Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default Death Penalty - 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM

I'm on a role this week when it comes to creating threads xD

I was reading an article about the lethal injection method and the possibility of it being revised and wondered what you all thought. Do you support it completely, wish to ban it, or want more restrictions on it? If you support it, what methods do you approve of? What sort of restrictions should be added?

Personally, I feel the death penalty is an easy way out for the prisoner who will never have to face the consequences of his actions. There have been plenty of people, who were put to death, that later on were proven to be innocent by DNA evidence. However, some people absolutely need to be put to death to protect the public. These people would have to be serious threats such as serial murderers or rapists though.

The only problem is the fact that we don't have a reasonably humane way to put these people to death. Lethal injections do not work for everyone and has been proven to paralyze a person occassionally, but they still have to suffer the agony of dying. The other authorized choices aren't that great either. Firing squads, hanging, gas chambers, and electrocution have been proven to be even worse than lethal injections.

Looking at it in a non-emotional way, it costs more money to put someone to death than it does to incarcerate them for life. Also, it has been proven to be related to crime rates. In months where there are more executions, there tends to be higher crime rates. Finally, there is no set guideline from state to state. A person in New York who commits a crime is not eligible while in another state they are. It just appears to me that the federal government should at least create guidelines for the death penalty and required circumstances if the prosecutor wants to pursue it. Overall, the bad points seem to overly outweigh the goods of the death penalty.

For more information and statistics: Death Penalty Information Center
Method Descriptions: Descriptions of Execution Methods
Crimes Punishable by the Death Penalty(by state): Crimes Punishable by the Death Penalty (please note some may have changed)

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!