Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

General Discussion Anything you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM

The Brown Lady Ghost of Raynham Hall

The most famous scary true ghost story is that of the Brown Lady Ghost of Raynham Hall, Norfolk. The case also led to the most famous picture of a ghost ever taken. The picture was captured on September 19, 1936 when two photographers, Mr. Indre Shira and Captain Provand, spotted a figure descending the stairs and snapped a picture.

Locals who examined the photo believe that it is the ghost of Lady Dorothy Walpole. Lady Dorothy was in love with Second Viscount Townshend. However, her father would not consent to the marriage, so Tonwshend married another woman. Meanwhile, Dorothy had an affair with a man named Lord Wharton, who was also deeply in debt, considered a severe character flaw back then. When Townshend's first wife died, he and Dorothy were finally married. Somehow, Townshend eventually learned of his wife's past transgressions and locked her away in her apartments. She officially died on March 29, 1726 of smallpox, but many locals still believe that she died of a broken neck after being pushed down the wooden staircase.

Lady Walpole is known as "The Brown Lady" because she was spotted several times through the years wearing a brown brocade dress. In one case, in 1936, Author Captain Marryat and two young guests, one of whom brought along a gun for protection from the ghosts, spotted the Brown Lady headed down the hall coming directly toward them. Captain Marryat was so frightened that he even attempted to shoot at the ghost with the gun, but only succeeded in embedding a bullet into the door behind her.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default More ghost stories! - 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM

The Phantom Hitchhiker Of South Africa.

South African Army Corporal Dawie Van Jaarsveld was motor-biking to Louterwater to see his girlfriend. It was the early months of 1978, and the early part of the evening on the Barrandas-Willowmore road near Uniondale. The hitchhiker in this case was an attractive brunette in dark trousers and a blue top. Van Jaarsveld stopped to give her a lift, keeping one eye on the road around to ensure that she was not a decoy for a mugging. The girl indicated she wanted a lift and the corporal gave her a spare crash helmet and an earplug so that she could listen to the radio, as he was doing, which would keep her awake during the drive.

After a few miles the corporal was alerted by a bumping sensation and looked back to find his passenger gone. There was no trace of the girl and the spare helmet was strapped to the bike. The investigator, Cynthia Hind, verified directly with the corporal that he had gone to a cafe in Uniondale and the proprietress there confirmed his distracted state of mind. Cynthia Hind then went to Louterwater Farm where one of the people on the farm also testified to the corporal's state of mind. According to another investigator, David Barritt, the witness identified the phantom hitchhiker from a photograph shown to him as Maria Charlotte Roux.

She was a 22-year-old who had been killed in the early hours of the morning of 12 April 1968, ten years previously, in a car crash near Uniondale when a car driven by her fiance veered off the road. This 'hitchhiker' is a much reported phenomenon of this area. In May 1976 another witness, Anton Le Grange, had encountered what would appear to be the same hitchhiker, who had asked to be taken to an address that could not later be verified and who disappeared from the car during the drive. This disappearance seems to be unique amongst hitchhiker stories for Mr Le Grange heard a hideous scream from inside the car and saw the right rear door swing open as though somebody was opening it, although no one was visible.

The car was travelling at speed at the time. Even more extraordinarily, the car was being followed by a Police Constable Potgieter and apparently he, too, saw the door opening.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-09-2012, 05:28 PM

The Cardiff Poltergeist.

During the 1980s, Mower Services was run by John Matthews along with his wife Pat and his brother Fred. Mower Services had enjoyed good trade since opening. It had built up a loyal customer base drawn from across Cardiff and the family were earning a decent wage from the business. Times were good at Mower Services.

However, one day the peace at Mower Services was permanently shattered. John and Fred were doing some repairs on a car in the workshop area of their premises when suddenly they heard a tremendous clattering coming from the roof. Assuming that children were outside throwing stones, Fred went to investigate, only to find the surrounding area to be deserted. As soon as he returned to the workshop the noise started again, causing John to remonstrate with his brother for not stopping the child vandals. Perplexed, Fred explained that the forecourt was empty and that there was no possible way the noise was being made by someone outside.

This was the beginning of an intensive period of poltergeist activity that would go on to be witnessed by police officers, insurance officials, academics, a priest and a large number of Mower Service’s customers. In the words of John Matthews, the “spirit decided to move in”. As well as the usual poltergeist phenomena, such as unexplainable changes in temperature and mysterious, overpowering smells, the spirit showed a fondness for childish tricks. For example, keys would go missing for hours and hours, only to be thrown from no where at their owner. Money would also go missing, then turn-up stuck to the ceiling or wedged in a crack in the wall. Despite all the paranormal activity, Fred and John insisted during interviews that they never felt threatened by the spirit’s presence. They even gave it a friendly nickname – “Pete the Poltergeist”.

