Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#41 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM

Hmm, you're right. Perhaps I could have added some duplicate flames to slow it down a bit Thank you! I had fun making them.

And now, my entry for the mythology contest in the forums: Phew, done! Ended up not doing Celtic simply because I couldn't find good physical descriptions of the goddess I wanted to doll. So, Polynesian myth instead! I dolled the volcano goddess Pele, notorious for having a temper and causing violent eruptions:

Dollmakers used: The_Contestants prop drop, .什 Options 陘., styledollz.info, and this stock for the volcano itself.

I wasn't sure how to get lava since I couldn't find a lava prop, so I ended up using all of the fire props from Lovie's maker and fudging them into a lava-esque position, then changing the color. I also enjoyed adding the back flames. I edited the skintone and face, giving her a wider nose and a scowl (yes, the wider nose was on purpose, as she is not an Anglican goddess). I had considered coloring her entirely to be flame, but I think that would have been far too overwhelming. The frame was a little difficult simply because it blocks a large about of space, but I thought it fit perfectly with the flaming, erupting volcano motif

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#42 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM

She does look like a fire Goddess. Perhaps for lava you could have used water props that were red/molten?

In any case I love the doll. It's very nicely put together. Only thing that bugs me is her nose, but then I guess not everyone has cute little noses, lol.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#43 (permalink))
Old
MsShino (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: Not Rated
Default 09-28-2012, 07:27 PM

Just a quick stop by. *busybusybusy*

I really like her. Like Lovie said you could use water to make the lava and if you couldn't find any that was red you could re-color it.

Anyhoo I'll be announcing the winner soon. Well as soon as I can make a decision O_o Oi this is not an easy choice.

MsShino Says:
Color makes me happy!
Sig & AV by Lovie
(#44 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 11-30-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks, both of you! You're right, water recolored red would have been best. Next time!

So since everyone else is posting new dolls, and I haven't posted any in months but I just made like 4 or 5 of them, dollie dump time! (This may take up a few posts due to image limits and whatnot)

First, club contest entry from the last contest, where the theme was Halloween Movies, and I was given Scooby Doo with Miranda. I was using my longer hair head, which I should probably go update in the Talks section, so I did myself as Daphne and Miranda as Velma because of hair length, lol. This one was truly a pain in the but because it was really the first doll I put together using the new GIMP on my updated OS, so it took some figuring out, and it kept not saving. It was late and I feel very sorry about that; I just couldn't get it to behave properly. Anyway.

I'm actually really proud of one part, and that is Miranda's sweater since I drew it from scratch. I also changed what was an entirely pink outfit into what you see me wearing, and did some minot editing on Miranda's socks and skirt.

Makers used: Styledollz.info, .什 Options 陘., TDP )unique or prep maker, can't remember exactly), The_Contestants prop drop, and myself.

PHEW, what a mouthful! Onwards to the next doll!

Myself for the last banner of the club; super proud of this one because I handdrew the dress using the resize/overlay technique Lovie and Tink told me about. I believe the crown is from Lovie or Ness's maker. Thought I'd share it here too since i really am proud of her. Face edits too, to make myself look like and "evil" queen.

Next, for the first round of Alsie's "Color Your World" contest, where the color was ORANGE, I made this little darling:

FINALLY was able to use that outfit, huzzah! I've loved it ever since I saw it but it never really fit in any other dolls before. But with it being an orange theme, and pumpkins being orange, I thought it was the perfect opportunity, lol.
Makers used: Purrrrfection, .什 Options 陘., Styledollz.info

Zu n踄hsten! For Lovie's "Prop Challenge", I made this:

I love this doll. It's another one of those outfits I'd always wanted to use (it screamed Cruella de Vil to me; I think there is a version with a black and white skirt out there), and the prop looked just like swirling smoke. To be honest, I almost liked this one better when it was just her surrounded by the dogs, sans the background, but I think this frame really ties it all together. I drew in her cigarette and changed her hair color. Also, the frame was really boring with just one color, so I went crazy with the red and white, going for a drizzle icing effect haha.
Makers used: .什 Options 陘., Styledollz.info

(#45 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM

But wait, there's more! (lol, I warned it was a dump, right?)

For whoever was doing a "Blondes in White" contest a few weeks back, I instantly thought "Marilyn Monroe!" To be completely honest, this one is probably the least favorite of all of my dolls because it is the most boring. I dulled down the background to give it a "noir" feel, but there's really not a lot going on here.

