Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#61 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-15-2014, 03:55 AM

La la-la la-la

I am choosing not to wait long periods between posts since I've been on a dolling kick this summer (probably making up for lack of any activity during the school year) since I have the time for it cause I'm never scheduled at work *le sigh*

Anyway, currently working on doll for Miranda's Applejack contest (and I promise I will eventual make a Sue since I'm the one who asked for the pageant to start up again xD), but though, hey, why not make simple versions of all of the Mane Six as they come up since I already did Fluttershy? (I might try to edit Pinkie out of my old doll, or just make a new one *shrugs*)

Sooo...I saved my AJ doll mid-doll to make a fancy stand-alone (I have a feeling I'll be doing this more often; who knows, I might even decide to let other people use them as avatars or whatever, but we'll see):

However, I am still in the process of making my actual entry (the frame is giving me issues cause I'm fancyin' it up, and I have empty space I need to fill up with text but I'm not sure what yet). I just really wanted to post this cause I was thinking about composition and whatnot.

Head from Lovie's maker, edited by me (those freckles were/are THE WORST and I'm still not sure they look right). Outfit and props from styledollz, also edited by me. Text is "Apple Chancery Medium".

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#62 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 07-17-2014, 02:23 PM

My actual entry for Miranda's Applejack contest in the contests section:

Head and frame(s) from Lovie's maker, edited by me. Outfit and props from styledollz, also edited by me. Background from this maker: Style Dollz Horse Lover Dollmaker
Text is (still) "Apple Chancery Medium".

Ended up taking two of Rachel's frames and combining them to get what you see here, plus embellishing them with the apple props (one of which was just a copy/paste from the lone apple by the bucket near her feet). I am surprisingly quite happy with this doll, though I did struggle with a bit of dollblock at first. But I think it all came together very well.

Also I finally realized that when you turn off anti-alias in text, you can create an outline of a different color by duplicating and moving layers one pixel-width at a time

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#63 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM

Dollmakers used: this one for outfit (resizied) and background, Options for frame and props, TDP Princess Maker for crown, Styledollz.com for head, plus my own edits for tattoos and body/face shading.

Name: Ember Serena Mysterria Chan

Fandom: Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra (since she is immortal, she exists in both series!)

Appearence: Ember Serena is exceptionally tall, and she is Princess of the Air Nation, so she has airbending master tattoos and always wear a crown. She has many to choose from, but often she picks a fancy golden one that complement her stark raven hair, which is as rich as the earth and as flowy as a rushing wind and as mysterious as the dark side of the moon. Her skin is milky pale and her eyes are a wise slate gray that sparkle with flecks of silver. Ember Serena always wears the most fashionable clothing, usually with an airbender vibe, though she has been known to dress up in the styles of the three other nations. No style of clothing looks bad on her; she could even make Boiling Rock prison rags look like the epitome of high-end fashion. She is slim and trim but well endowed as well: thin as a rail but curvy as an hourglass. Her figure is envied by the royals and prominent political powers of all of the nations.

Personality: Ember Serena is a wise but just ruler. Every decision she makes is unanimously agreed to be the best, wisest decision any could make. She is smart and clever and astute and benevolent. She loves to learn and she picks skills up exceptionally quickly. She even taught herself metal-bending before Toph circled the world teaching it! Ember Serena is no pushover. She won't let anyone stand in her way, but she is never mean or rude or deceitful. She has the most honor out of anyone in any nation.

Powers/Skills: Ember Serena Mysterria Chan is the only person besides the Avatar who can master all of the elements. Not only is she Princess of the Air Nation, she also is a master of earth bending, metal bending, water bending, blood bending, fire bending, and lightning bending. Because of all of the power she has, she cannot die or visibly age, so she possess the powers of eternal life, youth, and beauty, as well. She can crossover into the spirit world without using the spirit portals at the north and south poles and still take all of her bending with her because she is 3/4 spirit and 1/4 beautiful, lustrous human. The Avatar is only half spirit and half regular human who may or may not posses good looks. As stated in her personality, she has the special talent of learning any difficult task to the point of mastery in a very short amount of time, and she doesn't need to practice any of them too much because once she has mastered them, she has mastered them permanently and her skills will never ever slip up. Also she is a Truth Seer and can tell if anyone is lying, and she has combustion powers but doesn't need the third eye marking since she is an Air Princess and already has tattoos there. And she can freely cut or grow her hair to whatever length she want without it changing because she is immortal and youthful (she prefers to keep it long though, but not too long). However, she prefers to just airbend when she is in any of the air temples because she is respectful of her royal heritage.

