Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#261 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-17-2011, 10:17 PM

XD

I don't think I quite understood accents when I was little, I would simply make my voice deeper and think that that was pretty much it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#262 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 06-18-2011, 12:12 AM

There's an Irish accent, and then there's a Dublin accent. Hell, I think there's actually a Limerick accent, but I don't get to hear people from Limerick talk much, so I can't be sure.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#263 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 06-18-2011, 07:11 AM

@ Chessie: that's cute! XD I, meanwhile, as a kid, though Scar was the sh.t because of his English accent. XD Because of that movie my mom introduced the idea of accents t me...

@ Aaron: I shall learn them ALL! *insert Pokemon heme* I shall be accent master!

But, no, really, my university offers exchange student programs to Ireland... I'm am very tempted... what better opportunity to pick up an accent than to visit those who speak it daily? That, and I have a LOT of Irish in my blood... over half, and, considering I've got a bunch of other things jumbled in like practically all other Americans, that's a high percentage.

Yes, I'm proud of my Irish heritage; who else could be so awesome as to invent Halloween as my Celtic ancestors?

(#264 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-18-2011, 08:03 AM

It always makes me laugh when people think that all English people speak posh. XD

(#265 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM

FOOLS! XD I correct them by introducing them to some of your slang and confusing the hell out of them.

(#266 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-18-2011, 12:10 PM

If I study abroad, I'm going to Ireland. My mom got to go, I really want to go. i mean, her whole side of the family is from there...just go back 3 or 4 generations...I'm named after my great great great...great? grandma. She spelled her name wrong, which is why mine isn't spelled right. (Bridget vs. Brigid)

Funny story, for speech team soph year my HI was a piece called "Accents, Inc." It included lessons on how to talk Cockney, British, French, Scottish, and Swedish. (Of course, everyone knows all Swedes sound like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets...yes, that was in the script. It was Humorous Interp after all). I couldn't do Swedish correctly, though, so we cut it. But it was a fun piece and it gave me an excuse to talk in random accents.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
(#267 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 06-18-2011, 03:14 PM

I could probably pull of an Israeli accent if I really tried. My mom has the strongest New York accent, everyone thinks she is from Jersey though.

In other news, this day marks my 5th year on TDP.

(#268 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-18-2011, 06:54 PM

*yay*

No such thing as a "British" accent; there are Scots and Irish who'd resent muchly that insinuation. XD In any case, there are tons of different accents within each country; and even within each county. That would be like saying that Mexicans and Canadians have an "American" accent. XD

(#269 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM

XDD When people say "American", they usually are referring to "U. S. of America"... what else can you call it? We can't really be called "Statians", or something.

(#270 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 06-18-2011, 11:37 PM

Exchange program? Ireland? America would. xD This will sound crazy ignorant of me, but do you know what nettles are over there? I think I once heard this story of some American getting stung by nettles and having no idea about dock leaves, which are the most immediate remedy for nettle stings.

Now, the thing about foreigners in Ireland is they were apparently born in a barn. They keep leaving gates open, and it's hilarious. "Why are yer cattle running around outside therr field, farmer watsit?" "Poxy foreigners let 'em owt!" "A'right."

I dislike people who think a Scottish and Irish accent sound the same. X_X An Irish accent is awesome, but a Scottish accent is just plain odd. It's like an overblown Irish accent, or something. Conveniently, I don't have to hear Scots talk. XD

Funny enough, I've never heard a Welsh accent in my life, and have to wonder what it actually sounds like. :S

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant