Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Doll Creation Post your own doll creations and show your skills to cartoon doll community

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miss_TDP_Committee (Offline)
Bonita

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Miss TDP-Dollmaker Round Three - 09-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Welcome to the first ever Miss TDP competition! Before continuing to the theme for round three, we ask that all members read the following rules and procedures if they are competing.

The public has decided and the member who was eliminated was antimaie! Congrats to her for working so hard! The following members are still competing in this competition and are the only ones allowed to post here:
  • Aussiemum777
  • Catlover642
  • Heva_Banana_Mad
  • iluvdolphin6
  • jordanashley
  • prin367cess
  • XxXCookies_R_MineXxX
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD NOR IS IT THE PLACE TO SUBMIT HANDDRAWN DOLLS! Before you post here, I suggest you stop. All non-entry posts will be deleted. If you have questions, direct them to Silver_Wolf_Kitty. If you want to discuss the contest, the official Miss TDP clique(found here) is suggested.

Rules
1. Character. When entering Miss TDP, you need to enter with one character and stay with it the entire time. This means that your doll’s hair, eye, and skin colour must remain the same throughout, unless otherwise stated in the round theme.
2. Base. You must use the same base set throughout, so pick one with a variety of poses. This base should also be medium in size for handdrawn dollers (comparable in size to the "Moe" bases here: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory). Dollmaker users should use the shuni style base.
3. Theft. No stealing the work of another. This applies to both handdrawn and dollmaker participants, so do not submit a doll that someone else made or, for handdrawn dollers, mix and match pieces of completed dolls that are not your own. All work should be original and failure to comply will result in disqualification.
4. Props. Props and backgrounds are encouraged, but should not be massive. We will ask too large of entries to reduce their size, so be reasonable.
5. Transparency. We ask that all dolls have transparent background and is a GIF file. If you don’t know how to do this, see the following thread: How to Make Backgrounds Transparent
6. Forbidden. Sexually explicit, nudity(artistic nudity must be okayed first by Silver_Wolf_Kitty), or overly bloody dolls are forbidden. Entering one could result in disqualification.
7. Theme. Every doll should relate to the theme. While we encourage creativity, failure to keep with the theme can get you eliminated automatically that round.
8. Judges. No one is allowed to use friendship or promises to sway a judge’s decision. Threats, bribery, and attempts to interfere or discover the judge’s decisions in anyway will result in disqualification. Arguing with the judges can result in an automatic elimination.
9. Competing. You can only submit one entry for each cometition, so choose wisely. The rules are being changed to allow crossover, but we ask that handdrawn dollers stick to the dollmakers if they are inclined to compete in that arena.
10. Animation. Animation is forbidden in the competition. We understand that many users like glitter, blinking, etc, but it takes away from the creativity and creates an unequal playing field for those who can’t animate.

Procedures
The audition round procedures are no longer in place, these are the procedures that will be followed in the future.

1. Participants enter a doll every two weeks in the set thread. They may enter it sooner, however further edits are not allowed after the doll is entered. No matter what, the two weeks are a guaranteed time slot(unless all entries are received before it).
2. Any participants who fail to meet this deadline will be eliminated. Deadlines are not being extended for anyone, so do not ask. Special extensions may be asked in the event of a long trip or medical/family emergency, but you must contact Silver_Wolf_Kitty immediately if this occurs.
3. After two weeks, the judges will then provide critique on each entry and select a bottom two for the round.
4. Several days are given for voting on who should stay. Voting will be a public affair, but you shouldn’t worry about hurting feelings. All you have to do is vote in the voting thread poll for the doll you think should go.
5. Votes are counted and the bottom participant is eliminated, then the next round begins.

Theme
The theme for round three is "Jewel Fairies". This means that competitors need to select a jewel/gemstone color(such as Ruby Red, Emerald Green, Sapphire Blue, etc) and use it for their entire doll, which should be a fairy. The fairy should be in entirely that color(s), with the exception being one piece of black or white clothing or accessory and metal palettes(which should be using sparingly). Competitors are not permitted to change their character's skin, hair, or eye colors in this round.

