Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-17-2011, 08:16 AM

The sad thing is that in the hands of a talented author, a crossover can work; it's just that a lot of fanbrats just force two worlds together and don't bother to either do the research, or work on their writing.

Mary Sues are the absolute worst tho; I just read a sporking on a Harry Potter Sue who is completely vile. -.-

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-17-2011, 06:58 PM

Ugh, was she one of the...Her hair is long, reaching just past her hips and is honey colored. Her eyes are very big and her skin is very tanned. However she sees her beauty as a curse because everyone teases her mercilessly. She excels in many classes and the teachers love her. Her only three friends at school are Harry, Hermione and Ron. She possesses special powers unlike anyone else's which are very powerful and could be disastrous if they fall into the wrong hands

Or one of the...

She has thick black hair and very pale skin which make her beautiful green eyes stand out even more. She is very smart and could do well in all classes if she wanted to however she doesn't try hard because she doesn't care. She stands up for her friends to everyone and is going out with Draco which makes all the other girls jealous of her, especially Hermione and Ginny. She is one of the most popular kids even though she doesn't try to be and she's very powerful although she is caught between the sides of good and evil.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Worse; she's a boastful vampire B*tchiwitch type who is totally obnoxious to everyone, yet is inexplicably liked. I left a review on the fic, tho I expect it'll either be ignored or replied to with "shut upz haterz!1!eleventy!" like a lot of fanbrats do. XD

(#24 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-17-2011, 07:11 PM

I've only ever got one message like at back, possibly because this fan brats can't read their reviews because of the amount of constructive criticism they get. It was very tempting to reply 'the day your writing is rendered readable my lips shall close' to her message which went along those lines.

I don't mind a Mary Sue if the author is a genuinely trying and is happy to accept tips and help but when all you get is bad manners for offering help then I get annoyed.

(#25 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Same here. Once I and a few other people were giving CC to this girl on Fanfiction.net and she was just flaming back, and eventually she had a total meltdown and deleted her account. -.- The sad fact was that her writing was actually quite good; if she'd listened to the advice and redone her character, the story could have worked.

(#26 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 04-18-2011, 08:30 AM

AMG. I just found this Harry Potter fic. I'm not even sure if it's a badfic or a lolfic or a roflfic or something yet, but Finnigan got cursed in the seventh paragraph, so. XD I considered giving this a thread of its own, but I decided it would be better to post it here, given the subject.

Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness Chapter 1: The DA Reborn, a Harry Potter fanfic - FanFiction.Net

"Any witch or wizard who marries a Muggle is taking a terrible risk. The children born from such unnatural unions -" Alecto Carrow motioned with her wand towards the blackboard, the points appearing there in her heavy, scrawling handwriting as she named them off. I never saw this in book seven "Can expect deformity, retardation, severe anti-social tendencies, and often a complete lack of magical ability. In addition, as Muggle females are ill-bred to handle magical children, serious complications can result in such pregnancies, leading in some cases to the death of the female. Is that what happened to your mom? Likewise, an attempt by a witch to carry the child of a Muggle male – yes, Mr. Finnigan?" Oh, here it goes.

Seamus stood, his face a study in scholarly innocence as he lowered his hand. "Please, ma'am, those anti-social tendencies, they'd be the reason You-Know-Who's so delusional, then?" Go on Seamus!

Neville felt as though his stomach had abruptly dropped into his feet. Had Finnigan lost his mind? No, he's just Irish He wished it weren't too late to catch his friend's eye, to warn him off of saying something so crazily inflammatory, but the damage had been done. **** right it has, the Irishman has spoken The words on the blackboard dissolved in smoke as Carrow's face slowly turned a deep scarlet. Watch your blood pressure, there.

