Miss TDP-Handdrawn Round Three
Welcome to the first ever Miss TDP competition! Before continuing to the theme for round three, we ask that all members read the following rules and procedures if they are competing.
Due to a drop out, there was no voting elimination for the last round, but there will be in the next round. The following members are still competing in this competition and are the only ones allowed to post here:
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD NOR THE PLACE TO SUBMIT DOLLMAKER ENTRIES! Before you post here, I suggest you stop. All non-entry posts will be deleted. If you have questions, direct them to Silver_Wolf_Kitty. If you want to discuss the contest, the official Miss TDP clique(found here) is suggested.
1. Character. When entering Miss TDP, you need to enter with one character and stay with it the entire time. This means that your doll’s hair, eye, and skin colour must remain the same throughout, unless otherwise stated in the round theme.
2. Base. You must use the same base set throughout, so pick one with a variety of poses. This base should also be medium in size for handdrawn dollers (comparable in size to the "Moe" bases here: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory). Dollmaker users should use the shuni style base.
3. Theft. No stealing the work of another. This applies to both handdrawn and dollmaker participants, so do not submit a doll that someone else made or, for handdrawn dollers, mix and match pieces of completed dolls that are not your own. All work should be original and failure to comply will result in disqualification.
4. Props. Props and backgrounds are encouraged, but should not be massive. We will ask too large of entries to reduce their size, so be reasonable.
5. Transparency. We ask that all dolls have transparent background and is a GIF file. If you don’t know how to do this, see the following thread: How to Make Backgrounds Transparent
6. Forbidden. Sexually explicit, nudity(artistic nudity must be okayed first by Silver_Wolf_Kitty), or overly bloody dolls are forbidden. Entering one could result in disqualification.
7. Theme. Every doll should relate to the theme. While we encourage creativity, failure to keep with the theme can get you eliminated automatically that round.
8. Judges. No one is allowed to use friendship or promises to sway a judge’s decision. Threats, bribery, and attempts to interfere or discover the judge’s decisions in anyway will result in disqualification. Arguing with the judges can result in an automatic elimination.
9. Competing. You can only submit one entry for each cometition, so choose wisely. The rules are being changed to allow crossover, but we ask that handdrawn dollers stick to the dollmakers if they are inclined to compete in that arena.
10. Animation. Animation is forbidden in the competition. We understand that many users like glitter, blinking, etc, but it takes away from the creativity and creates an unequal playing field for those who can’t animate.
The audition round procedures are no longer in place, these are the procedures that will be followed in the future.
1. Participants enter a doll every two weeks in the set thread. They may enter it sooner, however further edits are not allowed after the doll is entered. No matter what, the two weeks are a guaranteed time slot(unless all entries are received before it).
2. Any participants who fail to meet this deadline will be eliminated. Deadlines are not being extended for anyone, so do not ask. Special extensions may be asked in the event of a long trip or medical/family emergency, but you must contact Silver_Wolf_Kitty immediately if this occurs.
3. After two weeks, the judges will then provide critique on each entry and select a bottom two for the round.
4. Several days are given for voting on who should stay. Voting will be a public affair, but you shouldn’t worry about hurting feelings. All you have to do is post in the voting thread with the name of the participant who you think should stay in the competition. You may provide an explanation, but that is up to you.
5. Votes are counted and the bottom participant is eliminated, then the next round begins.
The theme for round three is "Jewel Fairies". This means that competitors need to select a jewel color(such as Ruby Red, Emerald Green, Sapphire Blue, etc) and use it for their entire doll. The fairy should be in entirely that color, with the exception being one piece of black or white clothing or accessory and metal palettes(which should be using sparingly). Competitors are not permitted to change their character's skin, hair, or eye colors in this round.
When your doll is ready, we ask participants to post their handdrawn doll in this thread. Round three will close the evening of September 15th! After that, the judges will submit their critiques and then public voting of the bottom two for the round will begin.
Q: Does the doll need to be a fairy?