When your doll is ready, we ask participants to post their dollmaker doll in this thread. Round three will close the evening of September 15th! After that, the judges will submit their critiques and then public voting of the bottom two for the round will begin.

Questions
Q: Does the doll need to be a fairy?
A: Yes, the doll does need to be a fairy.

Q: Are mixed color jewels(Ex: Ametrine) and decorative gemstones(Ex: Lace Agate) allowed?
A: Yes, all jewels and gemstones are allowed, within reason. They shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 different colors, that defeats the purpose of the theme.

Are you looking for a place to discuss the Miss TDP Competition? Try the Official Miss TDP Clique!

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-02-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jordanashley (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.33 Average
Default 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Name: Piper
Jewel/Gem Color: Sapphire Blue
Piper, the sapphire blue fairy, is wearing a [sapphire] blue mini fairy-type dress (which appears to be quite shiney, just like a real sapphire), fishnet leggings, flat-type shoes with straps, a ribbon, and a heart necklace. Her wings are also sapphire blue.
I chose the color sapphire blue because my birthstone is a sapphire (it's blue, too!) and I've always thought they were beautiful jewels/gems. Whenever I saw the theme for this round I imediately thought, "Sapphire blue!".

Judges' Critiques
I really like this doll. I think the entire outfit is fun and flirty and that her hair color goes well with the color of the gem! I like that you chose wings that had two wings and not just one as it makes it look like a more complete doll. I'm glad you chose to accessorize and to add the text doing both really made your doll stand out!
.:*LancasterPrincess*:.

Very detailed doll with a pretty bow in her hair, and a dress that seems to glitter just like the gem itself. I'm not overly keen on the wings, which look a bit strange to my eyes; plus the fishnet leggings would have been better as either bare legs, or as tights.
-Miranda_

I liked this one and the shade of blue you used, too. There isn’t really anything to pick at with this doll, except the left hand under her hair looks a bit odd. I think you also should’ve added a picture of an actual sapphire, since she is a jewel fairy.
-Xx_Pixie_Dust_Dispenser_xX

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-17-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
prin367cess (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default round 3 entry - 09-05-2009, 10:18 AM

Name: Amy
Gemstone: Yellow Topaz

I was so torn about which jewel to do, because I love diamonds, rubies, and amethyst. But i couldn't pick one, so I just went with my own birthstone.

Judges' Critiques
Again another good color choice! I like that the skin tone has hues of yellow and I think that really adds to the doll. The dress choice and color shading work very nicely and I'm impressed by them. Why? Simply because yellow is such a hard color to work with since it's so bright. I only have two issues with this doll. One is that she seems to have hardly any neck which makes her a teensy bit un-porportional in my opinion. And two, that an accessory would have been a nice addition. Perhaps a yellow headband or even a slight hint of the actual gem on the doll.

This doll seems to have a lot of joy de vivre, judging by her smile. XD Her dress has a gleam on it as tho it's polished, and her wings are fragile and pretty. I would have preferred a little more detailing on the dress, but apart from that, this looks fine.
-Miranda_

Again another good doll, but it looks like she only has one arm in the pic. Maybe putting one going back like the other or even forward would make it look less odd.

av&sig: LancasterPrincess
http://purple-hippie.blogspot.com

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-17-2009 at 12:58 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Heva_Banana_Mad (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-06-2009, 05:16 AM

Hope it's ok now.
Name: Tammy
Gemstone: Purple Amethyst

Tammy has recently bought a new (well you can't exactly say house more like a cave) cave. She has appeared in a blinding flash to take a look around and is astonished at how big it is.

Judges' Critiques
I love your creative story! I know I would have never thought to add the gem as a house! I think the doll is well-made but there are a few very visible problems. She doesn't have any whites in her eyes. For some reason those were deleted and you can see the sky through her head, lol. And my only other problem is that she has no shoes. While I can understand that some people depict fairies as having no shoes it seems that since she is dressed modernly that she should have them regaurdless. If she were in traditional "fairy wear" then it would look fine, but as she's not it looks more of a short comming than an intent.

