Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Doll Creation Post your own doll creations and show your skills to cartoon doll community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default Reminiscing in Watercolor - 01-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Soooo, about 10 years ago, in 8th grade, I took an art class. The teacher was very nice and really encouraged my sister and I. At the end of the year we took home several pieces we were quite proud of. A few weeks into summer we received a phone call from our art teacher asking if we'd each donate some pieces to the school. Feeling quite proud indeed, we gave up our artwork. Fast forward 10 years, I'm a mother teaching her daughter to draw on a magnet doodle board, talking to hubs about my watercolor days. My heart aches that I will never be able to show Gracie the artwork I was so proud of. So after a failed attempt at contacting my school to retrieve my old artwork, I've decided to pick up my paintbrush again. CC and kudos please! I already see a few blemishes, including Aaron's lips, eyebrow, and the white strand in my hair...

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!

Last edited by LancasterPrincess : 01-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM

I'm no water color expert (but my Grammie is/was...I'm not sure how often she is able to go upstairs to the art studio in her retirement home to paint anymore), but this is really impressive. I can't tell if you are actually supposed to be kissing Gracie or just nuzzling her. I love how soft and fuzzy he hair looks, and the overall lighting on he face. I'm not quite sure what's going on under your neck, whether that is your hair or part f her dress in shadow. This is really impressive for it being your first time back in the saddle; I'm really having to methodically scan it to find things amiss that you haven't already mentioned.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks! Here's the art I was replicating:

So underneath my chin is Gracie's hand.

I'm going to have another go with this exact portrait again tonight, but using a more vibrant technique. I'm hoping to get good enough to sell commissions on Etsy. Maybe one day, but I've still got a lot of practicing up ahead.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MsShino (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: Not Rated
Default 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM

I think it looks pretty good. You might try adding more definition where your and Aaron's faces are touching Gracie's. Aaron's lips aren't really visible but if you added the shadows it would help show the shape more.

I'm kinda curious what kind of water color paint you are using. I have more experience with the stuff in tubes than the little discs.

MsShino Says:
Color makes me happy!
Sig & AV by Lovie