A: Yes, the doll does need to be a fairy.
Q: Are mixed color jewels(Ex: Ametrine) and decorative gemstones(Ex: Lace Agate) allowed?
A: Yes, all jewels and gemstones are allowed, within reason. They shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 different colors, that defeats the purpose of the theme.
Jewel colour: Turquoise turquoise. XD
Basically lola is now dressed up as a turquoise fairy. She may have small wings but she makes up for it with her big attitude. She's quite a modern fairy hence the arm warmers and short skirt. Those fishnets took ages and ages and ages. I don't think I have any colours apart from turquoise and I hope it's turquoise enough and not too blue.
She has no shoes because I can't really think of what shoes a fairy would wear. Not flip flops that's for sure.XD
Its a good entry but its a little bland. Plus, its a really bright colour and it almost clashes with the black hair. The same colour over and over again makes it really hard to focus on one item. This is why we allowed you to use the other neutral colours, so it wouldn't clash as much,
I agree with Singer. There is way too much of the same bright green shade, that doesn't really seem very much like the Turquoise I'm used to seeing, which is usually more blue. Also, this doll was clearly rushed. You should've taken more time to smooth out the curves of the wings and to work on the outlines. The accessories look blotchy, especially the necklace, and you probably would've been better off with wider spaces for the fishnets. It has potential, but I feel this doll was a huge miss.
Jewel: Lapis lazuli
Base: nicolabear on deviantART
Mandy (a singer/actress) has a new movie role! She's not so happy about dressing up as a fairy, and only being a supporting role, but business is business. She's always a little grumpy when she doesn't get her way. :P
That is so cute! The colours blend so well together. The wings are my favorite and the make-up too! Although, why no shoes? It just dawned on me that she doesn't have any shoes. Overall, great job!
This doll is adorable. The shading on this came out wonderfully, especially the poof of the skirt. Interesting choice to add the freckles/glitter that matched her hair, definately a risk with her skin tone, but I think it turned out very nicely. The pixel mushroom was a nice touch, definately an above and beyond move that shows exactly why you are in this competition. Overall, this is an excellent doll.
Jewel: Cartoon Dolls - Doll maker and Dress up games to dress up dolls and avatars - Making Cartoon Dolls @ TDP
Base: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory
With a colour scheme like this, I just wanted to make something asymmetric and eccentric. Since her outfit is so colourful, I decided not to add many accessories so it wouldn't look too busy. The wings are made of wire, with gems set in them (I couldn't get Ashley to wear traditional fairy wings XD). Design of the wings was inspired by this stylized butterfly: http://vector4free.com/_images/vectors/normal/76.png
Awesome idea! I wouldn't have even thought of doing a muliti colour jewel. And I know you said that with the major colour scheme you didn't want to add to many accessories but I think just a simple necklace or bracelet would have been nice because she does look a bit bland where her clothes aren't. What I also could have seen on there is maybe a simple tattoo on her right shoulder or her stomach but I also know those are hard to pixel. Overall, great job!
When you approached me about a multi-colored stone, I was a bit worried about how you would do it, but I think this came out brilliantly. I'm glad you chose to do a gradient and not separated colors, I think then this doll would've flopped big time. I really think the wire wings were an original concept and it definately added to the eccentric nature of this doll. I agree with Singer that you could've gotten away with a simple necklace or bracelet of the same metal since it looks a little empty on top, but it still is a very beautiful doll.
Gif version: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82..._155263037.gif
Stone: Lace Agate (File:Gem.pebbles.800pix.labelled.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , last row, second from the right)
Base: CCG (21) Fantasies , Medley
The reason it's posted as a PNG with a link to the GIF version is simple; Iaza eated it. Badly. It might not be obvious right off the bat where it was eaten, but if you guys do the zoom-in thing to check shading and do comparisons between the two and all you'll definitely see it. Especially in her pants and in the stones.
