Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sarah_K_O_M (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 22 Votes / 3.59 Average
Default Forum Manners for Internet Spanners - 04-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Anyway, this isn't a Netiquette topic, but one on manners, which is different. I think.
Okay then!

Here's some things you should remember when joining a new forum community.

1: Lurking is good. Have a poke about, read some threads before you post.
Get familiar with the general layout and what goes where. It'll help you in the long run, promise.

2: Mods don't have to sit there and take abuse. Loads of people seem to think this, and it's whacked. We are not punching bags, folks, albeit the kind that punches back.

3: You're not the Queen Bee, or the Daddy Longlegs. You are not all powerful, and you're not that important.
So if you leave the forum after a huge hissyfit, we won't give a flying flip. Forums are like beehives, if one bee dies it doesn't make a difference to the beehive.
Plus, bees only kill themselves when they sting.

4: We! Are! Your! Friends! But only if we know you first. So before you click that Add Friend link on some random person's profile, remember this very important thing:
Would you be friends with some loon that walks up to you in the street and yells "HEY, WANNA BE BESTEST FRIENDS FOREVER?!!!!1!11?????"
Exactly.

5: Patience is a virtue. Forums are slow by nature, the opposite of IM's. So sit back, relax, get 7Up and a sandwich, play a flash game. Then check your messages.

6: Respect for authority is actually an okay thing.
People have actually sent PM's to MODS saying stuff like 'You stop punishing me for spamming/friend me right now or I won't stop posting stupid threads!'
In those cases, the Temp Ban Frying Pan is applied swiftly and painfully.

7: If you ask for help, don't complain about the advice.

8: Keep your personal info personal. There's nasty folks on the Internet, and some of them come here. You tell your personal info to all and sundry, you may as well go into a loonybin for the Criminally Insane butt naked. And that's how Freddy Krueger came to be. Well, sort of.
And don't tell other people's either. You'll get banned so fast you'll be knocked into the middle of next week next year.

9: At least try to to be funny, or at leats interesting. It won't kill you, honest.

10: ALL CAPS IS SERIOUSLY ANNOYING, OKAY? AS SI USNG CHATSP3AK AND EXC3SIEV PUNCTUATION!!1!! WTF WONT SOM3ONE THINK OF DA PUNCTUATION????!! OMG

11: Post count doesn't equal popularity, and it won't get you Modship. Only competence can do that. Though that does raise the question of why I was picked...

And that's all I have for now.

"Without heroes we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go."

-Bernard Malamud

Last edited by Sarah_K_O_M : 04-12-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added Miranda's suggestion, in my own words.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 04-12-2008, 11:49 AM

*Lurks around*

I commend you on this Sarah.

Do people honestly go up to a mod and say: "You freind me or I'll go spamming!' Those should be slammed.

Bye the way, theres something that may fit here, just maybe, Wall'O'text's.

Did you know forums are regularly closed for stealing sections of the wall of china? It's when people do this:

Insert random example text here, Blahblahblahblahblahblah, Random, random,
Ect. Bleee random example text here, random example text here, insert noobish cripe as they are regularly responsible for walls made of text, so on, so on.Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness, Oh god
I'm getting bored.
Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness,
Oh god I'm getting bored.Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness, Oh god I'm getting bored.Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness,
Oh god I'm getting bored.
Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness,
Oh god I'm getting bored.Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness, Oh god I'm getting bored.Insert total random-ness here,
more random-ness, Oh god I'm getting bored.
Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness, Oh god I'm getting bored.
Insert total random-ness here, more random-ness, Oh god I'm getting bored.

Get the point?

Eccept usualy it's like a box, Here I've added too much grammer. -.-

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sarah_K_O_M (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 22 Votes / 3.59 Average
Default 04-12-2008, 11:59 AM

They do, honest. It's weird.

And that's usually referred to as 'Quote Pyramid' as far as I know. They're nto that common here though.

"Without heroes we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go."

-Bernard Malamud
(#4 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 04-12-2008, 12:07 PM

The must be very fearless to say that to a Mod. -.- Ever see that show where they said fearlessness is a sign of insanity? XD

Thank god, imagine how cheap the forum would look if we had such blocky posts. >.<

Heavens I'm using a lot of smily's.

I wrote this big thingy, and called it 'Thedollpalace code of conduct' It's all messy though, so I'll clean it up and show it too you.

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-12-2008, 12:08 PM

It's not so much fearlessness as it is stupidity and lack of understanding of forum rules.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 04-12-2008, 12:12 PM

I know that Miranda, But the point was a chanse to point out the nOOb's insanity, because we all want to do that. XD

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 04-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Sorry if this makes me sound stupid, but what's stealing the wall of china? O_o

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#8 (permalink))
Old
delly1 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 19 Votes / 4.53 Average
Send a message via MSN to delly1
Default 04-12-2008, 01:23 PM

my opinion:
I know new members may cause these problems but so do old members as well. I don't think its very nice to totally breath down the backs of our new members because we were all their once and yes their are members who don't know how to read or have good communication skills towards others and or superiors but we can't just blame it entirely on one group.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-12-2008, 01:54 PM

We're not talking about newbies, Delly, but about NOOBS. As I and other people have explained thousands of times, there's a big difference.

And believe me, it's new people who commit a lot of these crimes; people aren't just new to this forum, but to ALL internet forums.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 04-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Wolfie: Stealing the wall of china, means that you make a Wall of text, Like a box, and it's a sarcastic joke, asin, you put 'China called, they want their wall back' In your reply.