Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   How young is too young to go to the mall by yourself? (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/general-discussion/21897-how-young-too-young-go-mall-yourself.html)

Miranda_ 12-14-2009 12:17 PM

How young is too young to go to the mall by yourself?

Should 11-year-olds go to the mall unaccompanied?

I read this blog, and was a bit shocked. I mean, eleven years old is far too young in my opinion to go to the mall alone. A group of fifteen year olds would be alright, but eleven is too young. I don't think there's a huge risk of being snatched, but there is a risk of them being set upon by bullies, or of getting into trouble. What do you think?

By the way, I went to the local mall by myself at age fourteen, but I was a mature fourteen and my parents taught me from a young age to behave myself in public. They wouldn't have allowed me at eleven tho.

Andjelija 12-14-2009 12:41 PM

Wow, 0.o, I mean, i'm eleven, and my mom doesn't lets me to go to the mall, but i want to, i mean, she says: what if i break something accidently, or somebody tries to kidnap me... 0.o

prin367cess 12-14-2009 01:45 PM

When i was 11, my mom would NEVER have let me go ANYWHERE alone, let alone the mall. Sure, that was almost 15 years ago, it was a different time back then, but if anything, it's worse now! There's so potential for trouble, whether it's shoplifting, being a public nuisance, or kidnapping.

Most of the malls in my area actually have the new curfew rules - any person under the age of 18 must have adult supervision in the mall after 7 pm. And they are strict, too, actually kicking kids out of the mall, making them call home for a ride or getting cops to drive them home. But even then, the kids have a parent walk them in, and then the parent leaves, so the kids are running wild.

Elanorea 12-14-2009 03:22 PM

Hmm... I'm not seeing much of a reason for 11-year-olds to go to the mall alone. I never wanted to go before I was in my late teens because I didn't get much pocket money, if I wanted to buy something I'd just go with my parents and get them to buy it for me.

Silent_Wolf 12-14-2009 03:30 PM

Dude, at 11 I was LUCKY to go to the mall at all because my mom hates the local town the mall's at. -__-

But that is REALLY too young to go. I'd say 13, but with a responsible OLDER TEEN. And by responsible I mean somebody who isn't the same age, isn't a crazy partier, yadda.

Just... god.

Heva_Banana_Mad 12-14-2009 04:01 PM

I went to the mall ONCE on my own with 2 friends coz it was my friend's birthday treat.
My mum was worried so she went to work on a Saturday. Her work building was really really near the mall. Literally just down the road.
Anyway we went and we took the bus home but I met her at the bus stop so she could see that I was alright.

However, one of my friends was insisting that she shouldn't be so fussy but I think my mum's decisions were perfectly reasonable and I probably would've done the same for my child.

That is the one and only time that I have been to the mall by myself. Plus the friend who didn't have a birthday that day and I are very mature for our age. I wish I could say the same for the other girl whos birthday it was.XD

BUT we survived. XD

In a way I do agree with what you are saying but this isn't going to be a thing that I will always do because I agree with what you have said and was in a way nervous/excited about going on my own.

airspritegal 12-16-2009 02:41 PM

I think 11 isn't too youyng just very iffy on being ok. If they are with an older sister or borther ect yea it's fine but alone? um...no i wouldn't let my baby sistert go if she was only 11 it's waaaaay to young.

Miranda_ 12-16-2009 03:57 PM

Exactly; if they're accompanied by an adult or responsible older sibling, then that's something else. Alone? No chance.

Catlover642 12-16-2009 04:11 PM

No cuz guess what, going alone only leads for chances to get lost, to be snatched and to get into trouble. Besides, I personally think its funner to go with someone else because it gives you someone to talk to.

antimaie 12-16-2009 09:10 PM

I'm 15, and I don't think I've ever been at the mall by myself before. o__o

I always go with either my friends, or when one of my pareantlas takes me shopping.

Other than the wandering away from my parents at stores, or walking from one side of the mall to the other by myself, I still haven't.

The first time I ent to the mall with my friends and no parental supervison/people older than me was a couple days before I turned 12 to go with my freind to the premire of her movie.