Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Finally a 3 day weekend so I can go on TDP!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old
KiraIMustBeInvisible (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-31-2014, 07:03 PM

I'm back? Or something? Idk, HI GUYS

"Are you my mummy?" "Don't blink." "Count the shadows." "Look behind you."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 02-01-2014, 08:41 AM

Hey, WB. Not too many people active on this site now, but good to see you back anyway.

My hubby loves Dr. Who. He and my brother watch it all the time. :P
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM

EEXTTEEEER-MIIIN-AAAAATE!

Yeah I love Doctor Who. I haven't even watched it all yet, but it's on my list, so. Koschei best Time Lord.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-05-2014, 11:58 PM

No one was random for a month? :O

Omg, watched a documentary on Netflix about Hiroshima... so sad. =(

There was this one woman who was having dinner with her family (husband and daughter) that morning and after the bomb, her little 5 year old daughter was trapped under the rubble. They couldn't get her out from under it and the flames crept closer and eventually killed her. She could hear her daughter screaming for help as she was burned alive.

This other one was sad, but cute. This little boy was at school playing hide and seek with his friends and after the bomb hit, he was crying out for help and a soldier came and picked him up. He brought him quite a ways away until the boy's father happened to see his son (amazing coincidence) and ran over, took him from the soldier, and said to him, "You saved my son, thank you, you are a savior."

I just can't get over how awful the atomic bomb was. All the American soldiers who flew the plane (that they interviewed) all seemed pretty proud to have killed hundreds or thousands of innocent Japanese civilians...

Paraphrasing one of their quotes, "Hiroshima wasn't Truman's fault, or America's fault, it was the Japanese's fault for not complying to the surrender."

So, by that logic... if a mugger comes up to me with a knife and tells me to give them all my money or they will kill my family, I say no, and then they stab my family... Then it's my fault because I could have 'surrendered' and avoided that. It's not the thief/murderer's fault that I didn't surrender, so I'm to blame. >_>

NOTE: The war against GERMANY was practically over thanks to British, French, and Canadian troops. The Americans didn't join until after Pearl Harbor. Until then, they wanted nothing to do with it.

Also, obviously tragic, the attack on Pearl Harbor killed about 2500. The atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki (although impossibly to get exact figures because many people were instantly turned to ash from the extreme heat, effectively vaporized in the blast) killed between 100,000-150,000 and 60,000 - 80,000 (of mostly civilians) respectively.

Apparently, Japanese were already considering surrender due to the Soviets threat to declare war. Also, the second bombing in Nagasaki was SURELY unnecessary. It happened only a few days after, before they had any time to process the idea of surrender.

Of course, I'm a believer in peace and hate anything that takes innocent lives... war, guns, etc. None of it's necessary. We're supposed to be extremely intelligent and advanced beings, but yet we use our advanced brain power to create better bombs and weapons to kill one another with instead of spending that money to curing cancer or ending poverty... T_T

Anyway... // end rant.
Old
LadyBast0911 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Rating: Not Rated
Default 03-06-2014, 11:48 PM

I have conflicted feelings about the Atomic Bombs.

Yes, they are incredibly horrible and I truly wish that we had never created them. I mean, nuclear weapons is basically a death sentence for a good 10 years or more. I mean, look at Chernobyl.

On the other hand: From the American viewpoint, the Japanese were terrifying. I mean, they would literally fight til death and they had such a strict honour code that we knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight. I mean, they had kamikazes.

Our thinking was, if we bomb them, they will surrender and we can save thousands upon thousands of lives both ways. I mean, if we had gone to war and not drop the bombs, I probably would not have been born nor half of our population. And that would have been for both sides.

Now, dropping both bombs was probably not needed. I just...either way it was not going to be pretty. Truman had a very hard decision because either way, lives were going to be lost. He just made it to where more Japanese lives were lost than American. Not saying its right, just saying that's how it was.

What was the documentary title, tho. I might watch it.

Oh and the other thing. We were being informed that they were training civilians how to fight.

Being single doesn't make you weak, it means that you are strong enough to be on your own; Being alone could be a good thing, because there is no drama involved in your life, no pain, and free to do what ever you want. Life is too short to be chasing those who aren't even worth fighting for, you are worth more than that.
<3
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-07-2014, 12:01 AM

I think it was just called Hiroshima, but I'm not sure.

I believe the potential Soviet Invasion (their threat to invade Japan) had as great of an effect on the Japanese as the bomb did. Also, if it had been dropped on a less populated area, they still could have shown the effects, but just saved a lot of the lives lost.

Atomic bombs... It changes the whole unspoken rules of war. It's like bringing a gun to a fist fight. Regular bombs would have been sufficient, IMO, and wouldn't have had as devastating of effects. If atomic weapons hadn't been used, all the worry about 'nuclear war' now might not have been. But now that it's been used, it can be threatened, and unfortunately, I don't doubt that it will be used again by someone against someone else.

They were training civilians to fight, but I would have been opposed to America going over there to war as well. There are other ways to do things. And just because civilians were being trained, doesn't make them soldiers. It's not as though they weren't innocent.

Simply put, bomb them with regular bombs on military areas. Not atomic bombs nearby elementary schools, killing thousands of innocent children.
Old
LadyBast0911 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Rating: Not Rated
Default 03-07-2014, 12:10 AM

Oh I agree. But we were at the time bombing them with regular bombs and it wasn't having an effect.

The nuclear bomb was our last resort and...I don't know. I don't think that there is ever going to be a right or wrong answer for this situation.

I hate the fact that it was dropped on civilians. I wish we would have dropped it on military bases or in a smaller population.

I am just so conflicted because it did save so many American lives, including my grandfather's but at the same time it sickens me to know that it was only because we killed hundred upon thousands more.

Being single doesn't make you weak, it means that you are strong enough to be on your own; Being alone could be a good thing, because there is no drama involved in your life, no pain, and free to do what ever you want. Life is too short to be chasing those who aren't even worth fighting for, you are worth more than that.
<3
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-07-2014, 12:32 AM

It was dropped on a military base though, just one that was in a well populated city.

It's the whole 'was it necessary for the greater good of mankind?' debate. Specifically, dropping an atomic bomb of that size on a city populated with innocents (and then doing it AGAIN days later to another civilian city), I don't think was necessary. But then again, we weren't there so we don't know what alternatives were discussed, we can never have all the information as to what each leader was thinking, and we can't go back in time and see what would happen otherwise.
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-07-2014, 01:28 AM

I think that two bombs was overkill. One would have sufficed. I also hate it when Americans claim they won the war. Um, Battle of Britain ring any bells? The war was already won against Germany when the Yanks entered the war, cuz the Brits refused to bow down before Hitler's tyranny. He thought that the Blitz would make the British surrender, but it had the opposite effect due to British bloody mindedness.