Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Entertainment Music, Movies, TV, news...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 12-05-2008, 05:08 PM

A while ago I thought that Twilight was just another crappy bestseller and that there was no reason to get worked up over it, but the obsessiveness of some fans is really getting creepy. There's stories of girls leaving their boyfriends because they're not like Edward - and not just schoolgirls; there was a story about a married woman who didn't find her marriage satisfying after reading Twilight. And then there are those who try to get together with guys named "Edward" just because of their names. I mean, that is not normal.

I'm completely okay with people enjoying Twilight, but if you actually start letting it affect your real life relationships to this extent, there's something deeply wrong about it. And don't tell me that I'm getting too worked up over a book; I'm not trying to get together with someone because they share a name with a fictional character.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanashley View Post
We all have our own opinions. My point is that we don't always need to speak our minds. I'm sure our moms, dads, or someone at some point in our lives told us that if we don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The thing I'm trying to point out is that I (and other people I'm guessing) don't go on threads for other movies, books, shows, or whatever and say stuff like "Yeah, it's so stupid. I don't know how you like that!". I'm not saying that any of you said that, but that's what it seems like. If you don't like it, why can't you just say something like, "Yeah, I don't like it much. But I don't care if you do."? Doesn't that sound nicer and not offensive? I don't like how people are coming on here and saying how dumb Twilight is or whatever, and then saying all kind of reasons why. It's your opinion, people! If it's going to offend someone or something, don't say it! And I'm not trying to point out anyone specifically, I'm just saying this to everyone. =)
I will only say this once to you, if you cannot handle the discussion, leave. No one here cares about people enjoying it, we all have guilty pleasures. We care about young girls enjoying it and getting the wrong messages from it, which is clearly occurring. Not everything in this thread is going to be nice because this is not a fan only thread. I do not allow fan-only threads because discussion can only occur with both sides coming into contact. No one is posting here just saying it is stupid, we have given legitimate reasons and you are simply dismissing them.

Also, kindly do not try to do my job. I can warn people well enough on my own that things are getting strained. Any opinion can offend, but that isn't a reason to not state them. If people were being blatantly vicious without reason, I would step in, but they are not. In the future, do not tell others not to post just because you are uncomfortable or upset.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Agreed. You are perfectly welcome to go and find a Twilight fan board so you can only talk about the book with other fans, but here there are people who dislike the books and who won't agree with you. Look, just cuz you disagree with an opinion does not mean it's nasty; in fact, what you said was far more insulting than anything the antis have said. I would say that you need to leave this topic and not post in it again if you are unable to discuss the subject in a reasonable and mature manner.

(#44 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM

Exactly. I'm tired of people getting so upset because people don't agree with them. Everyone is allowed their opinion about things, and not everyone agrees. For example, I have a guilty pleasure; Britney Spears. I don't know why, but I like her music. It's so... dancey. xD Of course, there are loads of people that feel differently, and I'm okay with that. Some people like certain books, and other people don't, but that's no need to be upset. Everyone thinks differently.

The problem is, like Miranda and Kitty stated, is the fact that girls are starting to think abuse is okay - and some don't even see it as abuse, but ROMANCE. It's that bad. Teen girls are going to hunt these guys down and find themselves in abusive relationships that they won't even admit are abusive.

But basically you're saying that if we don't like Twilight, then we should shut our trap. Um... well, that isn't going to happen. I'm using my right to free speech the way I see fit.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
iluvdolphin6 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Default 12-06-2008, 03:01 PM

yes, and im fine w/that. i mean, i like the books. i dont like what they can lead to.

It's weird how you say that you hate the guy who broke your heart.. but when he runs back to you, your arms are wide open..
(#46 (permalink))
Old
antimaie (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 12 Votes / 3.83 Average
Send a message via AIM to antimaie Send a message via Yahoo to antimaie
Default 12-06-2008, 03:35 PM

I loved, Twilight, but I think that the movie totally ruined it. Robert Pattison was not a very good actor (in my opinion), and Kristen Stewart's voice is all rough and scratchy, and really bugs me. I know people have their flaws, but Edward is supposed to be perfect, and Bella is supposed to be pretty close.

A lot of my freinds love Twilight, and me and my friend (who hated Twilight but was forced to see the movie and now loves the movie, but won't read the books out of being a zombie like our one friend.) have come up with a theory. Most of our friends are 13-15, and all have either never been in a realationship, or have been in one that never worked out, due to the people being different, guy cheating, ect. My friend thinks the reason so many people like Twilight, is because their realationships didnt turn out so hot, and they think reading about a happy couple makes them happier, and fills the hole in their heart. She has an example too. >.< My friend, Lauren, liked a guy in 8th grade, but he didn't like her, typical story. She liked him for a really long time, and it took her forever to get over him. She started reading Twilight, and "fell in love" with Edward. Then the next school year, she liked this guy that was pale white, really sweet, that she totally thought was her "perfect Edward." She had heard it around that he cheated on his last girlf, but she didnt care. So they went out for about a couple months, and then she found out he cheated on her with her friend. Please dont attack me for saying this, my friend came up with it, and I agree with it.

baby, you got me. ♥
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Doctorwho_gal (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 4.50 Average
Default 12-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Saw a interview with Kristen Stuart on a children TV show about Twilight she says "Its an incredibly obsessive, creepy romance" So WHY is it being marketed at children?! Regardless of whether Twilight is a good book or film the film should not be a 12A. For Gods sake, in the last book they have sex, Bella gets pregnant and the baby tears through her stomach! How is that suitable for 12 year olds?
Stephanie Meyer really needs to sort that out.

There is a theory which states that if ever
anybody discovers exactly what the Universe
is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something
even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Doctorwho_gal : 12-06-2008 at 05:16 PM.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
iluvdolphin6 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Default 12-06-2008, 05:34 PM

yeah, im 12, when i read that part, im just like, "oh....my.....god.EWWWW!"
like it was like, "the baby ripped through Bella's delicate skin" and before that even happens, she starts drinking BLOOD. BEFORE she is even a vampire.

It's weird how you say that you hate the guy who broke your heart.. but when he runs back to you, your arms are wide open..
(#49 (permalink))
Old
FlowersFall (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 12-06-2008, 07:48 PM

W-o-w! That freakin gross...So Bella and Edward had a baby?...that a pretty big spoiler! but I like spoilers! Lolz
I started reading the first book, like 3 weeks ago, but I've haven't read it in like 2 weeks I'm not into it like I was...but I do want to see the movie...So bad!!
(#50 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Apparantly the baby is called nessie, short for renesmee.
Also, apparantly jacob 'imprints' little nessie. And falls in love with it. wtf? Some century old weirdo werewolf falls in love with a BABY? That meyer person needs her head checked ...

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 12-06-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: No reason for derogatory talk