Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Doll Creation Post your own doll creations and show your skills to cartoon doll community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default PxT Magazine - 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

PxT Magazine A Dolling Magazine!

Its a site that's really intended for handdrawn dollers, but everyone who does pixel work might find it intriguing.

Anyways, what it is is a dolling magazine that started fairly recently and covers topics that are relevant to dollers, problems in the community, and features dolls. If you haven't been connected to the community before, this is a good way to become familiar with it.

Today I browsed the whole "traced anime bases" personal opinion article and found myself agreeing with a lot of the points in it. I do openly admit to some serious traced base hate, though I'm not one of those people who bashes others. I just think its flat out theft and copyright infringement and find myself ashamed to think that places like deviantart allow them because of that. I also find myself having a difficult time reconciling these creations with dolling. Maybe its because I'm so old and have been in the scene for so long, but I can't redefine bases in my head to include them. They are line art to me, not dolls. I do think I am going to try to venture more into the dolling section on dA to try to encourage them to move away from traced bases(I know this is something we've all done, but it bothers me more today because its picked up in popularity and actually currently beats out the bases we are more familiar with).

Anyways, shall we discuss this month's issue? I noticed a feature on male dolls that I think people will find interesting

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 12-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Ooh, another dolling magazine? Sounds interesting . Will definitely read it sometime, but not right now since it's getting late.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 12-15-2009, 05:37 PM

I think the anime traces are talentless pieces of crud. Especially the ones who dare to call the ones that have CLOTHING AND HAIR ON THEM 'bases'. I've reported them up and left, and nothing is done.

GRRR.

I liked that article on prejudices; wish I could show that to the eejits that basically chased me off The Gathering. They've all left now though.

The one on male dolls isn't working, I keep getting a server error?

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-15-2009, 07:51 PM

I disagree with their defence of toolshading, tho. While I admit that a proper doller will use toolshading in a very skillful and beautiful way on their dolls, there are far too many people using it in a hamfisted way purely out of laziness. Those people are the ones who need to be bashed, cuz they're giving the proper toolshaders a bad name. On other sites, I've seen some toolshaded dolls that obviously took a great deal of work and are commendable.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-15-2009, 07:55 PM

You should. I'm liking it already and its getting a lot of attention from dolling groups

I've reported them too and finally asked straight up what was up with it. Apparently, because they say they are bases, that means they are bases. It took all of my control to ask since when did 13 year old fangirls run dA because last thing I knew its adults who do. I even have reported straight up drawings that were comics or hamtaro colorings and they weren't moved because it is up to the artist to define their work. I understand the freedom, but there are basically no lines at this point in time anymore. I like pyro, but this site stance is bothering me immensely and I know she doesn't like them either.

I really liked that article too. It definately was a good idea considering its still an issue in the community. Everyone is afraid to break out for fear of being picked on. Lord help you if you aren't popular too because then everyone will jump on you.

That's sad. Hopefully you'll get to read it. I really liked it since I've been considering more attempts at male dolls. Have to really with the massive layout project I've got planned.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
(#6 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM

I am acquainted with the owners
They have a chatroom on dA
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-16-2009, 07:27 AM

I've done a few male dolls; blood-cocoa has some great male bases. Check my DA for them rather than digging thru my handdrawn thread. XD

I also find that there's a lot of snobbery within the community; just as there is in the artist community. I remember being attacked by this girl just cuz I'd said that her horse pictures needed work. She was so used to being lavished with praise by her group of sycophants, that any CC seemed to her as tho I was saying her mother was a hamster and her father smelled of elderberries. -.-

(#8 (permalink))
Old
noirmali (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-16-2009, 08:24 AM

I agree with Miranda.
She had a picture that had proper proportions except the chest was too big (the rest of the body was in proportion with the head) and then everyone insisted that the head needed to be bigger to suit the chest--
But I said, no, wait a minute; everything else is in proportion, so why don't you just change the chest?
...They were pretty annoyed and against me, but GothikLollipop helped me out.
----
Another case, where the body is smaller than the head, and the style she's drawing in seems realistic.
I told her that the chest, body area needs to be larger --- people seem to be annoyed at me whenever I say anything CC like. They insisted that her artwork was fine, it was beautiful, and not to listen to me.
It's okay, though, as I know these types of people.
All you have to do is refuse to say anything mean.
<3