What did concern the owners of Mower Services was the fact that customers began witnessing the ghostly activity. They became worried that the poltergeist may well scare away their trade, so decided to treat it a lot more seriously than they had originally. One day John and Fred decided to conduct a test, along with their staff, to evaluate the degree to which “Pete” would respond to what they were doing. Everyone present at the time was asked either to leave the premises or join-in the test. All doors and exits were then locked and the remaining individuals sat around a large circular table holding hands. The group then requested the spirit to make its presence known and sure enough a stone suddenly landed on the table. This prompted one of those present to suggest that the group should record the responses by writing them down. Seconds later a pen was thrown from nowhere, again landing on the table.

To the astonishment of all present, the Cardiff Poltergeist seemed to demonstrate a level of rudimentary intelligence, alongside a willingness to interact with the living world. During the test, those present requested that the spirit throw specific items, such as a coin or a battery. Amazingly, according to the witnesses, the spirit obliged by throwing exactly what had been requested each time.

(#34 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-09-2012, 05:33 PM

The Stocksbridge Bypass Haunting.

A group of security guards saw a group of children late one night playing just below Pearoyd Bridge. They were curious as the children appeared to be wearing antiquated clothing. When they reached the spot where they had spotted the children they found nothing. The mud on the ground bore no footmarks. The following morning they found that workmen staying in caravans often heard children singing during the night.

The following night they observed a figure on the bridge that looked like a monk. When they drove towards him he vanished. This totally spooked the two blokes who contacted Deepcar Police station. The Police (as might be expected) didn't believe them and joked that they needed a priest rather than a copper. They took him at his word and contacted the local vicar, who himself contacted the Police!

Later two policemen went to investigate. They parked their car so they could see the bridge. They thought they saw something move but on investigating found a tarpaulin blowing. Suddenly it appeared to go cold. Looking round they both saw a body - torso only in the window. Then it vanished. They tried to start the car but at first it didn't start. They drove over towards the construcution area and parked up and informed the nick of their position. At this point a loud crash was felt in the car. No-one was around. As you may guess the two bobbies high tailed it back to Deepcar as fast as possible.

Legend has it that it is the ghost of a disillusioned monk that left Hunshelf Priory and went to work at Underbank Hall. Children are said to have fallen down the numerous pit shafts that litter the North side of the valley.

There have been numerous sightings of children since and the monk even appears inside the cars of people to this day. Whether its true, you can make up your own mind but if you drive late at night on the bypass on your own take care. It's a spooky place!

Muncaster Castle.

Muncaster is one of Britain's most haunted castles.
Paranormal researchers often come to the Castle to seek rational explanations of the strange happenings, without success.
Many tales revolve around Tom Fool, a powerful force at Muncaster. It was said that he used to sit outside under the chestnut tree, and if someone he didn't like asked him for directions, he'd send them to their deaths in the quicksand rather than to the ford. He also murdered a carpenter by beheading him in order to keep his master's favour; the headless carpenter's ghost has also been seen outside the castle.

Hauntings often occur in The Tapestry Room. Visitors complain of the disturbed nights, hear footsteps outside the the room, see the door handle turning, and the door opening although nobody is there. A child is frequently heard crying towards the window end of the room, and sometimes a lady heard singing, comforting a sick child. Visitors have also felt cold in the room for no apparent reason.

Other stories concern the 'Muncaster Boggle' or White Lady who haunts the gardens and roadways around Muncaster. She is supposedly the ghost of Mary Bragg, a young girl murdered in the early 1800s on the road near the Main Gate.

(#35 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM

The building I work in is over a hundred years old, and has plenty of stories to tell. Mind, most are vague hand-me-downs, but the tenth floor is so legendarily spooky and haunted that my da.mn boss took a camera up there one day to see what he could find.

He still doesn't talk about it.

My own experiences have been slim so far; when I worked in the book store, early in the day before the main lights were on, I'd see a woman flipping through books; but when I'd go toward her, she'd walk around a book shelf and disappear.

The other one is a bit more weird; it was around 8 on Saturday and I'd come in early to make donuts. Yes, 8 is early for our Saturday people. Anyway, I was grabbing more toppings when I noticed someone standing by the oven. I thought maybe it was Toni, but when I called out, her voice - Toni's voice - was far away, in the actual front of the bakery. When I came back from around the shelving, the woman was gone. She was tall, black hair, ebony skin, wore the Macy's type of uniform: Black clothes, shoes, leggings, the works. I didn't see her face though, but it still weirded me out.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-14-2012, 04:49 PM

A Poltergeist Named Bill.

The rasping male voice sent a chill through the room. Hauntingly, it delivered a message from beyond the grave, describing in graphic detail the moment of death.

