Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

The Doll Palace Life Site updates, coming soon, interesting facts, new polls and contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 12:23 AM

Your welcome, SRK I just realized we're one letter off with our initials. You better watch it or I just might have to engulf your account to prevent confusion

Look, I'm going to drag something up that I know has been rather hush hush on the site even though it was national news awhile ago.

TDP was successfully sued by the government for failing to meet COPPA requirements and is required to pay restitution and go over content every year. I read the case online and it was a pretty big deal since TDP was the first site ever to go down for it. After researching it a bit, the decline in content coincides with this case. Lancaster, you should remember the deletion of all members under 13. This is what that had to do with.

I've seen the decline of many sites. Many of the dolling sites I first used as a doller are now gone or dead, kept alive only by a free host or TDP giving them free space. Since it has been over a year(approaching two now) since an update, the site will most likely either remain dead for a very long time, resulting in the gradual loss of members, or it will shut down. I'm inclined to believe the latter. For example, notice that the articles put out by JeZz are always a few days, sometimes a week late. They used to be on time. Reports aren't responded to, dirty content isn't removed, the gradual move to the new layout has stopped. I don't even think dollers are being hired out to make content anymore. I've had my feelers out in the community through deviantart and the common artists asked before aren't doing TDP commissions anymore. In fact, I haven't seen any commissions in ages. It suggests a lack of effort or desire to continue. Its natural for every site to reach this stage since fads some and go, but this is an extreme version of it.

I don't want to scare anyone, I just think its time for the facts to be out there, especially since I've kept silent for so long to protect the site I've loved and grown up with. I don't want to see the TDP community scattered to the winds if a shut down happens. I want us to stick together, especially since we've been together for so long. I don't think the site will be handed off, though you never know.

I don't want anyone to panic, I can't repeat this enough. I do not have any certain information other than what I've gathered online and my experiences and much of the above is speculation based on what I do know. I do not know for certain if a shut down will happen or if tomorrow suddenly everything will be alright. I just want to be safe and continue to protect the users I've watched for so many years.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM

I agree with Kitty. I will give an example of a site doing likewise, thru my own experience.

I once belonged to a Kiss fan forum, where the owner was involved with the forum and often appeared on it. Everything was fine until one day, the owner stopped coming on forums. After that, there was a sharp decline in news on the mainsite, ads started appearing on forums indicating that the owner had stopped paying for it and there was a sharp decline in members, as they left for other places. I and a core few clung to the site, hoping that something would happen to make it go back to normal, but eventually, it closed down. We were left to find other places to go and talk about Kiss and other issues.

At first, we all migrated to the official Kiss site forums, but these were too strictly run and disallowed any criticism of the band, as well as banning members at the drop of a hat, sometimes even for such trivial things as disagreeing with a mod over a forum issue. So, to fix that problem, several people made new sites. Out of those new forums, a few splinter groups formed. Now, there is just one of the new forums remaining, along with three splinter groups. That is why I believe it's important to have a new forum running alongside, so to speak, TDP. Not as a replacement, but as a backup and a companion board so there won't be a huge shock. I'm certainly not leaving; just as before, I will cling to TDP for as long as I have to.

Now, about debates; I'm fine with people expressing opinions just as long as there's no personal attacks and flames going on. For example, with subjects like abortion, capital punishment, religion etc. In the past, there was a tendency to flame other people in order to try and get your point accross, as well as a refusal to read the rest of the thread and just dump in your opinion in the end. If these problems can be overcome, then hopefully we can encourage a few more debates. I belong to a debate forum where tempers fly high, but generally people manage to argue a point without resorting to personal attacks.

