Miss TDP Handdrawn-Round Six! - 11-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the first ever Miss TDP competition! Before continuing to the theme for round six, we ask that all members read the following rules and procedures if they are competing.
The public has decided and we now must say goodbye to competitor Silent_Wolf. Congrats to her for working so hard! The following members are still competing in this competition and are the only ones allowed to post here:
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD NOR THE PLACE TO SUBMIT DOLLMAKER ENTRIES! Before you post here, I suggest you stop. All non-entry posts will be deleted. If you have questions, direct them to Silver_Wolf_Kitty. If you want to discuss the contest, the official Miss TDP clique(found here) is suggested.
1. Character. When entering Miss TDP, you need to enter with one character and stay with it the entire time. This means that your doll’s hair, eye, and skin colour must remain the same throughout, unless otherwise stated in the round theme.
2. Base. You must use the same base set throughout, so pick one with a variety of poses. This base should also be medium in size for handdrawn dollers (comparable in size to the "Moe" bases here: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory). Dollmaker users should use the shuni style base.
3. Theft. No stealing the work of another. This applies to both handdrawn and dollmaker participants, so do not submit a doll that someone else made or, for handdrawn dollers, mix and match pieces of completed dolls that are not your own. All work should be original and failure to comply will result in disqualification.
4. Props. Props and backgrounds are encouraged, but should not be massive. We will ask too large of entries to reduce their size, so be reasonable.
5. Transparency. We ask that all dolls have transparent background and is a GIF file. If you don’t know how to do this, see the following thread: How to Make Backgrounds Transparent
6. Forbidden. Sexually explicit, nudity(artistic nudity must be okayed first by Silver_Wolf_Kitty), or overly bloody dolls are forbidden. Entering one could result in disqualification.
7. Theme. Every doll should relate to the theme. While we encourage creativity, failure to keep with the theme can get you eliminated automatically that round.
8. Judges. No one is allowed to use friendship or promises to sway a judge’s decision. Threats, bribery, and attempts to interfere or discover the judge’s decisions in anyway will result in disqualification. Arguing with the judges can result in an automatic elimination.
9. Competing. You can only submit one entry for each cometition, so choose wisely. The rules are being changed to allow crossover, but we ask that handdrawn dollers stick to the dollmakers if they are inclined to compete in that arena.
10. Animation. Animation is forbidden in the competition. We understand that many users like glitter, blinking, etc, but it takes away from the creativity and creates an unequal playing field for those who can’t animate.
The audition round procedures are no longer in place, these are the procedures that will be followed in the future.
1. Participants enter a doll every two weeks in the set thread. They may enter it sooner, however further edits are not allowed after the doll is entered. No matter what, the two weeks are a guaranteed time slot(unless all entries are received before it).
2. Any participants who fail to meet this deadline will be eliminated. Deadlines are not being extended for anyone, so do not ask. Special extensions may be asked in the event of a long trip or medical/family emergency, but you must contact Silver_Wolf_Kitty immediately if this occurs.
3. After two weeks(or when all dolls are entered), the judges will then provide critique on each entry and select a bottom two for the round.
4. Several days are given for voting on who should stay. Voting will be a public affair, but you shouldn’t worry about hurting feelings. All you have to do is post in the voting thread with the name of the participant who you think should stay in the competition. You may provide an explanation, but that is up to you.
5. Votes are counted and the bottom participant is eliminated, then the next round begins.
The theme for round six is "Color Splash". For those who don't know what it is, here are some examples:
Photobucket | color splash Pictures, color splash Images, color splash Photos
What you have to do this round is do a monochromatic doll--with a twist. You are allowed to select one part of the doll to be colored. The rest, including hair, eyes, and skin, must be in black and white! Here is a recommended list of items to include with your doll(not all need to be included, this is simply a guideline for things we would love to see!):
High heeled shoes
When your doll is ready, we ask participants to post their handdrawn doll in this thread. Round five will close the evening of December 6th! After that, the judges will submit their critiques and then public voting of the bottom two for the round will begin. After that will come the finale!
11-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Items Included: Headband, belt, striped socks, high-heeled shoes, pet, background (don't know it it counts, since it's geometric and not detailed, but I'll mention it anyway. :P).