"The Dark Lord carries the blood of the great Slytherin himself through generations of powerful wizarding families such as the Gaunts and the Peverells," she hissed between clenched teeth. "More than powerful enough to counteract the pitiful influence of any Muggle... if you choose to believe disgusting rumors spread by petty, small-minded, Mudblood-loving fools. He's Irish, he doesn't need rumors to form an opinion But you are certainly proof that no ordinary slum-dragging witch can marry filth without consequence!"

To Neville's surprise, Seamus seemed to take the attack on his mother in stride, Implying somebody is about to be socked in the head with a hurley nodding as if her answer had been perfectly reasonable. "Then if we're to be takin' the example of the Gaunts and keepin' it all in kin, can I ask when you and Amycus'll be expecting?" Oh wait, he just owned her. Go on Finnigan!

A collective gasp sounded through the classroom, and Neville slipped his hand into his pocket, closing his fingers unobtrusively around the handle of his wand. Seamus had brought whatever punishment was coming on himself, without a doubt, but if it was going to be too much, Neville was prepared to fight to save his fellow Gryffindor's life. The look on their new teacher's face certainly suggested it might come to that. Forget about her, she's not Irish.

Seamus, however, simply stood silently, facing her with the same look of serene curiosity Oh you clown, Finnigan on his face until the moment her wand snapped towards him. " CRUCIO !" she shrieked, and the curse hit Seamus with such force that he flew backward over his chair, crashing into the desk behind him. Poor him. Or perhaps, I should say POOR DESK Lavender Brown jumped to her feet and screamed as he slid down to the floor, his body thrashing and writhing against her legs Lucky bugger as the agony of the curse swept through him.

At the head of the class, Carrow watched, her teeth bared in feral glee at Seamus' pain. You'll pay for that eventually, harpy Neville's hand grew so tight on the wand that his fingernails cut into the flesh of his palm, but he made no move, forcefully reminding himself that it was only the second day, too early to do anything rash or foolish. Forget second day, blow the place up and be home in time for supper, **** you If he made any move towards Seamus, he would join him instantly on the floor, helpless under the wracking pain of the curse he remembered all too well from the night he had faced the Death Eaters at the Ministry of Magic.

After what seemed like years, a hand appeared on the surface of Lavender's desk, and Seamus slowly pulled himself upright. He was trembling, his chin scarlet and his shirt stained with blood where he had bitten almost completely through his lower lip, Refer to: Badass but incredibly, he was smiling. "Touch a nerve, there?" OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Slowly, Carrow stalked across the classroom, her squat, round-shouldered form moving with bullish intensity towards the taller student. Queen Méabh, anyone? Reaching him, she stared nastily up into his face, putting the tip of her stubby wand I C WUT U DID THAR directly under his chin and forcing him to look upwards. "I take no disrespect from half-breed Irish dung, Ní dóigh liom go raibh boladh fiú aoileach chomh dona is tú, slaig Finnigan." Lowering her wand, she unleashed a thick gob of spittle that hit Seamus directly in the face, then, with a quick, harsh motion, snapped the wand up again.

Before she could utter the curse, however, Seamus's own wand was in his hand, dropped out of his sleeve in a motion that seemed almost magic in itself. " Ionsaigh !" DID HE JUST DO MAGIC IN IRISH? For the record, the word he said means attacked in Irish he shouted.

Carrow doubled over as if punched, beady eyes bulging in pain, and Neville gasped in shock. Silently, he urged Seamus to run, to flee, to Stupify her and get away before she could retaliate. Or just kill her on the spot for insulting the Irish, whichever floats your boat But it was too late. Already, Carrow had recovered enough to jab her wand towards the young Gryffindor, and all Neville could do was wrap his arms around Parvati, who was sitting next to him, and hide her face in his robes so that she didn't have to watch. Because women are too soft to watch this shiz, yo.

OOO Oooooh?

I'mma stop sporking here, cuz the shiz is too long anyway, and I'm utterly derailing the thread.

Allow me to add another thing to my list of fanfiction pet peeves; when the Irish guy gets *****ed over like this. Because obviously, the Irish are too impulsive and reckless NOT to start a war with their freak fascist teacher on the second day of school. Hurp.

