Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

View Poll Results: Tabloid or broadsheet?
Broadsheet 0 0%
Tabloid 4 66.67%
The news. XD 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM

How can it be sexist when the girl CHOOSES to have that career, and gets paid a lot of money for it? For your information, true feminism is about choice, not about forcing women to do certain things out of fear of being labeled traitors to their gender. For example, a friend of my mother's has always been a housewife and mother. She used to have a career but gave it up to stay with her kids. I can see some fanatical feminists criticising her for her choice, but they forget that she chose to stay at home, which is what feminism is all about. I personally could have gone into an office, instead, I choose to be a barmaid. I don't give two figs about whether someone thinks that's demeaning to women, cuz it sure as hell isn't. Page 3 girls choose that career, and it can go on to other things for some of them; for example, Melinda Messanger and Katie Price. No-one is forcing you to take that path; so there is no point whatsoever in criticising those who choose it.

OK, now let's get back to the subject at hand, shall we? My boyf reads the Star, which to me just has more pictures than news. XD My parents read the Mail; which is conservative and a bit too "I'm disgusted with..." for me. When I used to get the bus to college, there'd be loads of men reading the Telegraph, which is a broadsheet, opened to its full extent and taking up two seats. -.- I just used to plonk myself down next to them if there were no other seats, plug myself into headphones and open up my copy of the Sun, just to annoy.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorwho_gal View Post
I do find page 3 sexist, regardless of whether the women is earning a load of money or not I believe it objectifies the female form. If they had the same of a man, I don't think it would be sexist because they would both be being objectified and gender wouldn't come into it. But thats another debate XD

I suppose when I mention racism I mean the Daily Mail. Its basically too conservative for my liking. I didn't mean to say I thought all tabloids were racist, sorry.
How is having a man do the same thing not objectifying him? Men are objectified the same way women are. Have you not seen the shirtless male model photos? The half naked men in those brand name stores? What about the huge demands on men to have certain sized genitals or they won't be satisfying? While I agree with you that it is objectifying women, I don't think you have a clear view of the whole picture since you seem to think it is alright to do the same to men. When men do the same thing, they are putting a set gender role out there that all men are expected to conform to, just like those women. If you don't believe in one, you don't believe in the other, not just selectively choose what is right and wrong. Kindly keep the "women rule, men should be exploited" attitude out of here because we are a community that recognizes both as equals with the same rights, which includes the right to not be objectified(even if you believe they aren't).

Done with my rant, bringing it back to the main topic. I'm a big fan of tabloids xD I'm especially in love with those crazy ones about affairs with aliens and government conspiracies. They are just so fun. Did you know Angelina Jolie adopted Bat Boy? DED SRS! xD

Av & Sig Credit: Me

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 03-24-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM

Nowai!

(Isn't Bat Boy the one who showed the US soldiers where Saddam was? I saw that article on the Enquirer a few years back and it's stuck in my head ever since.)

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#14 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 03:30 PM

The Enquirer is so funny and untrue. It's great. XD

I generally read whatever my mum buys; usually InTouch. I don't really buy a lot of tabloids just for myself, 'cuz I prefer to spend my money elsewhere. I usually just go on TMZ.com and PerezHilton. xD
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM

The Enquirer is like the Onion, right? As in, posts made up stories in a totally serious manner? XD Our tabloids are nothing like that; if they post fake stories, they have to print a retraction to let people know they got their facts wrong.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 03:51 PM

Yeah, kinda like that. xD I swear I remember seeing one with alien space kitties. O_o Another headline I remember seeing was "Dr. Phil's Battle With Alcohol! - beating his wife, family in tears..." and so on. That was funny, too. Dr. Phil? A wife beater and an alcoholic? Come on. Honestly. XD I think the Enquirer's been getting a bit better lately, but there's still a lot of totally false drug addiction/bankruptcy/sex/alcohol/murder type scandals they print.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm a little wary of their articles on the Caylee Anthony case; the kid's mom is nuts and honestly, if she does have a secret diary about the murder it wouldn't surprise me. I just want to strangle the... female dog. I was gonna say something else.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#18 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM

And so the proverbial hits the fan. ;-D
-This was an EPIC SPAM post bye Aaron-

Tabloids is the epic alright. I'd like to see a tabloid story on the Cowen nude paintings fiasco. =D

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant

Last edited by AaronShadows : 03-24-2009 at 04:04 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHayleyDoll View Post
Yeah, kinda like that. xD I swear I remember seeing one with alien space kitties. O_o Another headline I remember seeing was "Dr. Phil's Battle With Alcohol! - beating his wife, family in tears..." and so on. That was funny, too. Dr. Phil? A wife beater and an alcoholic? Come on. Honestly. XD I think the Enquirer's been getting a bit better lately, but there's still a lot of totally false drug addiction/bankruptcy/sex/alcohol/murder type scandals they print.
Was that the cats on Mars piece? I remember that being in one of the last Weekly World News covers I saw.

Yeah Miranda, tabloids here are allowed to print tons of nonsense. Its wonderfully amusing, though sometimes the celebrities actually do pursue them legally. It really is illegal in some sense since it is libel, but usually no one cares.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Probably cuz no-one's really going to believe that an actress is pregnant by an alien, or that an actor has a dead alien buried in his garden shed.