‘Just before I died, I went blind, and then I had an ’aemorrhage and I fell asleep and I died in the chair in the corner downstairs.’

The eerie voice — which can still be heard on audio tapes today — is purportedly that of Bill Wilkins. The recording was made in Enfield, North London, in the Seventies, several years after his death.

Most horrifying of all, however, was that the voice was coming from the body of an 11-year-old girl, Janet Hodgson. She appeared to be possessed. It could have been a scene from the film The Exorcist — but it was real.

A policewoman even signed an affidavit that she had seen a chair move. There were more than 30 witnesses to the strange incidents.

The activity occurred at Enfield in North London, at 284 Green Street, a council house rented to Peggy Hodgson, a single parent with four children.

During this time furniture is said to have moved by itself, knockings on the walls were heard, and children's toys were said to have been thrown around and to have been too hot to touch when picked up. A police officer signed an affidavit to affirm that she saw a chair move. Reports of the activity attracted various visitors including mediums and members of the press. One photographer reported being hit on the forehead with a Lego brick. After visiting the house, George Fallows, a senior reporter for the Daily Mirror, suggested that the Society for Psychical Research (SPR) be called in to investigate.

The incidents were duly investigated by Maurice Grosse and Guy Lyon Playfair, both members of the SPR, who were convinced by the evidence which they encountered during their thirteen month investigation.

The family in the Enfield case consisted of a mother, two daughters and two sons; Margaret aged 12, a younger sister Janet aged 11, Johnny aged 10 and Billy aged 7. Billy had a speech impediment. Johnny featured only marginally in the inexplicable events, at least 26 of which the investigators considered could not be accounted for by fraud. These included moving furniture, flying marbles, interference with bedclothes, cold breezes, pools of water on the floor, apparitions, physical assaults, graffiti, equipment malfunction and failure, disappearance and reappearance of objects, apparent levitations, and fires which spontaneously ignited and extinguished themselves.

(#37 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 09-14-2012, 04:54 PM

The Ghosts Of Pluckley.

Pluckley is a village in England which is known as the most haunted village in the country. It boasts no less than twelve ghosts. The most well known are detailed below.

The Screaming Man
This is the most famous of all Pluckley ghosts. The terrible screams that are heard in the area of the Brickworks belong to a man working there who was smothered to death when a wall of clay collapsed on him.

Fright Corner Ghosts
The area now known as Fright Corner at Pinnock Crossroads, is the site of two Pluckley hauntings.

The Highwayman
The method favoured by highwayman Robert du Bois for ambushing his victims was to hide in a dead hollow tree and jump out as they came past, presumably with the highwayman's cry of, 'Your money or your life'.
Unfortunately, du Bois didn't know when to stop and his hiding place became local knowledge. Villages decided to take matters into their own hands and ambushed the ambusher. He was killed and the phantom form of the long since vanished tree is seen and pinned to it by several swords is the image of du Bois lifeless body.

Watercress Woman
The other ghost here is to be found near the Pinnock stream. She is an elderly gypsy watercress woman who is thought to have burned to death when her clothing caught alight when she fell asleep while smoking her clay pipe.

Phantom Coach and Horses
This spectral vehicle has been seen by several people at various places around the village including at Pinnock Crossroads. The coach is pulled by either two or four horses and seems to have last been reported as being seen in the mid 1990's.

Pluckley's Haunted Church
The Church of St. Nicholas, is the centre for several hauntings. Bangs are heard from beneath the church and, at the same time, flickering lights are seen inside the church. It has been speculated that this is caused by the unquiet soul of Lady Dering, who was buried within seven coffins in what would have been a futile attempt to preserve her body from decomposition. Maybe she is not happy that her mortal remains have, 'gone the way of all flesh'.

Lady Dering, if it is indeed her, also appears in the churchyard as either the Red Lady or the White Lady.

Another ghost to be found within the church is a woman who, from the clothes she is wearing, appears to be from the mid 20th century.

Pluckley's Haunted Pub
As can be imagined, any place with the title of the most haunted village in England is very popular with 'ghost hunters'. And one place that they often can be found is the haunted 'Black Horse' pub which was built in 1430. One spectre enjoys moving and hiding things and has even locked the landlady out of the pub several times.
Ther is also a room upstairs which dogs refuse to enter and where a young girl saw someone she described as being, 'a nice lady in a red dress'.

Phantom Schoolmaster
The unusually named, "D'ick Buss's Lane" recalls the miller who once worked in the area. And it was here in the 1800's that the body of a schoolmaster was found hanging from a tree. He had committed suicide by hanging himself. The ghost of the man hanging from a phantom tree, was seen in 1965 by an author. He said that the ghost was wearing trousers that had stripes and an old coat.