Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Entertainment Music, Movies, TV, news...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default The wardstone chronicles: The spook's nightmare. - 05-29-2010, 07:09 PM

The wardstone chronicles is a series concerning the training of Tom Ward, as a spook (Demon hunter, slayer, etc) the job includes various perks, such as learning to throw a silver chain over a witch before she rips you limb from limb, and trapping boggarts before they drain your blood and leave you to die. Sounds peachy, doesn't it? Well, it gets loads more fun when he falls in love with a witch, and gets the devil itself on his tail. XD

The newest book in the series is The spook's nightmare; set after the last book, which was supposedly the finale. In the last book, all hell breaks loose (rather literally) and the cliffhanger at the end is very end-of-the line-ish.

Here's the summary for the book.

The Spook, Tom and Alice return from Greece to find the County under siege and the Spooks home burnt to the ground. With his precious library of knowledge destroyed, they seek refuge on the nearby island of Mona. But with Mona in the thrall of a twisted Shaman there is little respite from hostility or denizens of the dark. And as Alice dodges the ever-tightening net of the islands witch hunters, a more deadly enemy emerges...

Bony Lizzie, freshly-escaped from the Spooks bonds, has grand ambitions: to take for herself the throne of isle. She has harnessed the services of a tunnel-dwelling buggane, an evil creature which thrives on stealing the animas, or life force, from its unsuspecting victims. With the buggane as her secret weapon can she become an all-powerful Witch Queen?

^Thought this particular b*tch was dealt with good and proper ages ago >>

So, has anyone else read these books?

I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick. ~ Valkyrie Cain
Ill buy you a stick for Christmas. - Skulduggery Pleasant
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sentimental7 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 4.50 Average
Default 05-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Ah, I love this series too! So great, I like reading series like this.. =) So gleefully creepy. <3 I like a lot of things centered around demons/ghosts/witches/etc.. they are very interesting and some of the things pertaining to the witch hunts are actually very true, unfortunately. =/

The series goes by a different name in America, "The Last Apprentice" and the books all have different titles.. I kind of find that stupid and prefer the original. XD

Anyway, I have only read the first three so far, but I plan on purchasing the rest very soon! I think Alice x Tom are so cute together.. o___o I also like the Spook's boggart, hehe. XD

Awww, gah... Bony Lizzie again?! @___@" Perhaps this is why they should kill witches sometimes instead of just burying them in pits and such. D: I am glad the Spook did not kill Meg though.. I also do not blame her for what she did. XD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 06-10-2010, 08:22 PM

*looks sad* The spook's boggart is gone in this book. =(

Dead witches are funny. XD The way they walk around, crawling with insects and then start chatting amiably with any witches of their clan that happen to stroll on through. It's ridiculous in a creepy way.

I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick. ~ Valkyrie Cain
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sentimental7 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 06-12-2010, 10:43 AM

Aww, noooes! What happened to it?! It was so adorable.. I want one for myself.. ♥

..You're right, I suppose they can be kind of amusing at times.. XD Whilst still maintaining the creepy and disgusting factors.. <___<

I would never ever want to be around a feral lamia though, even if it was in a pit.. *shudder*

(#5 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 06-12-2010, 11:04 AM

****aight. O_O Those things are just creepy. Especially the Vengyr.

Giant snake-insect things... XD

And the boggart left because of the details of the pact; It would be the Spook's guard as long as the house at Chipenden had a roof. The house got torched, the roof fell in, no more boggart. =P

Of course, the legacy of it slaughtering about fifty soldiers in its last defense of the house shall never be forgotten.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
sentimental7 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 06-19-2010, 10:23 AM

.. Ewwww. D:

Aww, yeah.. the pact... T.T Buuut whyyyyy... *runs off to find the boggart*

Yeah... it was a very skilled thing. ♥ Much better than the boggarts in Harry Potter, in my opinion. XD

Grrr, I really need to get around to buying the rest of the books in the series.. -___-"

(#7 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 06-19-2010, 10:59 AM

YESH!

And I declare we need more ancient horrors from beneath the sea. XD

(#8 (permalink))
Old
sentimental7 (Offline)
Shuni

Default 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Yaaay, I finally just broke and checked out book four of the series at my local library.. =D Would have gotten all of the rest, but they were missing the fifth one.. =/

I plan to begin reading it soon, but I got a lot of other books from the library and have to pick up two more tomorrow.. @___@; ♥

(#9 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM

WHAT?
THERE'S ANOTHER ONE? D:
I read all the other ones >___>; I had NO idea whatsoever that there was another one after the final, I really thought the final did not explain everything, and my friends said that there was not going to be another one.
YAY.
But I'll have to read it later, somehow.
I love this series <3 Even though Alice is a little messed up, I like her
SOmetimes the Spook irritates me >.>