Finally, about members; it would help a great deal if people could bring their friends here. Never mind about the mainsite for now; we can't control any of the content or fix any problems, but what we do have is a great forum. I know the rules may seem strict, but honestly, if you just behave yourself and use common sense, I probably won't ever speak to you. XD A few minor warnings at the beginning, if someone is unsure about forums, are not going to be held against you and after a couple of weeks, can be wiped from your profile in any case. We're going to try to do some new forum events over Christmas, but it would be great if all of you could make an effort to get a few newbies here and posting.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM

(The only problem with bringing my friends in is that most of them don't really go on forums so I don't really like to explain it a lot. >>)

I like the idea for fan threads, and critique threads, though. It really is nice to see people getting a long and not hating people because of what they like or dislike. The idea for fan threads and rant threads is good, imo, because loving something actually brings you together. I go on a Lady Gaga fan site, and I've met some really nice friends on there. I think that it would break up cliques and would stop people from sterotyping people.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM

I'll consider lifting the fan/hate thread rules further. I expect by now that everyone will be much more sane than in the past when these rules were started. If I see group fighting though(as in the haters against the fans, like it used to be), I'll be beating some ***** into the ground.

I'm being naughty and am basically using this post to encourage people to put in more feedback. With the response towards a companion board, I've been working hard once again to finish the one that was started and to make its introduction smooth for all.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Online)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM

My only problem with fan-threads is that I don't see how it'll help debates. Unless we have a Fan, Debate, and Anti threads for every topic, why would the fans bother debating with the anti's at all? I do understand the making friends bit, don't get me wrong, and I also understand the idea of gaining confidence over a topic, but I'm not sure if it'll help discussion...

We'll see. I'm sure it'll all work out. :P
(#16 (permalink))
Old
xXGrimReaperXx (Offline)

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 6 Votes / 3.67 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Just dropping in and I'd like to add on to the feedback that maybe there can be a new kind of chat on the site.Alot of people (i would think) would be ok with a new chat because it would be different and I can count alot of people who'd like to go on there,may-b.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Moon_Crescent (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM

*Raises Hand* Hey, I'm kinda a regular member. Anyway my friend was on here when she was in...oh...5th grade, and she came on a few weeks ago. And she said, "Oh, no. This is not TDP. TDP used to have so many people and you wouldn't see just 10 people on at a time and.." she went on and on. Anyway- Kitty
WHAT? CLOSING DOWN TDP? I will literally scream if they close it down. From my POV, TDP is a well-run hardworking site, and I've only been here for a month or so. I'd hate losing a great site I come on to, literally.

Also, my feedback is that...Wow. That's it. Wow. The mods and admins are nice but firm, and the posts everyone makes are very entertaining to read. This isn't just a chatroom. TDP is a place to be creative, and talk at the same time.

Edit: I've never seen or heard support, but if she does come back...I hope she finds the site that she's known and loved. With the mods doing a great job and the spammers and trolls under control.

My DeviantArt

MoonCrescent
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks very much for your kind words; it makes our day, honestly, to hear praise rather than abuse. We do try to work hard to make this forum enjoyable for all, and we are planning a couple of ideas for Christmas for you all to have fun with.

As for chat; maybe give a link to an outside chatroom? A site I go on has that; it means that it's easier to moderate as you can assign chatroom mods so if anyone was breaking rules, ie cy'bering or bullying, they could be chucked out.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Hayley, that's partially my concern too. I'll see how the test run goes with the lifted rules under Music. Its the only board that had it to begin with since I got sick of the fighting between the two groups, but I once more am hoping everyone can put big girl panties on and not fight so **** much.

Grim, I'm looking into things like that with a rescue board. I understand its been a huge problem mainsite and it certainly wouldn't hurt(the other board I'm a big member on has successful forums as well as a chat system running, so its certainly possible). My number one concern with it is moderation of a chat system, which is something I've always thought is a problem on the mainsite(and possibly why the chats get disabled to often here).

Moon, I actually recognize the reaction your friend had since I have it everyday. If you go to the board stats and see our record number of members online at once, you get an idea of how big this site was. As a newer member, you haven't been exposed to this downhill slope yet, but you'll see it in time. It goes hand in hand with staying, sadly.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
xXGrimReaperXx (Offline)

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 6 Votes / 3.67 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 07:30 PM

I absolutely love the Forums and I'd hate to see it go.I get one here almost every day because I'm ADDICTED to it.It's the best forum I've ever,and will,go on and if this site leaves,I'll be so sad and lonely and go back to playing those Flash Dress Up games.Blech...