Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 04-19-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowersFall View Post
I can't believe Di'ck Clark died...at least he had a long good life, buts its going to be sad not seeing him on tv this New Years Eve
Aw.

I've made some progress on the mary sue contest doll. I found a base, gave it elf ears (which don't look stupid, shockingly) and managed to get Frostmourne into her hand. Now there's a problem; iaza decided it would be best for everyone if it covered the sword in little green and pink .gif particles. -_- Need to retool it before I can continue properly. Besides that things are going better than usual, because I actually have a plan.

So, has anybody else ever watched Young Dracula? It's a hilarious vampire program about Count Dracula and his family moving to a derelict castle in Wales because of some incidents with an angry peasant mob. xD

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old
Renbox (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: Not Rated
Default 04-19-2012, 04:23 AM

Hate work ughughugh. Corral all RP'ers like that in one RP and *maybe* they'll see how boring it is with fifty gorgeous undead immortal invincible maidens constantly outmastering each other in everything. Or they'd just have a blast and make me want to shoot myself. Also, is this Harry Potter RP the newbie one you spoke of, Miranda?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 04-19-2012, 04:42 AM

It is, Renbox.

Oh, F*CK! I'm after doing something to MSpaint and now every time I right click on the colour bar, it gives me a box like this.

[__|Add group to quick access toolbar________]
[__|Show quick access toolbar below the ribbon]
[__|Minimize the ribbon.____________________]

Oh noes, what do I do? >< I can't pixel if I can't select a secondary colour. Dfdsgebherbher!

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
Old
Renbox (Offline)
Bonita

Default 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM

Alright, a cursory scan of the HP RP has given me pause. I wholeheartedly support having such an evaluation system in place to **** out poor writers, but the critiques themselves at times veer almost flippantly into the subjective. Having your writing derided and nitpicked by a peer is a quick and easy fun drain. I'm happy to do it, it's hard to find a community of decent writers on the net, but I'm seeing more going on there than just a verification of grammar competency and non-Sue character creation. I really, really hope I don't sound like a jerk.

EDIT: That interesting asterisked word was w|e|e|d (ha), so in lieu of that you can read it as "separate out."

Last edited by Renbox : 04-19-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-19-2012, 07:22 AM

That might be what you're seeing, but I assure you, it's not the case. All we want to do in the newbies RP is ensure that a) RPers do not have Sues and b) can at least write fairly well.

Personally, I'm lax on perfect grammar and typing, cuz I'm a lazy typist myself, but I draw the line at posts that are a mess of incorrect spelling due to the fact that there are such things as spellchecks available, and also posts that contain constant chatspeak.

However, if someone posts as a character who's obviously a badly written Sue, well of course they're going to get it in the neck, especially if they're a previous offender who's only posting in the Newbies RP after extreme pressure. I cleaned up the thread a little while ago to get rid of flames and spiteful backchatting, but honestly, there were quite a few people who didn't like their CC and responded in such a way. I cleaned it out of the thread cuz it was frankly a waste of space.

Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM

*cough cough* This is what I meant by I think the high expectations are turning off new RPers... *cough cough* That is all.

In other news, I need to stop picking at scabs... My cat scratched me a little while back and, although it really was a terrible CAT scratch, now looks like a battle scar. >_<

I'M GONNA EAT PIZZA NOW.

In other OTHER news, I really wish it didn't have to be medium sized bases for the Miss TDP thing. I'm in love with the base I used for my last couple dolls (the one in my avatar) and it has so many poses, but unfortunately, it's a little small I think to fit into that category. Lame-o. I can't even get on pixistar to find one of my other favourite bases (the maker took their old bases off their dA. Grrr).
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-21-2012, 06:58 AM

I don't see how it's high expectations to expect RPers to not have a Mary Sue.

If you'd like to overhaul the Newbies RP, then feel free; I was thinking about doing that, but if you think you can make it so in such a way to make it look more friendly, yet still ensure that Sues do not rear their ugly heads, feel free. ^^

Last edited by Miranda_ : 04-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old
Renbox (Offline)
Bonita

Default 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM

I hope I didn't come off as overly aggressive. I think the problem is that RPing is a recreational activity; applying too much processing, well, it makes it not as fun. The system in place is well-designed, just perhaps a bit more extensive than it needs to be. I think a sample character submission would suffice, either from a past RP in which they were involved, or an original piece as a quick-and-easy creative exercise. In the meantime, I better get to work on my own.
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 04-22-2012, 01:48 PM

^ Don't worry, you didn't, and I agree with you 100%. I used to feel like it worked fine, but after leaving and coming back, I found it harder to start RPing again and now I can see what it's like on the other side of things. Maybe I'll take you up on that, Miranda, and give the "Newbies RP" a facelift. RPing was best when the majority of people participated. I remember having so many RPs going at once, with a variety of different people. Then less and less users were coming on frequently, and the RP population dwiddled down to just a few. In order to direct more traffic to RPing, I really do think some things need to change. Remember how we used to have "Advanced" RPs? This seperated the advanced RPers and the average ones. Now it seems it's Advanced, or nothing. THAT is the issue. I believe the rules should stay, just be slightly trimmed?

Last edited by TheHayleyDoll : 04-22-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-23-2012, 07:12 AM

I also remember the problem with having a free for all as far as RPing went was that people were constantly complaining to me that their RPs were getting shoved down to the third page. I eventually had to put a ban on new RPs cuz of that. So I'd prefer not to go back to those days, thanks very much.

Having a recognisable plot for an RP isn't difficult and can be achieved by anyone if they have a mind to it. I don't want to go back to the days when all people wrote as a plot was "This is a school with powers. Just list your crush, power and post a gigantic screen stretching generic anime photo before you start!" I think we can come up with a happy medium.

Hayley; if you could facelift the Newbies RP, then go right ahead. ^^ You can PM it to me, and I'll post it. I also had an idea of reviving the Tutoring RP, but instead of it being a tutoring one, have it as an average one that people can just use as a practicing one. Of course, I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure people aren't spamming in it or anything.