Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Food, Cooking and Recipes Everything that has to deal with food and places to eat. Share your food recipes and secrets, talk about favourite dishes and restaurants.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
silvercyclone (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 1 Votes / 4.00 Average
Default Sea Salt? - 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM

There isn't a place for seasonings so I just put this here

There seems to be this new craze for sea salt and i don't get why. I really can't taste the difference so assumed there would be some health reason. But as every box of salt says "this contains iodide, a necessary nutrient". Sea salt does not say that. So if anyone knows, why should, or shouldn't I bother with sea salt?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kiani (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 4.00 Average
Default 03-24-2008, 11:23 PM

Sea salt is naturally occuring whereas table salt is made artifically.

Due to an increase in awareness of thyroid disease table salt is now having iodine artificially added, sea salt contains it naturally.

Also, sea salt has little effect on your blood pressure, so people with high blood pressure can eat it, whereas they shouldnt be eating table salt.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dudettel (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 12 Votes / 4.33 Average
Send a message via Yahoo to dudettel
Default 03-25-2008, 12:13 AM

From: Sea salt: Is it better for you than regular salt? - MayoClinic.com

"Sea salt and table salt have the same nutritional value. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste and texture.
Sea salt is harvested from seawater through evaporation. Table salt is typically from rock salt, which is mined from mineral deposits. Both types of salt can be fully refined, and the end result is pure sodium chloride. Variations in the refining process result in different forms of salt.
Table salt is a fine-grained salt that often contains added iodine (iodized salt). Iodine is necessary for normal thyroid function. Some table salt may also contain anti-caking ingredient.
Sea salt is available in fine or coarse grain. Sea salt has a slightly different taste than table salt because of different minerals it contains. Many people prefer sea salt to table salt because they claim it has a more subtle flavor. Sea salt doesn't contain iodine or any other additives. However, if you use sea salt you typically don't have to worry about not getting enough iodine in your diet because iodine is available in many other foods, including dairy products, seafood and many processed foods.
If you favor foods with fewer additives, you may prefer sea salt. But there's no evidence that the additives in table salt are harmful to your health. Although your body needs some sodium to function properly, most people eat too much, which can lead to high blood pressure. Whether you use sea salt, table salt or some other type of salt, most experts recommend between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day for healthy adults."

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Oscar Wilde
(#4 (permalink))
Old
silvercyclone (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 1 Votes / 4.00 Average
Default 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM

blood pressure... i totally forgot about that

thanks for your answers, though i think eating less salt would solve those health issues. I guess once i'm a food scientist i can say what i like about salt

Seek ye first the kingdom of God...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AwesomeBean

Smile 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM

I bought Sea Salt for treating infections, mostly ear infections...like the pierced earing hole.

But, my Mom started using it to replace regular salt. I personally like it better for some reason.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
heart1319

Default 03-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Its fresh, and if you eat it like as many times you eat regular salt, (you'll get a split tongue with regular salt) but if you eat it, to much you still can get a split tongue. So my family buys it, b/c It doesn't hurt us and I tastes MUCH better than regular salt!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Coloured_Dreams

Default 03-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Yes, the flavour is more subtle. But I don't ever see the difference so I have whatever's availible. You shouldn't have any more than 6grams of salt a day. If you have too much, it can slowly poison you. I'm only talking about double this amount. For young children, the limit is 5g. A boy was once fed 10 spoons of salt by his foster parents. They're in prison for abuse, or manslaughter or something along those lines because the boy had died, since he was only about three.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dudettel (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 12 Votes / 4.33 Average
Send a message via Yahoo to dudettel
Default 04-02-2008, 12:46 AM

A mineralogist at my school scoffs at the idea of using sea salt...he would "much rather use mined salt that eroded from oceans before they were polluted."

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Oscar Wilde
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sugarrush

Default 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM

most chefs like it cause it's natural. I heard it has some health benefits but i'm not sure what those are. sure is good on dark chocolate!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM

I've had it once or twice at restaurants and at friends' houses, and I definitely prefer it (with regular salt my tongue starts to hurt within minutes and my lips chap like OWIE!! in seconds); though my parents won't buy it because here it's weirdly expensive and so they won't buy it.

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm