. She will, of course, be so much better at fighting than the male characters in the story who will be constantly telling her that girls can't fight right up til the moment she proves them wrong.

Emo!Sue.

Also known as Angst!Sue, this Mary Sue is always depressive, always whining, and always miserable. She will have an awful past, full of abuse, rape and other hideous things and characters will constantly be offering Emo!Sue tea and sympathy, as well as reassuring her that her minor misdeeds are in fact, minor, and that her guilt over the time that she accidentally spilled black nail polish on a kitten is unfounded. Such Sues tend to appear to any sane person as terrible company, yet will have characters hovering around them constantly.

Hybrid!Sue.

This Sue is the result of a cross breeding; sometimes between two normally diverse species, such as between a human and a dragon, other times the Hybrid!Sue manifests as a catgirl or foxgirl. Naturally, the Sue is the last of her kind, and very wise. Such heritage, naturally, grants her certain magical talents, the nature of which varies with the individual Sue. Curiously, the Sue seldom manifests any outward traits of her outlandish parent(s), beyond a pair of tastefully pointed ears, a cute tail and/or odd-colored eyes.

Goth!Sue.

Dresses all in black and exudes angst; this Sue is similar in some ways to the aforementioned Emo!Sue. However, Goth!Sue is also extremely aggressive and exhibits all the signs of an anger management problem. She snaps at people who try and emphasise with her, and tears down characters who attempt to judge her right to be how she likes. This Sue will often be a vampire, even in worlds which don't have them.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Purity!Sue.

The original and worst; Purity!Sue is perfect in every way. She has curves in all the right places, long, beautifully kept hair, is good, kind to animals and clever in everything. Men fall at her feet and women are jealous of her beauty and good qualities. Meeting a Purity!Sue has the effect on most sane people similar to eating an entire jar of golden syrup in one go.

Magical!Sue.

Usually either a good witch, a fairy, or a mermaid (or sometimes all three), magic runs thru this Sue's veins. She has great, often "elemental" powers, which she wields unpredictably. She may be disguised as a human girl, but more typically appears in her true form, without explanation. She can often change at will, for example, a mermaid who inexplicably swaps her tail for legs to go on land or a fairy who can grow to normal size.

Sl*t!Sue.

This Sue likes to show plenty of leg and cleavage and is extremely wanten in her ways. She will sleep with every single male canon character who can't run away fast enough, and will ruthlessly cut down any female canon who she sees as getting in her way. Strangely enough, Sl*t!Sue will never catch any unpleasant diseases as a result of her promiscuity, and any pregnancies will be wanted and will ensure that the man in question propose marriage.

Elvish!Sue.

S. tolkienii is, by her own evidence, a member of the Elvish races of Middle-Earth, as detailed by J. R. R. Tolkien. There is apparently a brisk interdimensional business in illegal adoptions, for a large number of these Sues have been raised on modern Earth by human parents. The average Elven Sue is eerily beautiful, adept at archery, telepathic, and given to scolding canon characters, particularly human ones. Often falls in love with Legolas or Aragorn, but never Gimli.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Default 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM

HAHA!

"Often falls in love with Legolas or Aragorn, but never Gimli."

This is great. I find the Purity sues the most vomit inducing, along with the hybrids.

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Did you write these? They're absolutely hilarious. This is my favorite:

Quote:
She will have an awful past, full of abuse, rape and other hideous things and characters will constantly be offering Emo!Sue tea and sympathy, as well as reassuring her that her minor misdeeds are in fact, minor, and that her guilt over the time that she accidentally spilled black nail polish on a kitten is unfounded.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-10-2011, 07:46 PM

XD

Warrior Sues are the worst -.-

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah; I wrote the descriptions. XD I always dislike Elven Sues and Warrior Sues, altho Purity Sues are just as annoying.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Four more Sues, complete with descriptions and illustrations. XD

Japanese!Sue. This Sue has two main types, so will describe each one separately.