Bio:Ember Serena Mysterria Chan was created as a pure spirit back when the world was made. She befriended all of the other spirits and Lion Turtles and other strange creatures. She existed as a spirit before the Age of the Avatar, even. But one day, tragedy struck! Some of the spirits she had been playing with suddenly turned evil and dark because there were nasty humans nearby. The humans saw how beautiful and ethereal Serena was and decided to capture her. Unfortunately for them, they were only able to snatch a quarter of her spirit. Her tormented, torn apart form went searching for a replacement because she would die without that extra strength. Even though she suffered greatly and had been severely wounded, she maintained her mysterious beauty. She wandered like this for many centuries, surviving every Harmonic Convergence since the beginning of time. When the Age of the Avatar arose, Ember Serena came across a Lion Turtle city full of people bending air. There, she found what she had been searching for for so long. In this city was a human woman whose beauty matched her own but did not overpower it (there was no human or spirit in either of the two worlds that could), someone who would willingly join her own spirit with that of Ember Serena's. The woman had already had a daughter who would turn out to be one of the ancestors of Avatar Aang. By conjoining their spirits with a secret power only Ember Serena knew, she effectively became one of his ancestors as well. Probably a great-great-great-great-great-great-etc.-etc. grandmother or something. She knew the exact answer, of course, but she didn't really care to share it since it wasn't important; all that mattered was she was related to that Avatar. Multiple avatars, in fact. Nearly all of them actually because she and the Light Spirit Rava are half sisters, but she has better control of her spiritual energy than Rava does. Because the woman whose spirit she joined with was a high-up in her city, she ended up being crowned Air Nomad National Princess. She oversaw the building of all four of the Air Temples: the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western. She even found herds of endangered sky bison and trained them so that every airbender could have one. Eventually, she helped establish the other nations, too, and in gratitude, they taught her all of the bending styles they knew, always informing her first whenever a new style was discovered. Men fawned over her and women were only too glad to help her in any way they could, for she acted like a kind mother to all of them. Even evil spirits were no match for her; Koh, the face stealer, tried to take her face when he saw how beautiful her smile was, but decided against it because her face was just too beautiful to keep to himself; he knew it must be shared with all of the world forevermore. Ember Serena Mysterria Chan overcame her tragic origins to become the most loved and revered and respected person in that entire universe. She even helped train some of the avatars! But she never let this get to her head. She always remembered where she came from and that kept her humble and therefore power was never able to corrupt her so she ended up gaining all of the power in the world. In fact, she was the one who managed to get Fire Prince Zuko to realize that he had to teach Avatar Aang firebending, and she was the one who gifted Aang's granddaughter Jinora with all of her spiritual connections.

Last edited by belladoggy : 07-25-2014 at 10:28 PM.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
eros (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Libra
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Frozen-I haven't joined the craze, but I know Queen Elsa when I see her! XD That dress and frame are perfect by the way.
Indian Princess-I don't know about you, but I like 'building the scene' contests. It's surprising what you can create! Speaking of which, you did great showing off the Indian princess lifestyle with all the props.
Fluttershy-Sometimes you gotta just make a simple doll. This one is really cute and the animation is smooth. AND OH MY GOSH THAT BUNNY IS SUPER ADORABLE!!! *faints from cuteness overload*
Ice Skating-This doll is pretty cool! Literally. But puns aside, the animation is super neat. Also, along with the Fluttershy doll, the shading of the skin makes the doll look a ton better!
Applejack-I know I already commented about this on DA, but the finished product is amazing! I love how you combined two frames (I might have to try that!) and the background is perfect!
Mary Sue-I'm going to get sick of all the perfection! XD The Avatar fandom was a smart way to go considering all you have to say is "is the only only one besides the Avatar" and it's a Mary Sue! The doll is nice, but I think the frame may of gotten cut off by a pixel at the bottom.

I can't wait to see more!

(#65 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM

Thanks, Rachel! Haha I don't know what it is with me and Sues, but whenever I make one intentionally bad (such as for this pageant ), my first thought is, Destroy ALL the canon! xD Probably because that is what would annoy me most if I came across any Sue in a fan fiction; even derivative works that have established, canon characters acting in a way contrary to their nature drive me mad. Good fan-fiction matches up with canon and keeps everyone in character. Even though I love the Kataang family in Korra, I will always be a bit of a Zutarian at heart, and I read a really great (though a bit mature) piece of fanfiction that matched up entirely with the events that happened in Sozin's Comet and still managed to find a plausible way for Katara and Zuko to get together and I loved how the characters actually stayed in character and how true to canon it was while still being set in an AU.

I think you are right about the frame; I probably should have duplicated the "edge" layer one more time to account for that pesky pixel at the bottom.

I do love "build the scene" dolls, or specific prop contests, anything that lets me find unique twists and really leave my signature mark on a doll. It's fun creating things from semi-scratch (I'd compare it to baking your own cake, but still using store bought cake mix: yes, the basic ingredients are provided to you, but you can jazz it all up with your own decisions regarding flavor and presentation).

