Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM

It's a more extreme version of the torture of the first corsetts. MUCH more extreme. It's sickening hw women put themselves through torture to fit the idea of a man's fantasy.

And it's not over; all pointy shoes, extremely high heels and such also destroy feet, though not nearly that bad. If you like those kind of shoes (high heels, pointy-toes shoes, etc.), I'd do a double-take; they make like way hard when your old, as the effetcs on your toes and arch will finally catch up with you. Also, slippers ar bad, too; not enough arch support.

I think we women ought to choose our styles carefully. O_o

Perhaps if we women change the styles ourselves, men will change their views and we won't have to literally break ourselves to bits trying to please them.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-06-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronShadows View Post
That is so tragic! Bloody chinese dads, they have no regard for you as a person.
It wasn't actually the fathers, but the mothers; and they did it out of kindness so their daughters wouldn't be mocked as having "man feet" instead of gold (3 inch) or silver (4 inch) lotus feet. And also the potential husbands for refusing to marry unbound women.

I also agree with Spirit Queen about the shoes; I tend to lean more towards platform boots and boots with chunky heels, but I don't wear those all the time and spend a lot of time barefoot indoors. Any woman who lives in her stillettos will get foot problems like bunions in later life.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Rose36 (Offline)
Addict

Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM

What makes you all think that men came up with these fashions for women? These fashions mainly developed because they showed how women did not need to labor or work hard in the fields, thus making it class-based as well as attractiveness-based. One could not easily work in the fields with bound feet, restricted waists, or wide skirts. Pale skin was fashionable for centuries before the 20th one because it meant that you did not work outside in the sun all day and thus got tan. In fact, during the Romantic period (about 1820-1850), it was fashionable to appear sickly and faint all the time in fact because it supposedly meant you suffered from inner turmoil and allowed your emotions to rule you. Rice powder and white lead were applied to the skin to create a pale almost ghostly appearance.

Though I digress. Though many styles across the world were designed to increase the attractiveness of a woman (corsets to constrict the waist and enhance the bust, bustles to enhance the rear, etc.), footbinding sounds more of a class-based fashion statement rather than an attractiveness-based one.

In fact, there are many instances of men wearing various undergarments to enhance their own figure as women do. For example, the codpiece covered the genitals and was often padded to give the appearance of a bulge. Stomachs in the late medieval period were stuffed fuller for both men and women to give the appearance of being well fed. Padding could be added to the thighs, calves, and shoulders to make them appear more shapely (especially when tight hose/stockings/breeches were worn), and men during the eighteenth century and early nineteenth century wore corsets to constrict their waists to the fashionable silouhette. It was not until further into the nineteenth century, in fact, that men (at least in the "West") relaxed their standards because there was a greater emphasis on the "equality" of all men. Fashionable men would adopt the clothing of the working classes to create a sense of egalitarianism in the new republics and constitutional monarchies. Since women were not citizens, they had no need to change their styles and continued to constrict themselves to fashions based on class as well as attractiveness.

Hehe, my history of fashion and costume class is fun

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 03-06-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't think that at all; please don't generalise. I have already stated that it was the MOTHERS who did this to their daughters, NOT the fathers.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-06-2008, 03:49 PM

To defend myself, I said women do it to themselves to please men.

Other than that, I found the rest fascinating. I want to go to your school. O.o You got fun, interesting classes!

Of course, many would disagree about my school having dumb classes; most of the girls in my school love the cosmotology. -.-

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 03-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Not all Chinese women bound their feet either; the Manchus didn't like footbinding at all and banned their women from doing it.

There are actually still women alive today with tiny bound feet. O_o

(#17 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM

EWW! They look like stubs!

I like my wide feet. They're small, but naturally that way, though also wide. They are definetely more than four inches. XD

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 03-06-2008, 04:11 PM

If my feet were bound to three inches, I'd have to be carried everywhere. I'm far too tall to have three inch feet; I'd fall over if I tried to stand, let along walk.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Default 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM

I measured; my feet are six inches. XD
I'm 5'2" at the shortest, and an inch taller than that at the tallest. XD I'm somewhere inbetween.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM

My feet are 8.5 inches long and I'm 5ft 9in. O.o