Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

The Doll Palace Life Site updates, coming soon, interesting facts, new polls and contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#41 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 11-11-2009, 06:49 PM

The only thing I'd be worried about losing are the link threads. You know, the sites to go to for bases, pallettes, dollmakers etc. I use those ALL the time.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#42 (permalink))
Old
SillyRainbowKid (Offline)

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Won't we still be able to come back here and see the links?I mean it's not like th Forum goes down w/ the site right?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM

Sadly, since the forums are on the server, they probably will. Hence why it's so important to establish a back up board.

Lancaster; we will be transferring important threads to the new forums so we will not lose the bases, dollmakers or pallette links. We are currently in the process of getting the important threads transferred over.

(#44 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 11-11-2009, 07:19 PM

We are actually working on transferring things right now Its going pretty fast since Miranda discovered a nifty trick with the copying and pasting. Of course, it'll still take ages to transfer all the RPs, but everything else should be finished quickly.

SRK, I don't believe the forums would continue to exist should the site go down. You see, we used to be on a different host than TDP(some semi-free board, can't remember what), however awhile ago we were updated and are now hosted on TDP. Since we are hosted as a part of TDP, if the mainsite goes, we will go, making all links unavailable.

Delaney, are you discussing a guild as well? If so, I'm declaring sister guilds immediatey xD If a dollmaker, like an actual one, I am working on it. I need to look into what it takes to code one, then hosting it since it can't be straight out on the forums. Well, it could, but I don't want to deal with the mess.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 11-11-2009, 07:58 PM

I think that there should be two sister guilds; the dollmaker one and the handrawn maker one, so that people can be more informed about what TDP is mainly about.

(#46 (permalink))
Old
prin367cess (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Default 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM

I think a dollmaker guild along with a handdrawn one would be a good idea. There are many users on here who do little to no handdrawing, but make some exceptional dolls on the makers. Hosting an actual maker would be hard, i'm sure, but having the guild would be nice so people who prefer using makers aren't feeling left out or shorthanded. And having a coalition of sorts might help us to recruit new members.

av&sig: LancasterPrincess
http://purple-hippie.blogspot.com
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Moon_Crescent (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Default 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM

Ah, the art of copying and pasting-I saw that post on randomness. I'd actually play if someone made another RP. The others are so long. So yea, back-up-boards are a good idea. So has...er...support been notified? Also, wait..man I'm gonna have to sign up again. And my beloved title..Shuni...gone! Ah well.

My DeviantArt

MoonCrescent
(#48 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 11-11-2009, 10:44 PM

I don't know what a guild is, but whatever it is there should be a hand drawn and a dollmaker one. That's one of the issue's I was discussing earlier: alienation (for lack of a much better word, sorry!). A lot of members on this site, as Prin367cess said, are mainly Dollmaker-Dollers. There's really only a handful of Hand Drawn-Dollers. I'm not saying that it's done purposefully, so please don't take it that way, but since the Hand Drawn-Dollers 'rule' the forums through Modship and networks of friends the Dollmaker-dollers feel out of place, thus don't like to invovle themselves. There might also be an Animators guild because there's a huge difference to Dollmaker-Dollers with their glitter and Animators who use Dollmakers before going into animation...or maybe glitter-Dollmaker-Dollers should be in the animator group? I don't know that's in the air, lol. Either way Dollmakers, Animation and Glitter are a big part of the Dolling world and should be included as well.

There's more than 1 or 2 Dolling passions. Everyone should be included to feel included, which, in my opinion, would get us more regular and more devoted members.

Just a thought.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Do you have any idea about how much it costs to form a guild? It's about 1000g, which may not sound like much, but I really was only thinking of one, not half a dozen. -.- I'd be more likely to call it a Dolling Guild, and have different sections, rather than start loads. I do need my gold for other things, like my aquarium, so I can't really spare tons of gold.

Also, it's a bit unfair to suggest that the mods rule the Handdrawn area. In case you forgot, there are quite a few people who were not mods when handdrawing became popular, plus it's not as tho it's barred from use. Also, practically the whole site is devoted to dollmaker dolls. To be frank, it doesn't take as much talent to put together a dollmaker doll, unless you draw your own props, and practically the whole site is devoted to them so they're hardly not noticed. So that statement really isn't very fair.

Moon_Crescent, if you want to start an RP, feel free. Just make sure you a) read the stickies and abide by them, b) have a core group of people already who will join and b) don't make a Mary Sue or a copy. If you send me an idea, I can help you with it.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 11-12-2009 at 08:04 AM.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM

Out of all the dolling forums I've seen, this one is by far the most friendly to dollmaker dolls. Now I'll admit that I haven't seen all that many, but The Gathering, one of the biggest dolling forums, doesn't even have a section for dollmakers. IIRC Eden Enchanted didn't have one either, and it was even more popular than TG before it shut down. And neither do any of the others I've been to.

You do make a good point, though, in that most of the mods are handdrawn dollers. I think it's kind of a cyclical problem; the lack of mod involvement with dollmakers discourages dollmaker dollers from posting, but dollmaker dollers aren't chosen to be mods because they tend to be inactive.
However, the only solution to this is for the dollmaker users to simply start posting more, because you honestly can't expect mods to give up handdrawing and devote themselves to dollmakers just to make some members feel more comfortable. Also note that not all mods were handdrawn dollers at the time they were promoted. I'm pretty sure Miranda wasn't, and possibly Silver_Wolf_Kitty as well.