Yay, the skin shading worked! That makes me really happy since I was kind of blindly going at it xD I snickered at your little ice pun. Then I rolled my eye

Combining frames is a great way to reuse old frames without making it super obvious...I know I have a few frames that I tend to favor over the others, and I'm not very fond of falling into a repetitive rut. I also didn't want to seem like I was copying your doll, but I really liked the way the squareness of the frame you used cut the scene; it just fit with my general idea of the character. Plus, after seeing your enthusiasm for the frame edit on my Frankie doll, I thought it would be fun to add props into the mix again haha

I'm glad you recognize my Elsa doll! That's always my biggest concern when drawing or dolling characters: will people know who this is supposed to be? You should at least give the movie one watch through if you haven't yet, but I do understand being a bit sick of the over-hype. I love the Honest Trailer; I might post it in the videos section!

And since I'm remembering to respond to stuff now....

Desert Flower: Thank you! Though this is kind of what I mean when I refer to my preferred frames...I like it so much that I might have to retire it xD

Giant Beauty: I'm glad this doll had an element like that to hold it together. I agree with you about the outline color; that probably would have vastly improved this doll. Part of what made yours stand out was the beautiful skintone you chose and how defined it was (as opposed to this which looks comparatively "mushy" if that makes sense)

Woodland Magic: PLEASE DO MAKE CIRCULAR FRAMES! Haha I'm running out; it's basically that one and the ice skating one...but I love circular frames, the are just so unique compared to the usual rectangular shape (which I obviously also like, but different dolls call for different things, and there is what I declare to be a circular frame shortage )

Secret Stash: Thanks! That's precisely why I opened my shop: to share the joy of glittery dolls (you wouldn't believe how many people I came across in AviChat who had never seen glittered dolls, not did they have a clue how to do it...but I suppose we were all there once, weren't we?) and to practice those kinds of animations. Happy to see that the practice is paying off haha

Trick or Treat: I admit that when I first saw your comment on this I wasn't really sure what you meant (clearly my eyes have been opened since then xD) since I had heavily edited her face, including a nose job and some blush. But looking back, another highlight or shadow color would really have helped that doll. And as I said, I'm not a fan of being boring and repeating myself unless I'm feeling reeaaaaaallly lazy lol

Frankie Stein: Haha I did in fact know that the monster was just "The Monster"; we read the book in my sophomore year english class in high school.

CROWN JEWEL!: Huzzah for blending! Of course, I had very high quality ingredients to work with haha. That cave wall already existed in Lovie's maker, and the pine trees did come from another (premade) background in one of the makers; I just mixed them together in a way that worked. Looking at her now, I wish I would have done A LOT more skin shading; she looks so 2D next to the rest of the images, let alone the dress which I tooled myself! I don't know if I ever will spend that much time animating a doll again haha. But one never knows...

(#66 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-14-2014, 12:43 AM

This will be my WIP space for my second round Sue so that it's easily accessible and so I can write ideas down as they come xD

Drabble: Of course, Ember Serena Mysterria Chan no longer has any rivals to speak of; her motherly benevolence, beauty, majesty, grace, youth, and bending mastery make it impossible for anyone to even consider themselves equal enough to ever even consider being her rival. Not that anyone would be jealous of her anyway; her spirit calms those whose hearts are full of hatred and darkness merely by being in their presence. But this was not always the case. Long ago, even long before the Fire Nation attacked, Ember Serena saw everything change. For when she first merged with that beautiful human woman, she had not yet met some of the most vile spirits on either side of the spirit portals. Her biggest trial awaited her. It would be a very serious trial. A trial to end all trials. No trial would ever try another human or spirit or soul more than what was about to try Ember Serena Mysterria Chan. But before we come to that fateful time, we must start at her New Beginning.

(#67 (permalink))
Old
Obscene_Fetish (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Talking 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM

I love your work, Bella Doggy!

Weird, I have been a member of The Doll Palace since 2003... and it says that I just now joined in May...

Last edited by Miranda_ : 08-14-2014 at 11:32 AM.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscene_Fetish View Post

Weird, I have been a member of The Doll Palace since 2003... and it says that I just now joined in May...
That refers to the first time you posted on forums, not your actual join date. The date I first posted on forums is long before 2004, but since I was posting as an unreg back then, it's not recorded.

(#69 (permalink))
Old
Obscene_Fetish (Offline)
Silent

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Default 08-14-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda_ View Post
That refers to the first time you posted on forums, not your actual join date. The date I first posted on forums is long before 2004, but since I was posting as an unreg back then, it's not recorded.
OOOhhh... Ok.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Thank you! Yours is really cool too as I've said (you really, really should make a thread for yourself )

New doll! For Donette's birthstone contest.

Dollmakers used include Options, Purrrfection, most likely Doll Gear, my own club head/drawn in diadem and earrings, and this stock. Another case of never used background finally having a use! Font is Neverwinter.

Last edited by belladoggy : 08-16-2014 at 04:43 PM.