Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 11-25-2009, 07:13 AM

Amen on the grounding.

I was spanked, smacked across the mouth, and I turned out better for it. I was never really mouthy until I was eight (and believe me, I was god awful. XD) but I quickly stopped.

Word of note: My dad never disciplined me except for maybe two or three occasions; usually it was my mother who did it. For some reason, quite a few people think that if a girl is hit by her father as a child (even if she was being a horrible brat) she'll begin to associate "abuse" with love.

To be honest? I sure as hell don't.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM

My father never spanked me; he just scared the crap out of me if he was mad... he's very loud. x.x

My mom did the hits, and it was no more than a swat on the behind.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-25-2009, 02:58 PM

My dad occasionally handed out smacks, but it was mostly my mum who did the smacking. But my dad always backed up my mum; we knew it was no good going to him to complain about Mum. XD

Time out wouldn't have worked on me at all; I'd just go into a world of my own and it wouldn't be a punishment at all. Grounding wouldn't have worked; I'd have just climbed out the window. XD My room was above the garage, and I could just drop out the window on to the flat garage roof and drop from there on to the dustbin.

When I was a teen, the punishments were usually stuff like extra chores, losing TV privileges or stuff like that.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 11-25-2009, 03:02 PM

I'm still a teen... well, punushments are rare as I avoid making trouble, but it usually involves no chocolate/sweets of any kind. T^T TORTUUUURE!

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Moon_Crescent (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM

When I got sent to my room, I just go and goof off on my computer. What my parents DON'T know is that I fixed it. But I have a experienxce to uh, share.

So I was getting picxked up by my mom in 4th grade in the car. So my sister's being horrible like usual. (Side note: She and my mom had a thing that a spank was a "love pat" on the butt) So I get it and she screams cuz she wanted something and it didn't happen. So my mom says; "If you don't be quiet I'm gonna spank you!" So she turns around and shows mom her butt. So mom spanks her and her face cripples up and she's like "You-you hurt me!" Cracked me, my brother, my mom, and my nana who was in the car up/

My DeviantArt

MoonCrescent
(#16 (permalink))
Old
sarika2004 (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Send a message via MSN to sarika2004
Default 12-05-2009, 07:28 PM

I was physically disciplined. It was awful. I was terrifed as a child, had alot of anxiety issues. Plus my brothers often got it worse then me and hearing them scream and cry has left permanent memories in my mind. It makes me feel weird and sends terror through my body.

I would never physically discipline my child just from my experience. I'd use positive enforcement. When my child would do something the right way I'd reward them, if they were to do something wrong I would ignore them and give no response. However, I don't ever plan on having a child at this point so I don't really have to worry about it that much.

Your sarcastic, spazzy, and smexy lover!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM

That would not work on me in the slightest. I wouldn't have cared a darn if my parents ignored me; I liked being by myself and all alone anyway. I agree with a swat on the butt if a child is either a) stretching things to their limit, ie being warned and warned and ignoring everything or b) doing or having done something terribly dangerous, such as running out into the road or playing with matches. Anything more, like hitting with an object, is verging on the abusive; especially if a parent is striking out in anger. Smacking should not be administered by an angry parent, not ever.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM

The ignoring thing wouldn't work for me either, because I often liked being alone. I still do. Actually, in Kindergarten, I used to practice writing and stuff by myself instead of playing in the sandbox with the other kids. XD Nowadays, I still like writing by myself, and being alone in my room. Besides, I'm usually the one giving my PARENTS the silent treatment. I ignore them as a "punishment", so the other way around I'd just be like, "Whatever, I don't want to talk to you anyway."

Remember the difference between DISCIPLINE and ABUSE. Abuse, in any form, is wrong. For example, a child breaks a $100 vase.

DISCIPLINE: The parent might be upset, but they don't let that take control of them. They calmly tell the child that what they did was wrong, and to be more careful. They make sure the kid then knows that he's going to get a spanking. Afterward, they tell the kid not to do it again, and the kid walks off.

ABUSE: The parent FLIPS OUT, grabs an object (like a wooden spoon, belt, etc.) or uses UNREASONABLE FORCE to HARM the child. They'd probably yell at them, and call them "bad" and THREATEN them with the idea that it will happen again. (There's a difference between threatening someone, and informing them or the rules).

I certainly would start off with physically disciplining my child, but if nothing else works, you have to make sure they're disciplined somehow. A lot of children now are growing up to be brats, because they're parents don't want to hit them, and it just doesn't work.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 12-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Heck, if it really pushes you into a depression then you are really weak or they went too far. =__=''
Not all kids are "weak" if they go into depression about child abuse; some children are more vulnerable than others.

I believe in physcial discipline, as long as its within reason and is NEVER done in anger. A good swat or two on the bum isn't "abuse"; its physical discipline. I think it should be reasonable, as in accidentally leaving shoes out in the open in my eyes dosen't deserve a spanking, but a mere scolding.

I think going to your room and groundings are more effective, but I think its because I have a bit of a attachment to my computer, Ipod, T.V., etc. But physical discipline isn't mean, the child will most likely become more behaved and polite.

Though I think that it all depends on the child, age, maturity, and how the parent reacts. It varies a lot throughout parents.