Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Doll Creation Post your own doll creations and show your skills to cartoon doll community

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default Miss TDP 2: Handdrawn Round 1 - 07-06-2011, 12:24 AM

Its that time of year again for Miss TDP to be brought out of hiding and revamped! Before continuing to our round one theme, we ask that all members read the following rules and procedures if they are considering competing as our format has changed from the first pageant.

This competition may take up to two or three months to complete, however all participants are not required to stick with the competition throughout. Yes, we have eliminated the voting process and instead will determine a winner by whoever has the most points at the end of the competition! This means people are allowed to enter the competition or leave it at any time, they only will miss out on potential points that could effect the standings in the end.

What you need to do is to create a character portraying the round theme. There will be three rounds, and each round is worth ten points. These points will be awarded to each entry by the judges; Silver_Wolf_Kitty and Miranda_. The competitor with the most points at the end of competition will receive an award made for them by one of the forum staff.

THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD NOR THE PLACE TO SUBMIT DOLLMAKER ENTRIES! Before you post here, I suggest you stop. All non-entry posts will be deleted. If you have questions, direct them to Silver_Wolf_Kitty, who is in charge of the entire competition.

General Competition Rules.
1. Character. When entering, you need to enter with one character and stay with it the entire time. This means that your doll’s hair and skin colour must remain the same throughout, unless otherwise stated in the round theme.
2. Base. You must use the same base set throughout, so pick one with a variety of poses. This base should also be medium in size for handdrawn dollers (comparable in size to the "Maia" bases here: ~Fainelloth Dolls~ or the "Cora" bases here: Doll Bases by blood-cocoa on deviantART). Dollmaker users should use the shuni style base.
3. Theft. No stealing the work of another. This applies to both handdrawn and dollmaker participants, so do not submit a doll that someone else made or, for handdrawn dollers, mix and match pieces of completed dolls that are not your own. All work should be original and failure to comply will result in disqualification.
4. Props. Props and backgrounds are encouraged, but should not be massive. We will ask too large of entries to reduce their size, so be reasonable.
5. Transparency. We ask that all dolls have transparent background and is a GIF file. If you don’t know how to do this, see the following thread: How to Make Backgrounds Transparent
6. Forbidden. Sexually explicit, nudity or overly bloody dolls are forbidden. Entering one could result in disqualification. Also, animation and glitter is not allowed as it creates an unequal field for those who can't animate.
7. Theme. Every doll should relate to the theme. While we encourage creativity, failure to keep with the theme can get you eliminated automatically that round.
8. Judges. No one is allowed to use friendship or promises to sway a judge’s decision. Threats, bribery, and attempts to interfere or discover the judge’s decisions in anyway will result in disqualification. Arguing with the judges can result in an automatic elimination.
9. Competing. You can only submit one entry for each competition, so choose wisely.
10. Entries. You may enter both competitions if you wish. Make sure, however, that you do not enter the same profile for both competitions; it must be different.

Procedures
1. Participants enter a doll every two-three weeks in the set thread. They may enter it sooner, however further edits are not allowed after the doll is entered. No matter what, the two-three weeks are a guaranteed time slot(unless all entries are received before it).
2. Any participants who fail to meet this deadline will be eliminated. Deadlines are not being extended for anyone, so do not ask. Special extensions may be asked in the event of a long trip or medical/family emergency, but you must contact Silver_Wolf_Kitty immediately if this occurs.
3. After submission is closed, the judges will then provide critique on each entry and score the dolls based on creativity, adherence to the theme, and several other factors which will be revealed when critiques are posted.
4. After critiques are posted and points are updated, the next round will begin.

Round 1: Fairytales

Don't get too excited yet, these are not your typical fairytales, so there will be no Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty here. No, you are limited to portraying a character from one of the following five stories:

Donkeyskin

The Goosegirl

Your doll can be dressed as any character in these stories and creativity is highly encouraged, just identify the character when you submit your entry. There will be no point reductions for repeated characters. For this round you may change your character's hair colour, although it is better if you stick with your intended colour for the competition.