Makers used: Dazzling Divas, .什 Options 陘., Styledollz.info (for the background, I think), and I don't recall exactly where I found the dress since I'm pretty sure I've seen it in multiple places.

Now the more recent stuff! For Lovie's Elven Beauties Rd 1, my river elf:

Makers used: Styledollz.info, .什 Options 陘.
I drew in her elf ears and redid her makeup and nail polish. I also recolored the purple water to blue. This isn't the original version of the doll, as that was lost when my computer unexpectedly quit (HATE it when it does that) before I saved, so the spacing is a little off; I definitely liked my original spacing better. I think I cropped the background differently then. Anyway, instead of using my usual RGB noise on the frame, I went back to glitter tiles to get the "flowing water" effect. Overall I like her, but I think I could have done, and was doing, better. I did deliberately pick a background with a castle cause she's a princess, lol.

Next, for Miranda's "Make This Doll" contest:

I actually love this doll, too; I had a chance to use a frame that usually cuts out way to much of what i have going on. I tried to match it as closely to the image as possible while still making it unique and giving it my own flair. Honestly, it could probably work for the windblown contest too, but I want to make something else for that. I recolored what was originally a wedding dress and used the burn tool (to try and make it look blackened), but it ended up drawing my attention to the brocade design, and I think Ness was responsible for this dress, so kudos to her!

Makers used: Styledollz.info, .什 Options 陘., Purrrrfection

Lastly (that I've finished, lol), a doll for Miranda's "Let It Snow" contest:

Honestly, I just did this for the background and dress. everyone else seemed to be doing red, but green works really well too, lol. I've had this background saved to my computer for years but i've never been able to use it. I ended up going for a "snow globe"-y effect, but I'm terrible at animating falling snow, lol. The online programs messed with the transparency, so I drew it in using the brush tool at a litter under 3 pixels wide. (it was size one scaled to 2.7 or so). Anyone else remember this trusty old frame made by Chessie? It felt nice to drag it out again, haha.

Makers used: Styledollz.info, I want to say Doll Gear? (had it for years; don't remember the exact personal maker it came from, but that it came from one of them), and of course Chessie for the frame. I wonder where she's been...

(SIDE NOTE: Okay, I had this doll saved to my comp as "Let It Snow.gif" with no spaced. So it uploads to Photobucket that way. Well, the link got messed up because TDP though I was mentioning anatomy due to the word "it" and the last letter of "let". Really, TDP? You're censoring the middle of a link? smh.)

Anyway, I believe that's all. For now, lol. I am working on a Miss Venus doll, but her headpiece is giving me a headache. Oh well, she's almost done.

Last edited by belladoggy : 11-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 11-30-2012, 12:55 PM

Scooby: I really liked your Daphne outfit! I thought it was perfect!, and the way you recolored your hair is great too. I think my favorite part is the dewy grass, love the choice to glitter that. I'm not too fond of the lime green, but then Scooby Doo did like to use it, so I understand why it was used.

Evil Queen: You did really great on drawing the dress using that technique. I would love to see your reference pic to give you real CC though. The eyebrows definately looked angry, but I'd have liked to have seen the typical eyebrow color rather than just a black line. You can make it look angry without it looking painted.

Pumpkin: I really like how this doll came out. Very well blended color wise. The hair style bugs me (but the color is fine) , but that's more IMO, not CC.

Cruella: I really liked your use of the prop. Well done! I'll have to do another prop challenge, that was definately fun. I always love seeing props used for purposes other than their original intention. Definately makes things more fun and creative!

Marilyn: I actually love the concept of this doll. If I could change anything though it would be 2 things: 1, Marilyn was a full-bodied girl. That was part of her allure, she was curvy in all the right places. This doll looks like todays snobbish anorexic-is-the-only-way-to-be-beautiful way and it irritates me, lol. And 2, the starbucks logo is way out of place for that time period, lol. My eye was drawn to that straight away. I think the doll had a lot going for it, but IMO only those 2 things made it my least favorite.

River Elf: I love that the fish are floating, SO MAGICAL! I'm not a fan of her face though, which is a shame, because you'll have to use that face each coming round. Maybe it's her lipstick though, because I love that face when it's unedited, and you can definately change that.