Or maybe I should just simplify that to BLATENT STEREOTYPING OF THE IRISH, but anyway.

Now, on the subject of the above, I hate it when people flip sh*t and ragequit when you try to give them some healthy advice. On the RP server I play on, we suffer from a huge inflood of incredibly *****lish, wannabe-bad@ss characters who end up bringing down every RP they enter by turning it into a "my powah is bigga dan juur powah" measuring contest. =/ When anybody tries to suggest that they should tone down their IC attitude, they completely lose it. X_X

As above, the sad bit is that they have potential, if they'd only listen to reason and cop on that they don't have to be the center of everything or the big awesome.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM

What's really sad is that a lot of Suethors don't seem to understand that it is possible to have a character with a tragic backstory, or with powers; you just have to balance the character's strengths with weaknesses. They just pile in the advantages and the character is one sided.

(#28 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 04-19-2011, 12:10 PM

The same problem exists on my server. People just have POWER POWER POWER and no limits or weaknesses. Every Necromancer seems to able to raise the dead in limitless numbers, without the need for an extra energy source to use to power their spells, or even much effort or rituals. Meanwhile, every sh*tty Paladin seems to have unmatched control over the holy light and be able to do omgamazing things with it without difficulty, regardless of their actual IC faith or... anything.

I've found a good way to arrange the tragedy thing is, they had a wonderful, perfect, spoiled past, but they suddenly find themselves thrust into suffering and tragedy. This produces and interesting spoiled brat who may or may not be a better person for their trials at the end, depending on how character development goes. The other end of the scale is that they might dive to the depths of depravity to regain their losses.

Something I hate in fanfics about Warcraft is lore r@pe. This is, in WoW RPer terminology, when somebody names themselves after a lore character (See lleegoolaszzs Windrunner) or drastically altars aspects of the WC lore. For example, if somebody wrote a WC fanfic about King Arthas and King Varian's half-vampire travelling ranger son by immaculate conception, it would be considered extremely bad lore r@pe. This differs from custom lore, because custom lore is building upon the existing WC lore without changing it (too) drastically, or changing it in a very bad manner.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Sounds like a Qanonreip to me; that's the term for a Mary Sue/Gary Stu that is supposed to be canon, but is warped.

pottersues: Amazing, really, how Writer's Block appl

Oh, they may be very pretty
But don't judge by what you see
I'll eat myself if there are
More annoying Sues than these!

You can keep your raven locks
Your bodies sleek and tall
For you girls are the Mary-Sues
The worst OCs of all

There's nothing hidden in your heads
No personality
So don the Suewarts Sorting Hat
To find out where you'll be

You might belong in Sparklypoo
Where dwell the pure at heart
Their perfect looks and perkiness
Set Sparklypoos apart

You might belong in B*tchiwitch
With losers and with freaks
Those poor and angsty little things
Are goths and brains and geeks

Or yet in skanky Tootsitramp
You'll spend your nights and days
If you like to show off cleavage
And are wanton in your ways

Or perhaps in Qanonreip
You'll make your real friends
Those authors will Sue anyone
To make their stories' ends

So cower low and close your eyes
Be very, very scared
It's time to sort the Mary-Sues
So get your sporks prepared!

(#30 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM

When I first read all of this I was really angry and wanted to just spam

" Don't like Don't read "

Along with a bunch of obscenity but : D Gladly I didn't LOL

Because I do understand why everyone feels the way they do, haha. I just went looking for AU Seph x Cloud / Roy x Ed / HPLV

And fml

Lord Voldemort does not BLUSH when he sees Harry and he does not FAWN over Potter's face nor does he GINGERLY, SLOWLY, SOFTLY FONDLE HARRY'S CHEEK, muttering "My precious" (WTF, LOTR? LOL), and he doesn't warn Harry, "I can't control myself anymore, please don't touch me, I don't want to hurt you"

fml