Entry Format
(Doll pic)
Base Link
Name:
Fairytale Represented:
Short Explanation/Comments (OPTIONAL):
Link to Your Thread (OPTIONAL)

Please submit all Handdrawn entries here. The end date is July 22nd.
Good luck!

Av & Sig Credit: Me

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-07-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Default 07-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Base Link
Name: Ella
Fairytale Represented: Donkeyskin
Short Explanation/Comments: Ella is in the dress as bright as the sun
Link to your Thread

Critiques
Miranda: I can see that you've been practicing your shading; the hair looks a lot better than your first handdrawn dolls, tho it could do with a little more stranding, and perhaps some stray hair strands to make it look a bit more realistic. Also, the ponytail is a bit thin, and the eyebrows could be shaded to match the hair. The dress is fantastically patterned, altho the pattern doesn't really curve with the dress; it's just straight up and down. The outline could be darker; that's just my personal preference, and a bit more creasing around the waist would be good. Overall tho, it's a good doll, just needs a little more work here and there.
Score: 7/10

Kitty: To begin, your shading has significantly improved, particularly on the dress. The way you have shaded the skirt is something you should keep up for these types of dresses, which helps create the creases and folds that would occur with such a bulky skirt. The folds on the waist are spot on as well, which can be very difficult to properly achieve, so bravo! Where your shading has fallen a bit flat is in the ponytail,which really needed more highlights, particularly on her chest where it'll be a bit more uplifted and catching the light, which shading lighter there would've helped give the hair the natural, flowy look you want to aim for when shading hair. Where I encounter major shading and technique issues is with your pattern application. If you opt to not curve the pattern with your outfit, then you absolutely must shade the pattern with the dress. With such a light shade, you would want a nice contrast between the shades to help create the same shadows you have in the dress. I would suggest working more patterns into your other dolls to practice this more.

Now, for the details, I think you picked a nice shade of yellow for this dress, especially since yellow can go very wrong in dolling. Personally, I would've preferred a different dress cut. A one sleeve simply feels unrealistic to me and it could've helped you to do some research on renaissance and medieval gowns to help give you some direction with the shape. Finally, you had a real opportunity to dress this doll up, but it fell flat beyond the gown. A ponytail was too casual for me and I would've liked to see you challenge yourself with an up-do or even a basic bun variation (or a medieval veil or cap, if you are feeling really up to a challenge )! Also, some jewelry could've really helped bring you some top points. Overall, this is a good start to the competition and I'm looking forward to seeing you up your game.
Score: 6/10

TOTAL SCORE: 13/20 POINTS

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-23-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 07-19-2011, 10:52 PM

\base/
Name: Amy Hunter
Tale Represented: Goose Girl
Comments: She's barefooted on purpose, not because I forgot. Her hair is being blown into her face by the same wind she begs for to keep Conrad running about, and her dress is brown because peasants wouldn't be able to afford dyes of any sort; even the shading of the white shirt is brownish. More comments found in my thread.
My Thread!

Critiques
Miranda: First of all, I've just got to say that I love that hair! It looks so silky; I just want to reach out and stroke it! It's quite obviously windblown, as is the dress which is quite obviously a peasant style dress, perfect for the goosegirl. I love the folds; folding is difficult to achieve, especially if you're dolling a windblown dress, and it's a good touch to not have her have shoes. The background looks good, tho the flowers and grass are a little rough and ready, but it's good that you made the effort to put in a background as that really helps in the setting for the doll.
Score: 9/10

Kitty: WOW! The folds and shading on this doll look amazing and I'm glad you challenged yourself with the windblown hair and dress, knowing you could've easily done anything and gotten high points with your skills. You obviously did your work, sticking with nice dull colours for her dress and barefeet, which really sell the poverty that the Goosegirl would've been living in. Small suggestion, possibly playing around with darkening her feet from the dirt might've really finished off her barefeet look and would've been a nice small detail that would've helped drive this entry that extra point. Your background, particularly the sky, is beautiful, but your grass is rough, but understandably a difficult thing to do, (though I like how its all blowing the right direction!) and needs a little more work. The only thing I have are suggestions that could've helped make this doll more recognizable as a story, maybe some of the geese she was tending around her feet or Conrad's hat flying in the sky behind her? Otherwise, this is an entirely beautiful doll!