Make This: I like how this one turned out. That dress is so stunning and your edits were fabulous on it. I know what you mean, that frame always cuts off more than you can use it for, but it's especially special when you can use it on dolls like these where there's not a lot of detail to be had, it gives it the extra oopfh it needs.

Snowy: I really love this doll. I think your execution of snow animation was great with the only downside being the clump of snow that shows up towards the lower right hand side, but other than that I like it much better than the program-edited animations others have been using, which are far too IN YOUR FACE IT'S SNOWING!!! IMO, lol.

(#47 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 11-30-2012, 01:24 PM

Thanks! I think with the Marilyn doll, the concept got lost on the way to execution. I had wanted to put a vent under her, but it looked odd. Looks like someone will need to create a full-bodied Marilyn; I agree that she looks emaciated in this one, but it had the billowing skirt.

Here's my reference for the Evil Queen doll:
Evil Queen Ref

My only issue with the punkin one is her blush; it looks weird looking at it now. Too close in color to the rest of it.

I do like that head and how it looks like flowing water, so depending on rounds I'll probably make the make up different. I do like the extra long eyelashes, though. My goal with the floating fish was to make it look like she is part of the water and they swim with her, not sure how much that comes across, but I'm glas you think it looks magical, lol.

And yes, PLEASE do another prop challenge! I love those contests, and "make this image" contests because you can get so many different ideas from one source.

(#48 (permalink))
Old
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Default 11-30-2012, 02:28 PM

So the Evil Queen dress is fantastic. Only CC is that the red part of the dress should have been shaded differently. I asked to see the original just in case it was an odd fabric, but it's not, so it should have been smooth and flowing, like the hem of this doll, and then a baroque pattern overlay.

(#49 (permalink))
Old
MsShino (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: Not Rated
Default 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM

Ooo lots of fun

When the Halloween contest was opened I was trying to figure out who your partner was cause the hair didn't fit anybody, but then I looked closed at the shape and realized it was Miranda. I'm to used to seeing her with the two-tone hair. That sweater you made is really nice. And I like the background that you chose, it fits so well.

I agree with Lovie about the red part on the Evil Queen dress, with making the red smooth and doing a pattern overlay. But overall you did a really amazing job on making that dress.

I love the Orange Pumkin doll just the way she is. Actually the little blush was one of my favorite parts when I first saw it.

Your Cruella doll is really cool. I love how you used the prop, and the frame looks really good that way. That's and outfit that I want to use someday too. ^^

Again I agree with Lovie on your Marilyn Doll. But one extra thing, this is a classic Marylin pose and as an avid fan I have to point out that you didn't include the steam vent. Which of course you know, but it probably looked weird because the background is way to modern. I really love the concept though.

Your river elf is pretty, and her expression makes me think she's up to something. I think the effect of her being part of the water might have come across better if she had actually been standing in the river.

I love what you did for the Make this Doll contest. The dress looks really nice. And I like that you included a shadow on the path in front of her.

And your Let It Snow doll. This is definately my favorite. I just love the green. It's so elegant, and of course my favorite color. ^^ I think you did pretty good with the snow. The only part that bugs me is there is one that blinks in and out on the middle of her forehead, it's kinda distracting.

Well keep up the good work.

MsShino Says:
Color makes me happy!
Sig & AV by Lovie
(#50 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Thanks girls; sorry I'm so curt; I just tried to update this and was logged out in the process.

Makers used for all of below: Styledollz.info, Options, Purrrfection, and TDP winter and shuni makers.

Backgronund for Int. doll here.

I'll explain these in depth later; I will sat Helga is based on her outfit in the episode "Arnold's Valentine" where she dresses as his French pen pal Cecile.

Rd 2 Elven Warrior:

Helga All Grown Up:

Rd 1 International Pageant

Garden of Eden:

Okay, I have to say that I'm REALLY proud of this one since at the time, no one else had used the naga base to represent the snake. I think it adds a really cool element to the story because what if the snake originally was a naga and then became a plain old snake as punishment? The base inspired me to create this. Also, made her vines by selecting various parts of another shirt and duplicating/erasing them. Also, I combined too frames that I couldn't choose between, and I think it made the frame I ended up with look even cooler.

I will come back and edit this post with more specific comments later; too frustrated at already losing what I previously wrote to update it right now.