Anyway, I chose the Lace Agate because it's a very pretty, very light stone. I wasn't entirely sure how many shades there are of it, so I did do a few shades that were darker than what's seen in the image. The wings' gems are being held up by ghosts, as we tried finding a good set of wings for Alvin to wear and it just wouldn't work. So, found a bunch of Lace Agate gems and had her ghost friends hold them up. That won't disqualify her, will it? >.>;
Its a little bland coming from you but its nice and simple. I would have thought you would have done some more...well, out there, but this is also a nice post from you. I would have chose a different colour for the pants, simply because I think it clashes a bit with the outfit, but that also could be the white background playing with my eyes. Overall, very nicely done.
My first thought was "Man, I wish I had her hair!". Its so beautifully styled and it was a nice touch to toss it over her shoulder. I think the issue that this doll has though is the wings are dominating it. I think they are incredibly beautiful, but Alvin is definately overshadowed here. Maybe a different base pose would've fixed this problem. As for the colors, it definately became a problem when the transparency couldn't be done. It is beautiful, but the white background definately makes the palette colors all blend together. Its a great doll and its a shame the background couldn't be made transparent without destroying it since I suspect it would've looked very good.
Base: *DEAC loves you.
Tiffany is a diamond fairy, and she chose to be a diamond fairy because diamond is the birthstone for April, and her birthday is April 16th.
I had a lot of fun with this doll, even though the white palate was hard to work with. I added a silver belt, bewcause I thought that it was missing something, and even gave her a diamond wand, one that she normally uses as a baton, and twirls around her fingers, but almost always end up dropping it.
Very cute idea but wasn't the best well thought out plan. First, very light pallette. When your working with a light pallette, add a darker background so it is more easily shown. This is mainly for the wings. Second, the lips. A little too light. You should have done a darker pallette or just kept them neutral. Third, the light pallette makes her look really, really light skinned for some reason. Most of the time, it goes the opposite way but on my computer its not. And fourth, the hair doesn't look that great with this outfit. I think its just that the lightness of everything is a little too much. However, the diamond baton was a nice touch and that looks really nice and the diamonds on the side are nice. Overall, it was a decent effort. Although, I did notice you are the only one with shoes. xD
I agree that the palette choice ended up becoming an issue with the doll. It is a cute concept, but once all the white got together, it turned into a mess. I believe that working with this much white is generally a risk in dolling and sadly this was a miss. I think the biggest issue, of all the tiny things, is the white lips. If you had done a bright red, I think this doll could've been improved significantly. Nice accessory choices though, I notice that you had shoes, which seems to give this doll a more urban slair than the other fairies. I like it, I just would've liked to see more.
Jewel: Ceylon White Sapphire
Base: Poupe-base by GigideMortimer by ~GigideMortimer on deviantART
I chose the Ceylon White Sapphire because someone had already picked Diamond and it was too late to change the colour of my doll, I placed her on a black background because it is hard to see the white on a light background, I hope you like her as a LOT of work went into creating Gabriel as a fairy and I am very proud of her.
Gabriel is on her way home from a Fairy Gathering in the woods, she is normally a fairly good girl but tonight she is in a good mood & feeling a little tipsy due to the fact that she had a little too much honey wine, The Love spell that she was supposed to learn for the fairy elders backfired and ended up on herself, so to her dismay instead of falling in love with the local hottie that she has had her eye on she ended up falling in love with you guessed it...herself
This is a great entry. It was well thought out and well put together. I love the outfit and the hair and the background was a nice touch to make sure everything stood out enough. Overall, great job!
You know, I never would've put my money on you becoming one of the top contenders since you are just beginning, but I think you are bringing a level of creativity to this competition that the other contestants would do well to be wary of. I really love the shaping of the outfit, it was creative and well done with the shading, the only issue is the black shorts. A little more work on their shading would've fixed that issue though. The one thing I say was done wrong is the wings need to be lowered(they are currently coming out of her neck ;) ), but other than that, this is an excellent doll.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.|
© 2007 The Doll Palace