Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Entertainment Music, Movies, TV, news...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Online)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM

There are a lot better ways to protect someone than controlling their every move. "I lock her up and control what she does in order to protect her" is exactly what an abusive man would say about his partner in order to excuse himself. Someone I chat to on another board; her ex husband was the controlling type. He wouldn't let her go out wearing skirts or sleeveless tops; he took away and hid her car keys cuz he was paranoid she was seeing other men; he constantly told her that he was doing these things for her own good. Hmm, sounds familiar.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Aihana_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 22 Votes / 4.45 Average
Send a message via AIM to Aihana_ Send a message via MSN to Aihana_
Default 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM

I know you guys don't like it, I just can't see why you get worked up over a book. Not everyone wants to read about real things, that's why there is fantasy. It's really just a book for enjoyment, there's a lot of crappy books out there, the book I am reading now for example, I figured the whole book out in the first 30 pages. But it's still fun to read.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Online)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM

We are allowed to express our opinion, you know; if you don't want to read negative comments on the book, then feel free to go and join a Twilight fan forum. No-one is flaming, or attacking fans, or saying anything rude about the author; so I really don't see why you feel you have to be defensive.

I read trash too; I read magazines with celeb and real life stories in them. However, I don't read a story about a man who abuses his partner and believe that it's somehow OK for him to do this cuz he says he loves her and wants to protect her. I don't read about Amy Winehouse's husband threatening suicide if she leaves him and think that's sane and normal behaviour in a relationship. O.o

(#34 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM

Look, I will relate this to my own experiences and hopefully then you will see how sick it is.

I have been in multiple abusive relationships. I'm not one to pick out the best guys and have really only been with a handful that are decent, one which is amazing. I have actually told myself time and again that I deserved to be beaten, cheated on, and put down because I am no good. I have had to ask permission to go out somewhere because I need "protection". I wasn't allowed to be with friends without constantly checking in and the friends had to be approved ahead of time. All throughout this time though, every single one of them said they loved me. They only did it to protect me, to better me. What they were doing was grooming me to become a slave and I didn't realize it. In fact, I accepted everything they told me as the truth and had serious consequences because of it, not only physically, but mentally as well.

Edward does this to Bella. He tells her that he is trying to protect her, but that involves limiting contact with everyone except him. That creates a situation where she begins to see him as the only person she can trust, which is also known as grooming. He created a situation where she needed him emotionally purely because he was her "protector" and "the only one who loves her", which is what an abuse victim thinks. They think that their abuser does these things because they love them and want to better them.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Aihana_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 22 Votes / 4.45 Average
Send a message via AIM to Aihana_ Send a message via MSN to Aihana_
Default 12-04-2008, 07:40 PM

I wasn't trying to be defensive, I was just wondering how everyone can get this upset over a book. I am aware of all the flaws, and I will admit it isn't a very well written book, I still enjoyed it though.

(#36 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM

We are upset about the books because it tells young girls that abuse is okay. In fact, it tells them that this is the perfect loving relationship, which is very far from the truth. The worst part is that it never addresses the problems with it. I have read plenty of books with abuse in them, but this is one of the few I've seen where abuse is portrayed as GOOD. In fact, abuse is desirable in these books.

I am upset because girls think this is love.
I am upset because girls will search out men like Edward.
I am upset because girls will be controlled and abused, but think it is okay because of Bella and Edward.
I am upset because girls will DIE from that abuse.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Online)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM

I'm upset due to the fact that a generation of girls will grow up to think that an abusive relationship is normal and loving; and that will probably have serious repercussions later. Abuse is not just hitting or rape; emotional abuse leaves scars too, just not visible ones.

(#38 (permalink))
Old
AaronShadows (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 9 Votes / 3.00 Average
Default 12-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Twilight Bashing by ~wingsgirl on deviantART

Happyness. ^^

“I mean a weapon you hold. You have a gun, Tanith has a sword... I want a stick.” ~ Valkyrie Cain
“I’ll buy you a stick for Christmas.” - Skulduggery Pleasant
(#39 (permalink))
Old
iluvdolphin6 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM

isnt it just a book?
yes, but obbsessed girls will go out looking for "Edward's". then they will think abuse is okay. and get killed. or extremely hurt. i know when you look at my avvie, u will be confused. i KNOW that there is no "perfect" guy out there. i mean, EDWARD isnt perfect in the book bc he cant get serious will bella without nearly killing her. i KNOW there is no edward out there.but i wish there was.......
i mean, the books are still interesting to read, for me. well, it does have a few flaws....but i dont really care. i'm not a type of person that needs everything perfect.

It's weird how you say that you hate the guy who broke your heart.. but when he runs back to you, your arms are wide open..
(#40 (permalink))
Old
jordanashley (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.33 Average
Default 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Look, to all of you, EVERY book has flaws. I admit, Twilight does. It doesn't mean it isn't an awesome book, to me atleast. I really don't like how some of you go around saying how Twilight isn't a good book and how the characters aren't well-developed or whatever. That's your opinion on Twilight. Mine is that it's my favorite book at the moment (yes, shoot me XD). We all have our own opinions. My point is that we don't always need to speak our minds. I'm sure our moms, dads, or someone at some point in our lives told us that if we don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The thing I'm trying to point out is that I (and other people I'm guessing) don't go on threads for other movies, books, shows, or whatever and say stuff like "Yeah, it's so stupid. I don't know how you like that!". I'm not saying that any of you said that, but that's what it seems like. If you don't like it, why can't you just say something like, "Yeah, I don't like it much. But I don't care if you do."? Doesn't that sound nicer and not offensive? I don't like how people are coming on here and saying how dumb Twilight is or whatever, and then saying all kind of reasons why. It's your opinion, people! If it's going to offend someone or something, don't say it! And I'm not trying to point out anyone specifically, I'm just saying this to everyone. =)