Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Chinese Footbinding - 03-05-2008, 07:35 PM

OK first of all, if you are squeamish in any way; do NOT click the picture links. I can't stress this enough. I am not squeamish at all, and even I felt my feet twitch looking at the photos. Also, some of the descriptions are a bit graphic, ie going into detail. So if this applies to you, then back out of the topic NOW.

Anyways, I did a project on footbinding in History once for A-level; I chose it cuz it tied in well with the subject of women's rights which we were studying at the time as well as being a good example of how women are put thru pain and torment just to please men. I recently looked at links online and was once again horrified by the photos and descriptions of the act; at one time in China, a girl with normal feet rather than bound "lotus hooks" would be shunned by all and find it impossible to get married. Mothers would bind their daughters' feet out of love due to this; this happened as early as seven years old and walking on such deformed feet would be difficult.

Here are some picture and article links; remember my warning before you click.

Footbinding - Google Image Search

Chinese Foot Binding

Foot binding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CHINESE FOOT BINDING

So, next time you moan at your parents for being unfair to you, remember... it could be worse. O_o

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!