Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

The Doll Palace Life Site updates, coming soon, interesting facts, new polls and contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default Posting Images in Profile Comments - 04-02-2009, 12:34 PM

Please refrain from posting large images or long links in other people's profile comments. I've noticed that sometimes people are getting in trouble due to their friends posting long links or images on their profile. Sometimes this causes stretching of the profile to occur, making people have to scroll horizontally to see your profile. This will result in a warning.

For example:

Bad: "Look here! These are the longest links eva!1!! http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=longest+link+ever&btnG=Google+Searc h&meta=&aq=0&oq=longest+link" - these links will NOT break up when they're inside a profile comment, and will cause stretching.

Good: "Look what I found on google! [click]"

Some people don't know how to make hyperlinks (make a word into a link), but it isn't that difficult. Highlight the word you wish to make into a link and then click this button - - and then copy the url of the link into that box. This will give you a clean link. ^_^ Alternately, to get rid of the link (if it is the wrong link or something), use this button -

As for images, keep it simple. Instead of posting a huge image saying, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATE!" or whatever the image says, find something smaller or link to the larger image and say, "I made you this for your birthday." People will appreciate this just as much. If you are going to make an image, maybe make it avatar size or signature size (see here) so they can use it on the forums. =)

-----

I should also remind you of profile stretching in general. Like I said, this will result in a warning. Try not to post any pictures/text within your profile that will cause any stretching. I understand if it goes off the page just a little bit, but some people are going a bit too far. Keep things under control, and monitor your profile often, and make sure that nothing is causing it to stretch. I'm tired of seeing how many people are breaking this rule when it's not all that hard to abide to. Nobody wants profile warnings, so try to avoid it by not stretching your profile, or other people's. Thank you. ^_^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM

You can also make a hyperlink by typing this, obviously without the stars:

[*url=http://www.google.com*]Linkie[*/url]

You'll get something like this: Linkie

I will also say that anyone who ignores a comment warning telling them to fix their profile to stop it stretching will end up having their profile wiped completely. You don't want to have to put everything back, do you? Best thing is ensure that it doesn't happen by abiding by this rule.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 04-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Just to tack on, I would like to ask that no one loads their profiles with tons of graphics, particularly animated ones. I've seen profiles where people have just had rows of animated icons and it actually slowed my computer down massively, which is a shock since mine runs fairly well. I hate to think of the poor dial-up users who got caught in those traps, so please use graphics tastefully rather than having twenty bajillion up.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM

If you want to have loads of graphics, instead link to a photobucket album.