Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Mary Sue - Her Many Incarnations - 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Put this in here as I don't want any Mary Sues in the RPG forum, in whatever form. O_o Also, this encourages more discussion. XD Posted in parts due to character/image limit.

Warrior!Sue.

This Sue is normally obnoxious, with mad fighting skills that she picked up instantaniously. She is often Elven, and wears enticingly scanty armour which doesn't seem to hamper her in a battle scene, from which she emerges without a single scratch. Warrior!Sue often has a tragic past, like her parents being killed, which leads her to strap on swords and become a warrior. She will, of course, be so much better at fighting than the male characters in the story who will be constantly telling her that girls can't fight right up til the moment she proves them wrong.

Emo!Sue.

Also known as Angst!Sue, this Mary Sue is always depressive, always whining, and always miserable. She will have an awful past, full of abuse, rape and other hideous things and characters will constantly be offering Emo!Sue tea and sympathy, as well as reassuring her that her minor misdeeds are in fact, minor, and that her guilt over the time that she accidentally spilled black nail polish on a kitten is unfounded. Such Sues tend to appear to any sane person as terrible company, yet will have characters hovering around them constantly.

Hybrid!Sue.

This Sue is the result of a cross breeding; sometimes between two normally diverse species, such as between a human and a dragon, other times the Hybrid!Sue manifests as a catgirl or foxgirl. Naturally, the Sue is the last of her kind, and very wise. Such heritage, naturally, grants her certain magical talents, the nature of which varies with the individual Sue. Curiously, the Sue seldom manifests any outward traits of her outlandish parent(s), beyond a pair of tastefully pointed ears, a cute tail and/or odd-colored eyes.

Goth!Sue.

Dresses all in black and exudes angst; this Sue is similar in some ways to the aforementioned Emo!Sue. However, Goth!Sue is also extremely aggressive and exhibits all the signs of an anger management problem. She snaps at people who try and emphasise with her, and tears down characters who attempt to judge her right to be how she likes. This Sue will often be a vampire, even in worlds which don't have them.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Purity!Sue.

The original and worst; Purity!Sue is perfect in every way. She has curves in all the right places, long, beautifully kept hair, is good, kind to animals and clever in everything. Men fall at her feet and women are jealous of her beauty and good qualities. Meeting a Purity!Sue has the effect on most sane people similar to eating an entire jar of golden syrup in one go.

Magical!Sue.

Usually either a good witch, a fairy, or a mermaid (or sometimes all three), magic runs thru this Sue's veins. She has great, often "elemental" powers, which she wields unpredictably. She may be disguised as a human girl, but more typically appears in her true form, without explanation. She can often change at will, for example, a mermaid who inexplicably swaps her tail for legs to go on land or a fairy who can grow to normal size.

Sl*t!Sue.

This Sue likes to show plenty of leg and cleavage and is extremely wanten in her ways. She will sleep with every single male canon character who can't run away fast enough, and will ruthlessly cut down any female canon who she sees as getting in her way. Strangely enough, Sl*t!Sue will never catch any unpleasant diseases as a result of her promiscuity, and any pregnancies will be wanted and will ensure that the man in question propose marriage.

Elvish!Sue.

S. tolkienii is, by her own evidence, a member of the Elvish races of Middle-Earth, as detailed by J. R. R. Tolkien. There is apparently a brisk interdimensional business in illegal adoptions, for a large number of these Sues have been raised on modern Earth by human parents. The average Elven Sue is eerily beautiful, adept at archery, telepathic, and given to scolding canon characters, particularly human ones. Often falls in love with Legolas or Aragorn, but never Gimli.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Default 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM

HAHA!

"Often falls in love with Legolas or Aragorn, but never Gimli."

This is great. I find the Purity sues the most vomit inducing, along with the hybrids.

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Did you write these? They're absolutely hilarious. This is my favorite:

Quote:
She will have an awful past, full of abuse, rape and other hideous things and characters will constantly be offering Emo!Sue tea and sympathy, as well as reassuring her that her minor misdeeds are in fact, minor, and that her guilt over the time that she accidentally spilled black nail polish on a kitten is unfounded.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-10-2011, 07:46 PM

XD

Warrior Sues are the worst -.-

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah; I wrote the descriptions. XD I always dislike Elven Sues and Warrior Sues, altho Purity Sues are just as annoying.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Purity Sue's are annoying because nobody on the Earth, solar system or universe is like that. I think some people are just afraid to give their stories or roleplays some edge.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-10-2011, 10:15 PM

The other annoying Sue is the misnamed one, the one who somehow manages to have a Japanese name despite having two American parents, or the one with an English name despite the fact both their parents are Japanese. There are circumstances where it can work but without any explanation, it's a little Sue-ish sometimes.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 07-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Now, by popular request, the Harry Potter Sues defined. They are described in the Suewarts Sorting Hat song. Full song can be read here. Note: All Sues save Qanonreip are pictured out of uniform, cuz that's how they're usually depicted in Suefic.

Sparklypoo Sue.

You might belong in Sparklypoo
Where dwell the pure at heart
Their perfect looks and perkiness
Set Sparklypoos apart

B*tchiwitch Sue.

You might belong in B*tchiwitch
With losers and with freaks
Those poor and angsty little things
Are goths and brains and geeks

TootsiTramp Sue.

