Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Keeping Chimpanzees As Pets. - 09-13-2010, 09:52 PM

There was a story on the news recently about a woman who was attacked by her friend's pet chimp... who ended up tearing her face and hands off. O_o Chimps should never be kept as pets; they are wild animals.

Chimpanzees can never be trained fully to hold no risk whatsoever of hurting their owners. Especially since people who have them as pets very rarely see them as being wild animals; more like hairy people. Other primates are kept as pets, but chimps are more dangerous than, say, macque monkeys, cuz of their immense strength. They are far stronger than humans, and are never fully tame, no matter what their owners may think; there is always that risk that they may turn on them. Males are particularly aggressive.

http://www.allbusiness.com/science-t...1971361-1.html

Dogs and cats have been domesticated for thousands of years so the risk of horrendous injury from them is very small if the animals are trained correctly. However, all the training in the world can't take away the chance that your pet chimp Billy could one day take offence to your habit of patting his head and rip your hand off, before pelting you with faeces and ripping your eyes out of your skull.

Also, chimps and other primates who are destined to become pets are taken from their mothers at a very early age. You can only imagine the trauma that they go thru. Also, while baby chimps may be cute and cuddly, adult chimps are not. An adult male chimp is ten times stronger than a human, and very capable of throwing massive tantrums which could see you heading into an early grave... in pieces.

Hell, even trained professionals who keep them have to put in place all kinds of security measures to ensure that their charges do not escape and wreak havoc. The fact is, a chimpanzee is a wild animal. No amount of putting them in clothes, feeding them cake or letting them sleep in your bed can change that fact.

Why would a chimpanzee attack a human?: Scientific American

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Keeping wild animals as pets is generally not such a hot idea, and that goes double for animals which are bigger and stronger than you. You'd think it'd be common sense not to keep something in your house that could kill you, and might do so at the drop of a hat.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 09-15-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanorea View Post
Keeping wild animals as pets is generally not such a hot idea, and that goes double for animals which are bigger and stronger than you. You'd think it'd be common sense not to keep something in your house that could kill you, and might do so at the drop of a hat.

Enough said.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM

The really stupid thing is that a lot of these people who make pets out of chimpanzees would throw up their hands in horror at the thought of someone having a pet tiger or crocodile. They just about have grasped the fact that those animals are dangerous wild animals, but not their precious pet chimp.

Ironically, a gorilla would be less dangerous than a chimp, despite the fact that the gorilla is demonised in TV and movies as being a monster and chimps are generally shown to be cute and cuddly.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM

...and don't people realize it's not only dangerous to them but cruel to the animal, these animals are used to the wild, hence they are more dangerous. A person is just another animal in a strange habitat, why would the chimp hesitate to hurt it's apparently well-loved owner >.<

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-15-2010, 05:32 PM

In the wild, chimps are scared of humans; that's why there aren't so many attacks on humans by chimps in the wild state. Remove that fear by making a pet of the creature and what you have is a wild animal with the strength to snap your spine in half and crush your skull with no fear of humans at all. It's not a happy place.

Also, as I said before, these chimps are taken from their mothers at an early age. How would these people like it if their babies were stolen from them to be sold into slavery?

(#7 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-15-2010, 11:13 PM

My parents have the same problem with people keeping snakes as pets. Same with the Killer Whale....

;__; I think that everyone should think about what they are getting into before they do it...

Otherwise I am actually not minding what they get. :\ If they wanna keep a tiger as a pet and risk your life daily,

Not my problem. Go ahead. Just don't complain when your arm gets rippedoff or something...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Oh, but it is your problem... or will be, when the tiger escapes and rips YOUR face off, when it gets into YOUR back yard.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 09-16-2010, 10:02 AM

If a tiger got into my back yard, I'd use it for bowshooting practice. I probably sound twisted, but it would be better than a wild animal wreaking havoc and slaying all those it came into contact with. Particularly if the persons it came into contact with were my family/friends/pets.

The thought of my dog being trapped in the back yard and some extremely dangerous animal someone else had been keeping nearby escaping and getting at him does not bear thinking about. Some animals should not be kept as pets. The risks are too high. It's as simple as that.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM

I doubt that shooting at a tiger with a pea shooter would do much; those creatures have been known to charge and kill hunters who've been blasting at them with top class guns.

In any case, they shouldn't be kept as pets and neither should chimps. The fact that chimps are so close to humans, DNA wise, should be a good reason not to keep them as pets.

Quote:
But even as investigators try to figure out exactly what triggered Travis's attack (he had been suffering from Lyme disease, which in rare cases is linked to psychotic behavior), the reality is that a chimpanzee living among people is simply a ticking time bomb. No matter how many years it has lived peacefully as a pet, a chimpanzee is not a domesticated animal and can snap without warning. "They are wild animals, and all wild animals are potentially dangerous," says Colleen McCann, a primatologist with the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and New York's Bronx Zoo.
"They are not pets. This is tragic, but it's not surprising."

But adult chimpanzees might be better described as superhuman — a 200-lb. chimpanzee is five to seven times stronger than a person of the same size, especially in the upper body. "They are incredibly powerful, and people underestimate that," says McCann. "An adult male chimpanzee is a formidable animal. I would not want to be standing next to one."

Nor are wild chimpanzees the docile, childlike creatures portrayed on TV. Highly territorial, chimpanzees will attack and kill other chimps. Though mostly vegetarian, they will also hunt and kill other animals for food; young male chimpanzees in Africa have been known to fashion crude weapons and use them to hunt bushbabies for meat. Attacks on human beings are rare, but they do happen — and the results are often catastrophic.

Pet chimpanzees are also reservoirs of disease and can pass along infections like yellow fever, monkey pox and the Marburg virus to their human keepers.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...#ixzz0zj2adBgo