Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Entertainment Music, Movies, TV, news...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#21 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Well, it's the fact that she's sort of... empty... beyond her obsession with Edward. Meyer didn't really develop her fully... go read that thread posted by... I think it was Elanorea. It's one of the first few posts in this thread.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM

A Mary Sue to a cerain extent overlaps with the Drama Queen area as well. Mary Sues are typically identified as being "perfect" characters or some of their flaws/talents are outrageously unrealistic. If someone is incredibly good looking, is intelligent, strong, brave, with psychic powers, rainbow eyes, etc etc, they are a Mary Sue. Mary Sues also tend to suffer through unrealistic hardships, making them fall partially into the Drama Queen category. They tend to have survived slavery to a man that rap.ed them twelve times a day in some unknown country by having stabbed him with a rusty spoon and are now amazingly successful business women with three beaus on the side and amazing looks after ten kids.

Quote:
A negative reference to a female character
commonly used by beginning writers in their Fan-fiction.

Most times, the "Mary-Sue" is based upon the author.
She is unusually perfect and more advanced, also befriends
or becomes romantically entangled with the author's favorite
character/characters from the series. Because she is more
superior than the other characters in the work, she mainly
becomes the focus of the fan-fiction, thus ruining whatever
the fan-fiction was about.

As stated above, the name of the character referred to as
the "Mary-Sue" does not matter.
Quote:
Mary-Sues are characters who are usually extraordinarily gorgeous, amazingly talented, unusually powerful, and exceedingly attractive to whoever the author has a crush on. They often possess ridiculously fancy and pretentious first names -- Angel, Raven, Jewel, Lorelei Bianca Julia Marizza Snape -- and are very, very annoying.
Quote:
An original character (fem.) in fanfic or an original story, usually on the internet, who is far superior to all other characters. She is typically beautiful, intelligent, kind, and in all other ways "perfect". She usually serves as an important part in a pivotal plot element (ie: a prophecy) and becomes romantically involved with the author's favourite character in the story. The internet fiction world runs rampant with these characters.

Example:
dracosluvur: My character's name is Alienne Raven Jewel Sassandra Moonflower Romance Shimmer Honeybeam, she came to Hogwarts after being separated from her family in the U.S. and sold into illegal slavery in Japan, she's fluent in both languages and is part Fae. She has snow-white skin, black hair and sparkling eyes that change colour. She's tall, thin and busty, she fills in as the Charms professor sometimes and doesn't really have a house because she's just that unsortable so she has her own luxury room in one of the towers. Almost the entire male population adores her, staff and students, and she gets perfect marks and it figures that she is the one who actually kills voldemort.

SatiricalBanshee: AGH!DUCK AND COVER! MARY-SUE!
Urban Dictionary: Mary-Sue

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Also, Bella Swan is a Mary Sue name; Bella means "beautiful".

New kids in town are very rarely feted in the way that Bella was; they are usually ignored. She's supposed to be a girl next door type, however every single other female character in the book is jealous of her, and boys fall at her feet. Her clumsiness does not affect her life in any great way, save for sometimes putting her in situations where she becomes a damsel in distress. She can be a total b*tch, yet her nastiness does not affect her in any negative way. Finally, it's pretty obvious that Bella is a self insert of Stephanie Meyer, placed in the story solely so that the author can live her fantasies about getting off with a vampire boy. -.-

(#24 (permalink))
Old
jordanashley (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.33 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Ohhh!! Ok! I never really new why people always called Bella that. Anyways, thanks for tell me what a mary-sue is.

EDIT: Oh! And I just thought of something else that I don't really understand why people say this. How is Bella and Edward's relationship "abusive"? They're only in love...that's what love is, isn't it? (Please keep in mind that I'm not like 16 or anything, either. I've also only read New Moon and Twilight.)

EDIT: Sorry for all the edits. I must be driving you people insane. Sorry. I just don't really get how some people can get away with putting Twilight down to an extent to when it offends fans, and not get in trouble, even though it's against the rules. I'm sorry if I'm offending any of you. I'm really trying not to be mean. I'm only trying to defend something that I love. =)

Last edited by jordanashley : 12-04-2008 at 08:27 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM

I was basically going to say what everyone else combined did, so there's your answer. And the books aren't written well and I can speak my mind if I don't like them. Freedom of speech.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:26 PM

Jordan, what Bella and Edward have is NOT love. It's at best infatuation, and at worst a seriously wrong relationship in which an abusive control freak uses emotional blackmail to manipulate his partner. A lot of abusive men say that they love their partners, despite either battering them senseless or controlling their every move. Edward is a stalker; the watching Bella sleep thing is seriously creepy. He threatens suicide to make her comply. He vandalises her car to stop her seeing her friends. If that's your idea of love, you really need to sort your head out. It's not my idea of a loving relationship, thanks very much.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM

Everyone, you are starting to hit dangerous territory again and I do not want to close this after only a day. If you are feeling aggravated or offended by either side, kindly step out of the discussion until you have calmed down.

Personally, I can understand the guilty pleasure thing and have read books that are terrible(claim they are fantasy, but that really is a thin veil to disguise the massive amounts of sex in it), but this is out of control. Also, the target age group for these books is inappropriate. No one in their early teens should be reading them because that is a vital time where they are supposed to be learning about healthy relationships. If these girls, and guys to an extent too, are coming up with the idea that the perfect man is controlling to protect "his woman", then we are about to see a serious rise in domestic abuse. Despite what anyone says, Edward shows all the classic signs of being an abuser. Just because he is not physically attacking Bella does not mean its not abuse. He controls her. Haven't any of you seen those Maury episodes about the abusive couples? The woman is always kept away from family and friends, is typically locked up, only has contact with her abuser or people approved by the abuser, and has little to no free will. Nor is it love because Bella went into a depression fit when he left. Abuse victims typically feel an emotional connection with their abuser and actually feel guilty about leaving them. Most return back to them, some end up dead.

I'm sorry if I seem like I am coming off strongly, but I feel like you guys need to understand that this relationship isn't healthy. At least if you are going to enjoy these books, keep that information in the back of your heads.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#28 (permalink))
Old
jordanashley (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.33 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM

I guess you're sort of right about that. I just disagree with some parts. But I guess I better leave. I get pretty worked up about things like this. I don't wanna start a big fight and get the thread closed.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Aihana_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 22 Votes / 4.45 Average
Send a message via AIM to Aihana_ Send a message via MSN to Aihana_
Default 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Edward was trying to proctect her. There were other vampires out there trying to kill her, I don't see how keeping her in his sight for the time being is abusive.

(#30 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 12-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Agreed with Kitty and Miranda. Their relationship isn't physically abusive, but mentally and emotionally. Look it up and see for yourself. Meyer hides this by saying that it's just love, but it isn't. Seriously. Look Abusive Relationships up. You'll find out what a real abusive relationship is. Some people only seem to think physical, but that's not it. Edward isn't trying to kill Bella, no, but he's still abusing her.

And we're just stating why we don't like Twilight. We never said anything completely agressive against the people, but the book.