Base: nicolabear on deviantART
I really liked this round's concept. I love colour-splash art. Hopefully it is okay that I have both the eye and the belt in colour, since they are the same colour and relatively small items.
Hope this doll will get me to the finals! =D
Very nice! The white outline is a nice added detail. I love the cat, and the striped socks and shoes reminds me of the Wicked Witch of the East (which is a good thing for me since I love the Oz! The Wizard of Oz!!) Overall, fanatastic job!
I think this is a really cute doll. You chose a nice colour to use for your splash and it certainly fits well with the black and white. Adding a white border was a smart choice, it certainly helped your doll pop better against the background. In some portions of your doll though your outlining appears chunky, particularly on the chest. I'm not sure if this was intended to be a thicker banding, but if it was, it would've helped to shade it a bit. Also, I think the shading on your more visible glove could've been fixed a bit. Right now, it appears more dithered with nothing in between each color than anything else. A little tweaking and it would be up to your usual level. Regardless, your doll is my favorite this week. It was simple, chic, and you used the splash tastefully.
11-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Items Included: Stripy Stockings, Hat, Belt, Background
Its plain and simple compared to the others, which is very nice, but it is a bit of a disadvantage. The jacket kind of blends into the background, but I can still tell what it is. I like the orange scarf but with everything else being so simple, I think it should have been a bit more extravagent. Overall, it is a very nice job.
I really like your concept of her popping out of this film noir sort of world. Its almost like as she moves more into ours, she would gain more and more color. I think your concept is the most unique in how you took the color splash and applied it to the character as well. I also think using orange was a bold choice since its such an underappreciated color. I think it would've come off a bit better though with a slightly more diversified palette because right now the shades tend to blend together into one. I agree with singer that your jacket tends to blend into the background, which could've been fixed with a slightly lighter shade of gray for the sky. Your skirt's shading is definately off and could've used more work. Overall, way to make me fall in love with your concept!
12-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Items included: Background, Jewelled hairband & Gloves.
Base:GigideMortimer on deviantART
Phew...Finally finished her, I started her really late and only just finished, The Hair, Background & Mask took forever to make but I am really happy with the outcome of the whole doll, I would have liked to change the skin & eye colour to look more like Gabriel's own colour but it wasnt allowed so hopefully she still looks a little like her.
Gabriel is at a Masquerade ball, nobody knows who she is and she is making the most of it.
Standing beside the window she notices Jack a guy she has known for awhile but just hasn't had the courage to ask him out so she decides to play a game with him, she inconspicuously drops her handkerchief on the floor and waits for him to pick it up...he did and the rest of the night I will leave to your Imagination.
I love the mask! Absolutely LOVE it! The hair looks amazing and the dress has so much detail. Must have took you several weeks to complete. The skin doesn't look that great in some parts, like the eye brows and collar bone. Overall, great job!
Ness, I am unafraid to say that I think your dolling skills have improved the most in this competition. I think everyone expected you to be the underdog, but you continue to take critiques and wow the judges every round with huge improvements. I believe your doll as the strongest story behind it and you included it in all elements of the doll. From the dress to the mask to the handkerchief, you certainly melded the elements in a way that shows just how dangerous of a competitor you are. Using the multicolored mask was a bold move. I think it would've been improved with more shading or larger differences between your shades because right now it tends to all blend together. Also, there's some shading on your dress that is incorrect around the calf area. A mermaid style dress would not have shading around the calf. Rather, the shading mainly comes from the folds, which are mainly concentrated along the flared portion of the dress. You picked a flattering style though(one of my favorites) that does look good with this doll base, it just needed some more work.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Miss TDP Handdrawn-Round Five!||Miss_TDP_Committee||Doll Creation||4||11-06-2009 07:16 PM|
|Miss TDP Handdrawn-Round Four||Miss_TDP_Committee||Doll Creation||4||10-08-2009 08:28 AM|
|Miss TDP-Handdrawn Round Three||Miss_TDP_Committee||Doll Creation||6||09-12-2009 06:06 AM|
|Miss TDP-Handdrawn Round Two!||Miss_TDP_Committee||Doll Creation||6||08-06-2009 10:41 PM|
|Miss TDP-Handdrawn Round One!||Miss_TDP_Committee||Doll Creation||7||07-07-2009 08:10 AM|