Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Doctorwho_gal (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 4.50 Average
Default 'Men's' magazines. - 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM

I hate that when I walk into my local shop the first thing I see are magazines like 'Nuts' and 'Zoo' with half naked women on their covers.
I don't see why women should have to put up with that blatant exploitism like its a part of out mainstream culture, I was just wondering what other people thought of it?

There is a theory which states that if ever
anybody discovers exactly what the Universe
is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something
even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

- Douglas Adams
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM

I don't really care, to be honest. Ever read the female equivilents to men's magazines, like More! magazine, for example? They are full of half naked men, even if they don't show them on the cover. And magazines that are geared towards g@y men often show semi naked men on the cover.

If my boyf buys a copy of Nuts it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I know he's with me, and loves me, not the two dimensional women in his magazines. I'm not about to turn into a shrieking harridan just cuz of a pair of naked brea'sts in a men's mag. In any case, I don't think it's exploitation seeing as the glamour models get paid a fortune for taking their tops off; if anyone's exploited, it's the men who buy the magazine.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Doctorwho_gal (Offline)
Shuni

Default 10-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Given the plight and exploitation of women everywhere I really don't think men's magazines being available for everyone to see in the high street including young children in news agents ect. is really very helpful or in fact, acceptable for women to put up with.
I don't have a problem with men viewing the magazines, but I think they should take some precautions in shops to make sure young children don't see them.

- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Doctorwho_gal : 10-22-2008 at 07:00 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM

They do; at least, where I live. The magazines are on the top shelves, and the ones like Loaded and Nuts never have full nudity on the front cover. Only the hardcore dirty magazines do, and those are never in children's reach or view.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sarah_K_O_M (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 22 Votes / 3.59 Average
Default 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM

I think it doesn't matter that they're getting paid, they're still being made out as nothing but living blow-up dolls, not people. That's the attitude the men get from them, and that's the one they carry out into real life..

Also, I've never seen any magazine of that nature themed for women, ever. But I have seen plenty of ones made for men.

"Without heroes we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go."

-Bernard Malamud
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM

They exist, believe me. More! magazine is one, but there are others. Women's magazines however tend to be geared more towards the written word rather than pictures. In any case, the models choose to be seen as blow up dolls, so it's hardly worth acting as tho they are being exploited. The glamour models themselves would probably scoff at such a suggestion.

Any man who takes that into real life is obviously incredibly immature and will soon learn that his attitude is not acceptable. In any case, the OP was talking about magazines like Nuts, not hard core p*rn magazines where her suggestion of exploitation would actually make sense.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Doctorwho_gal (Offline)
Shuni

Default 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_K_O_M View Post
I think it doesn't matter that they're getting paid, they're still being made out as nothing but living blow-up dolls, not people. That's the attitude the men get from them, and that's the one they carry out into real life..

Also, I've never seen any magazine of that nature themed for women, ever. But I have seen plenty of ones made for men.
I agree.
I was sickened the other day, when walking into a WH Smiths in a service station I saw their magazine 'pick of the day' was Nuts, literally the first thing you see when you walk in the shops is two women fondling each other with the title ' 'name of celeb I can't remember' finally gets them out', as if its her duty as a women.

- Douglas Adams
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 10-23-2008, 07:02 AM

Sorry to bang on about this, but must you keep bring your feministic opinions everywhere on here? First in Entertainment, now here in GD. I'm getting tired of it. First off, these women choose to have this as a career. Second, just because you dislike it doesn't mean everyone else does. Personally I don't care because it is THEIR life, not mine and they can do what they want.

I'm getting sick and tired of this, I really am. -__- Not to bring up a dead subject, but I find it incredibly hilarious that you can call the Bella/Edward pairing a totally healthy relationship when he stalks her, threatens her, is super jealous of every man she comes in contact with, and then you go around and bash Katy Perry for having a g*y themed song and Jordan for flashing her bits. You want to know why they do this? Because they can.

Seriously, get a grip, please. It's basically 'waah waaahhh women are being exploited because they flash their bits off in a magazine and they get paid for teh photoez' from all the feminists out there and it's frankly ticking me off. Heck, my dad even gets one magazine that has half naked women in it, but it is a CAR THEMED magazine and believe it or not, my dad really has no interest in the nekkid pics because in truth, the women are clothed. Barely, yes, but it still counts.

Men and their cars for the win. ... That's a joke. >_>;

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm

Last edited by Silent_Wolf : 10-25-2008 at 08:25 AM.