TOTAL SCORE: 18/20 POINTS

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-23-2011 at 11:11 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 07-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Base is from DHF, but the site's been taken down
Name: Meredith Malone
Tale Represented: The Red Shoes
Comments: Meredith is dressed up as Karen after she has her feet chopped off and is trying to go to church, but the red shoes block her way. Don't worry, the bloody feet are made of plastic. Meredith wasn't very amused when I suggested actually amputating hers . The outfit is (very loosely) inspired by some pictures of Danish national costume (since the author of the story is Danish).
Thread

Critiques
Miranda: Lovely attention to detail; I like the crutch and the Danish costume, plus the doll looks aptly sad at her feet in the red shoes barring her way to the church. One small niggle is her red lipstick; a more subtle shade would have been better, especially since she's trying to make a good impression now to make up for her earlier transgessions. The shading is great; especially on the apron, tho the hair could be a little more stranded. I love the way the red shoes are shaded, and the feet aren't too gory, either.
Score: 8/10

Kitty: I was wondering if anyone would take of the challenge presented by the Red Shoes! I must say this is an excellent representation and you made this story immediately recognizable in your doll, which isn't an easy thing to do (its one thing to doll a character, but another to basically doll a scene). As always, your technique is marvelous, the only major critique I have is the white apron and sleeve doesn't have enough contrast. It seems like a flat white board which is unfortunate because you obviously have some nice shading going on. The shoes, stockings, and scarf though were spot on, brilliant shading for them all!

I really enjoyed that you opted to take a more historical approach and modelled it after the Danish national costume to start and also had some nice muted tones for her church attendance. It contrasts nicely with the shoes, which seem really garish and terrible dancing in front of her! You have some small details here, which echoes the tale with her crutch and the Bible, showing a real ability to incorporate props without having them overwhelm. This is something everyone else should watch out for!

TOTAL SCORE: 17/20 POINTS

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
katiebear_X3 (Offline)
Bonita

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: Not Rated
Default 07-20-2011, 05:47 PM

i want to post my entry on my own account so here it is

Base Link
Name: Kylie
Fairytale Represented: the Fairies
Short Explanation/Comments: Kylie is dressed up as the younger daughter and how she thinks she would look. since the mother despised the younger daugter she doesnt have any shoes. since the fairy gave her the power to drop roses pearls and diamonds from her mouth when she speaks i gave her each of those items (she is wearing the diamonds as earrings)
link to thread

can you please delete the other post thank you

Critiques
Miranda: This doll fits the setting of the fairytale well; she's dressed poorly and has no shoes, and she's smiling cuz of being pleased with her gift. However, the rose looks a bit too big to drop from her mouth, and I don't think she'd put the diamonds in her ears as earrings; for one thing, she wouldn't have the time or resources. The clothes look a little pillowshaded, and the hair, tho well stranded, could do with a few highlights to set it off. The folds in the clothes are a little too uniform, and should be more uneven.
Score: 6/10

Kitty: Right away, your shading needs some improvement. You are making a common mistake of pillowshading and it may help you to look at Kiwi_Kat's entry for an example of how to handle shading a poofy skirt, which can be a bit difficult to do if you are inexperienced. Your waist folds are not terrible, though you should focus on trying to curve the folds more to her body and you also should slightly reduce the bulkiness of your darkest shade in the fold. It should be about a one pixel line to help give you an idea of how thick it should be. You did do an excellent job with the hair and the next step you can take to push your abilities is to incorporate strands of different shades, playing more with highlights and lowlights to help give it a nice flowy look.