Geisha!Sue.

This Sue generally dresses in traditional Japanese gear, tho there's nearly always something a little off about it. She will be part of a world where her appearance and behaviour does not fit in at all, and will act in a stereotypical fashion. Geisha!Sue will often be written as behaving just like a fifteen year old schoolgirl, mirroring the Suethor and indicating that she Did Not Do The Research.

Kawaii!Sue.

Also Did Not Do The Research, this particularly irritating Sue will spout odd Japanese words at every opportunity. While randomly saying "Kawaii!" is most popular, this Sue will also call every single person -chan and greet them with "Konnichiwa!" Kawaii!Sue will also spout pointless drivel about every anime her creator has seen, regardless of whether it's appropriate for the world where she is, or the time era the world is set in.

Exchange Student!Sue.

Usually an American exchange student at Hogwarts, altho on occasion a Sue of this kind will fall into Middle Earth. ES!Sue will inexplicably go to Hogwarts, altho there's at least one canon magic school in America, ie the Salem Witches Institute, and will proceed to take over everything, including being the bestest friend of the Golden Trio. A "fell to Middle Earth" Sue will conversely join the Fellowship and get everything into a muddle by saving Gandalf from the Balrog and preventing Boromir's death.

Gary Stu.

Gary Stu is worth mentioning on this guide, for he is the male equivilent of Mary Sue. Also called Marty Stu, Larry Stu or Gary Sue. Gary Stu is usually breathtakingly handsome, is misunderstood and has a tragic past. He can be either a preppy pretty boy or a brooding, dark goth; or even a combination of the two, and invariably saves the day and gets the girl. Unless he's the star of a slash story, in which case he gets the guy. Like his sister, Gary Stu is incredibly irritating to anyone who writes properly, and is annoyingly perfect.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 07-31-2011 at 10:56 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM

Finally, some Japanese sues in the mix! Great descriptions, Miranda

On the topic of slashy Gary Stu, I feel like there are some stereotypical sub categories within the *** slash world. Like you always have the mean, bossy *** man who is secretly sensitive and then you always have your submissive sort who is overly sensitive. Its a bit insane really.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM

What annoys me in slash stories is when one half of the couple is written as being like a prissy little girl. If you're going to write one man as being a girl, then why not write hetfic?! And of course, the whole seme/uke thing, which does not apply to every single g@y relationship in the world.

Going back to the Sues; Kawaii!Sue is the most irritating of the most recent four, I think. Especially since a lot of Suethors who utilise this particular Sue have learned all their Japanese from anime subs and therefore have not the slightest idea about how the language is spoken, or about different contexts. For example; while not an expert on Japanese, I read somewhere that Konnichiwa actually means "Good afternoon". Yet I've seen it used by people as a general greeting.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 08-04-2011 at 09:14 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Agh, this one particular fan fiction is irritating me right now, it features the absolutely perfect, sweet as sugar sue. Unfortunately although she's been bombarded with critique, and suggestions, the author refuses to accept other people's advice, isn't that what improving is about.

But no, apparently it's perfectly fine to have a sue whose personality description is 'she can wield any type of magic, due to her powers, and is more powerful than anyone else. She is kind, funny and caring. Everyone thinks she is beautiful and all the girls want to look like her. All of the boys secretly like her, but are too scared to ask her out. Everyone likes her'.

askchsahcabxaackadhbcasjkcnaikcsdb!

And then she complains about people 'deliberately picking on her because they can't come up with interesting characters of their own'. So far the comments have all been polite, with pointers on how to improve and helpful websites as well as the person commenting's personal advice on what she could do to improve. Not one is accusing her of anything bad and yet she reacts as though the world is ending.

It makes me so darn mad.

Sorry, I'm turning this into the anger threat and beginning to rant.

But honestly, when I'm sick and feel like reading a good fan fiction this is not what I want to have to put up with!

I'm off to find a better fanfic. One with a plot line and characters with a bit more substance. Hmph.