Or yet in sk@nky Tootsitramp
You'll spend your nights and days
If you like to show off cleavage
And are wanton in your ways

Qanonreip Sue.

Or perhaps in Qanonreip
You'll make your real friends
Those authors will Sue anyone
To make their stories' ends.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 07-16-2011, 07:06 PM

The Warcraft private server I play on for WoWRP is just... awash with these things. Q_Q

I take great strides to prevent Amella from turning into a Warrior!Sue, or an Elvish!Sue. GREAT STRIDES. Amella doesn't usually get tied up in the melee; she runs away and pelts arrows back at whoever started a fight. Moreover, she often goes out of her way to avoid fighting, possibly by simply talking her way out of it, as she's well aware the world can do with a little less conflict.

While Amella does have a fairly tragic past (90% of the High Elven race were slaughtered by the Undead Scourge) that's nothing abnormal among High Elves, obviously. Unlike some of them, I don't let Amella rage endlessly about it. (*COUGH*Sylvanas*COUGH*) She holds some anger, obviously, over the slaughter of her people, but not to the point where it becomes anything major. She participated in many war efforts leading up to the destruction of the Necromancer responsible, but she wasn't present when he was finally killed.

Also, she wears full leather armour in combat, not some skimpy piece of chainmail that hardly covers her privacy. X_x That said, I have been a bit guilty of the "BARE YOUR MIDRIFF!" trope with her in the past (shuttup) but it's common sense not to run into any kind of combat with your stomach showing; you'll be torn in half. Amella is dangerously genre savvy, and knows this. xD

While she is adept at archery, this is again nothing special for Elven Rangers. They have plenty of time to practice, and have mastered the art over time. Many of her attacks stem from trick arrows (enchantments, special metal or stone arrowheads, et cetera). Amella is not telepathic. No Elf is. End of bloody story!

Now that I'm done ranting about Amella, I'll get on to the other filth that the server I frequent is awash with.

Emo!Sues: If you see an Elf in black who isn't a Dark Ranger, or Amella, then you can bet she's one of these little whiners. Even worse if it's an Undead, but fair enough, many Undead are just nuts these days, not emo. A few emo whingers do turn up every now and again, thought. Death Knights, too, have their share of emos, mostly Elves.

Elvish!Sues: Despite the fact that a solid 90% of the Elven race got their ***** soundly murdered by the Lich King, about 90% of the player population are Elves. Mainly High Elves, too, in defiance of the fact that 90% of that 10% became Blood Elves, leaving the High Elf population at a staggering 1% of its former size. Moreover, most of them are lolrangers who couldn't play the class properly if... yeah. There is great controversy on the matter, to the point where Elven players are automatically considered unskilled in roleplay on sight, just by virtue of the fact that they're Elves.

It doesn't help that the Elven model is extremely scrawny and weak looking, but most everyone does the impossible in combat anyway. This can include Elven males in full, ridiculously ornamental armour wielding two massive claymore swords, which by all means should break their arms, and then running at full pelt without tiring. It can also include people just wielding two swords; it is EXTREMELY difficult to fight with two swords. The fact of the matter is that while the movies would have you believe it's ****-easy, it actually requires great physical strength and huge concentration to achieve properly. Somebody with a single longsword could probably tear the hell out of some moronic Elf running around with two of the same sword, but does anybody heed reality in this? Nope! In this way, Elvish!Sues tend to overlap with Warrior!Sues on mah server.

Goth!Sues: We have these in the form of yet more da.mn Elves, typically Elf Death Knights, and they are horrible. We even have some horrible wannabe horror guild, led by some telekinetic elf called Alma Wade (you heard) who fancies herself a goff. I've seen their roleplays in the past; they even have some Elf Death Knight with a scythe running around with the name 'Death'. It's piteous.

Purity!Sues: These turn up in male and female versions. Usually High Elf (ugh.) Paladins or Templars who constantly display abilities to control the light that DWARF the most powerful holy champions. I've even been on the end of one idiotic Elf who literally flicked his sword in my direction and claimed that this summoned a massive wave of holy fire that "would" be washing towards me "right about now." I defied the laws of magic and reality and quickly ejected him from the tower with a knockback. xD

Above, I mentioned "would." "Wouldmoting" is a terrible plague we suffer from daily; we use a system called emoting to display character behaviour beyond words and/or most combat. For example, somebody could type "/e nods approvingly at the emissary, still toying with the parchment lying around on the map table". This is all well and good, until we get the apologetic idiots who insist on putting "would" before EVERYTHING. "/e would eat" "/e would drink" "/e would someday die of brain cancer" et cetera, et cetera.

But, back to the Purity!Sues. As is usual with idiotic Elves, they don't even know how to play their class properly; Paladins are warriors of the light, bound heavily by the rules of their orders and personal honour. The exceptions are Blood Elven Blood Knights, who literally "steal" light energy to use from a bound divine being.

The Purity!Sue Elf Paladins have none of this; they frequently do things in roleplays that would have their powers removed in the blink of an eye if they weren't defiant men of steel who apparently could easily beat up all their superiors and live to tell the tale. They also exhibit annoying behaviours such as constantly sighing or ignoring lethal threats completely (see: the **** walking into the burning Inn.)

But, I've ranted long enough. I should be posting this on the server forums, not here, but hey, I've posted it before, and it's not as though the noobs bother to read the forums at all. =|

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant