Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#61 (permalink))
Old
influx (Offline)

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: Not Rated
Default 01-16-2008, 12:49 PM

In my experience, when a person says "I'm proud to be a ____ and other beliefs should just shut up", it's been because they were mistreated by somebody of that other belief. Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, there will always be somebody in a particular belief who likes to hurt others. Or in the example of pushy converters, they haven't learned the give and take of philosophical discussion.
Technically, in science, for a theory to become a law, the concept has to be demonstrable and repeatable. Evolution can be guessed at by the scientific evidence and fossil record, but it can't be repeated in a lab (obviously). That's why evolution is still a theory and not a law.
(If you haven't noticed yet, I like to define all terms)
The authors of Genesis weren't trying to write a science book. They were trying to explain concepts like God being the creator, sin, redemption and the origin of evil. Even Jesus told fictional stories to explain deep ideas such as forgiveness and mercy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-16-2008, 03:34 PM

But the point that I and others are trying to make, is that people actually believe that a work of fiction is fact. That's like believing that the story of the seven dwarfs is fact, or basing a religion on the LOTR trilogy. Whereas evolution has been proven by the horse, the elephant, the whale to name but a few.

OK, the fight posts have been removed from the thread and it has been reopened. Can everyone now debate the subject maturely and respectfully now? Basically, if someone makes a post, then that is their opinion. You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to at least respect it. If you feel that you are unable to discuss this topic without getting angry, then I ask that you leave the thread. That is all.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 01-24-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#63 (permalink))
Old
Danica_Shardae (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 3 Votes / 4.67 Average
Post 01-28-2008, 08:15 PM

^ Yes, ma'am! *salutes*

I'm what someone would call the opposite of an athiest. I believe that there is a god, but I don't believe in any specific god. I am particularly interested in Islamic beliefs. But then again, I'm interested in a lot of things.

I always respect someone's religion, regardless of my personal views on it.

I'm still here, I just don't post AS OFTEN.

Check me out:
DeviantART
Tumblr
(#64 (permalink))
Old
ladee_da (Offline)
Forum Contributor

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 2 Votes / 4.50 Average
Default 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM

I guess I would call myself an atheist. I don't believe in god and I do believe in science. But I do hate it when some atheists act superior and smarter. I think everyone can believe in whatever they want as long as they're happy.
Its also incredibly ridiculous when someone was so brainwashed in being one religion their whole lives that all they believe, and they don't even understand what they have faith in.

I made my avvie and sig.
I know there not good, but please don't steal :]
(#65 (permalink))
Old
influx (Offline)

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: Not Rated
Default 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM

I'm glad you reopened this thread.

Nobody should act superior and smarter, regardless of belief system. If you ask me the reasons why I believe what I do, I'll be happy to tell you. Give me respect and I'll return it.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM

I believe that respect is a two way street; respect me and my views and you'll get it back. However there are sadly a lot of nutters who think they are worthy of respect regardless of how they act. -.-

(#67 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 10-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Well I just want to put in, it dosen't matter what religon you study. It dosen't make you un-cool or anything. I am Jewish, but I am doubting G-d exists. I don't belive in the devil, and I don't think I ever will. People can say something exists put you don't really have any proof.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM

I didn't know that the Jewish believe in the devil, I thought that was a thoroughly Christian creation. Is it your religion that says so or are you just listening to other people?

Sorry for the question, I really am genuinely curious about the details.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#69 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 10-07-2008, 07:54 PM

Well, I don't belive in it. I don't think or religon belives in the devil. But Judisam is very intresting. Wicca seems so too.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
Rocketship_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 6 Votes / 4.17 Average
Default 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda_ View Post
I believe that respect is a two way street; respect me and my views and you'll get it back. However there are sadly a lot of nutters who think they are worthy of respect regardless of how they act. -.-
That is exactly how I feel on the matter. You respect my beliefs? I'll respect yours.

I'm Christian, flat out. And I am d*mn proud of it, too. But I don't really care what your religion is, s'all good to me.
One thing that does bug me though, is when someone gets mad at you for talking about your religion. Don't become friends with someone, if you can't tolerate them talking about what they believe in.