It was great that you really tried to incorporate the details of the story in a unique way (the diamond earrings) and your rose is beautiful. Personally, I think instead of a rose it may have been better for you to pixel flower petals rather than whole flowers, which you could've spread all around her and even placed upon her skirt. The lack of shoes was a nice touch. I didn't find the cut of the clothes particularly amazing (a longer skirt would've been more appropriate) and I would've preferred some duller colours and a more patchy look since she is the mistreated daughter after all! Overall, there is some good and bad here, you just need to take these critiques, keep practicing, and I'm sure your next entry will really wow us.
Score: 5/10 points

TOTAL SCORE: 11/20 POINTS

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-23-2011 at 11:46 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM

I've just finished my doll doll, but I'm wondering if I'll have time for props and such. So my question:

Is the end of entries 12am of the 22nd, or 11:59pm of the 22nd? So, the morning or evening of the 22nd?

**EDIT**

Nevermind! I started (and pretty much finished) the props, but since the doll is so light the props were seriously distracting attention.
Ah well, maybe next time eh?

Base: Small Sunshine
Name: Evony Marie Vayle
Fairytale Represented: Donkeyskin

Comments: As mentioned above, I had planned to, and actually finished (for the most part), add props, but as the Moon Dress is an extremely light color they were entirely too distracting. I did want to mention my theory behind the dresses of the story: Her father (blech) simply yearned for his daughter by her beauty alone. I therefore took the time period into consideration and constructed a very scantily clad outfit. She's showing large amounts of cleavage and (oh my!) shoulder. To add to the highly arousing factor, the dress is corset-styled.

Also, her hair is hastily put up. I figured she was a princess, thus normally didn't do her own hair, so I stayed far away from any and all extravagent up-do's. But since her hair is wet from her bath, I didn't want to leave it down either.

And to conclude: That's not Evony's hair color. I just can't seem to get past golden blondes being "the MOST beautiful".

Critiques & Kudos Please!

Critiques
Miranda: I've just got to say that I love this dress! It's wonderfully shaded, and perfectly sets off the whole idea of a dress as lovely as the moon. The golden pattern is simple and doesn't detract from the main dress, and I love the sleeves. The hair of the doll looks a bit off; I'm not sure how to explain it, it just doesn't look as tho it's hair, but a wig. A bit more hair strands put in would improve it as would a few loose strands here and there. But over all, this is a great doll wearing a really fantastic dress.

Kitty: The shading on this gown is so beautiful and realistic that I actually had to take a closer look to see if you blended it to achieve this smooth look! I'm amazed at what you accomplished with a very minimal set of shades when a gown of this size and smoothness would typically mean someone has used at least 10 different shades (I believe you used 6 or 7?). The gold for the corset top and the embroidery is quite lovely as well and I love that you didn't do an easily anticipated white gown, but rather a yellowish-beige gown that really is closer to the actual colour of the moon. The little details like the jewelry help polish off this look and I love that you have a shadow under her gown!

My lone critique lies with the hair. Most of it is beautiful, but the bangs are completely off. I think the bulkiness of those pieces is a bit jarring considering how soft the rest of it looks and the shading on them are simply not as lovely as the rest of your hair (such as those buns!). Bangs are notoriously difficult, so kudos for attempting them! Next time, I'd either suggest eliminating them entirely or focusing on a more stranded bang, which would've helped give it a more natural flow.

TOTAL SCORE: 18/20 POINTS

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-24-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Adding Thread Info
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 07-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Excellent job, ladies! You'll all be happy to know that your critiques have been posted and the next round will be up tomorrow afternoon, so keep an eye out and remember that there are still another 40 points up for grabs that could totally change these standings. I've seen it before, so just keep up the great entries!

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Closed Thread