Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Food, Cooking and Recipes Everything that has to deal with food and places to eat. Share your food recipes and secrets, talk about favourite dishes and restaurants.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default Refrigerating Maple Syrup? - 09-12-2011, 10:57 AM

So, I've noticed a growing trend in whether or not people keep this stuff cold. My folks never have, and as a result, I tend not to. But after a roommate of mine pointed it out, I realize a lot of syrup bottles say to refrigerate after opening it.

What's you guys' take on it?

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 09-12-2011, 01:25 PM

I've never had syrup go bad before in my life, so refrigerating has never been necessary...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Syrup is made of pure sugar, so it's unlikely to go off. It may go hard and crystaline tho, after a few years. But I never kept syrup in the fridge; it did alright in the larder.

Then again, syrup never is around long enough to crystalise in my house.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Neither. Most of the time it just waits in the cupboard, I know some people who do keep syrup in the fridge but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Default 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM

I use the 100% pure Canadian stuff and it always stays in the pantry, even during our hot Australian summers, never had a problem with crystallization or it going bad.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 09-14-2011, 01:06 AM

Oh wow...normally I'm a freak about following food lables EXACTLY, but I won't be putting my syrup in the fridge. Only acception I'd make are the fruit flavored syrups.

On a slightly related topic...who refrigerates other things while other people don't? I for one ALWAYS refrigerate my mustard, but FREAKED out when I saw my In-Laws did not, ew, lol. But then they think I'M the wierd one because I don't refrigerate my vegetable/canola oil. Course, there are bound to be differences between us. I'm a mid-westerner and they're southerners! You should have seen me at Thanksgiving, I about cried from all the differences with food, lol.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiemum777 View Post
I use the 100% pure Canadian stuff and it always stays in the pantry, even during our hot Australian summers, never had a problem with crystallization or it going bad.
Probably cuz it's the 100% stuff. The stuff we get here isn't 100%; it's often just flavoured syrup. Golden syrup is more popular over here; and that often crystalises if you leave it for too long. Not talking about days, weeks, months here; you get a bit of crystal if you leave it years.