I like the background of this one; it really does help to set the scene and the explanation is very cute and suits the doll. The wand is a nice touch and the wings look very nice against the doll's body. My only criticism is that it would have been better for the doll to be standing on something, as she does not look as tho she is flying, more standing.
-Miranda_

This doll was good, but it looks like she’s just standing in the air instead of flying. A different pose with the feet would have been a better choice, and maybe some shoes, too. Her eyes also look a bit off, because there is no white. If they’re supposed to be closed, then make them all black instead of having the colour. The edges of the wings look a bit scratchy; they don’t blend well with the background. Also, you cut off her crown and part of her wing, which also looks odd unless there’s a border around the picture so it doesn’t look like an accident.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-17-2009 at 01:03 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
iluvdolphin6 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Ok, I had to make a new doll, because the dollmaker I was using, wouldn't work...so here is my doll.

Name: Victoria
Gemstone:Aquamarine [mine!]

Judges' Critiques
This doll is sadly missing a lot of ompf and also has two problems. First off she would have done well to put on some accessories or even some jewels. And it would have also been nice to add a prop whether it be as simple as adding text or at least trying to represent such a beautiful gem by having one included. My two problems with this doll is that, A, she has no neck, and B, that her legs are way too short. A good piece of advice is that by using a dress you can make your doll taller (you sadly can't do this with pants because the skin will show underneath the clothes) by not connecting the torso and legs together underneath. This doll is too stumpy, but having a neck and longer legs could have helped a lot.

The wings on this doll are pretty, but they don't look completely centred with the doll's body. Plus, the dress is a little plain; could have done with a belt perhaps or a pattern.
-Miranda_

I found this doll quite plain. The dress and shoe colour should’ve matched the wings or at least not look like a totally different colour and vice versa. A picture of your gem would have made a nice touch in the picture because she doesn’t really look like a gem fairy to me, she just looks like a regular old fairy.

It's weird how you say that you hate the guy who broke your heart.. but when he runs back to you, your arms are wide open..

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-17-2009 at 01:02 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM

Here is my little Diandra dressing up as a Ruby Red fairy for ball. I adored the head and I really like the wings. I gave her some edgy shoes to give her some sp'unk.

Judges' Critiques
First off I think this doll is very cute. She does have a lot of spu'nk both in her shoes and in her face. But what throws me off is that it's mentioned she is going to a ball. Perhaps a party would have been better suit? Or even going out for cocktails? I feel that if she is going to a ball then she is severly underdressed thus losing points in my book. Not including the story, I think this doll is well-made with the exception that it looks as if her shoulder strap looks as if it doesn't quite reach the top of her shoulder, though luckily her hair gets in the the way so it's hard to tell!

Very nice doll; I like the wings, and the shoes make this doll look almost devilish. XD The dress also matches the wings which is a nice touch; this doll looks very faux innocent, which I like. I would have liked a background, but there is a nice backstory to the doll.
-Miranda_

I REALLY liked this one, it really pops. The wings even look a bit shiny, which is good because she IS a gem fairy and gems shine! This is another doll that I don’t have many suggestions for, other then maybe adding a picture of a ruby to enhance the jewel fairy effect.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 09-17-2009 at 08:43 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Default 09-11-2009, 12:43 AM

Here's little Miss.Nelly:

She's a Tourmaline Fairy. Watermelon Tourmaline is a very rare stone. She is in charge of keeping the gem hidden and protected so it isn't over used.

Dollmakers: Link to stone:

SabresxRock Watermelon Tourmaline

TDP Shuni

TDP Angel Maker (Wings)

Judges' Critiques
I'd like to start off by saying that a lot of your "edgy dolls" are normally a 'hit' or 'miss', but I am glad to say that I think THIS doll is very much so a 'hit'! I think her mixture of edgy-girlieness is spot on! I also think this doll is very well made. There seem to be some white and black spots throughout the doll and text that are off-putting, but overall everything else is great! Good Job!

I like the choice of gem, especially since it's one that's not obvious right at the start. The doll is very well made and fits well together. I'm not overly keen on the black bits in her hair; it looks a bit harsh when compared to the pastel colours of the rest of the doll, and the wings look a bit like flower petals rather than true wings. But all in all, it's a good effort.
-Miranda_

This was another one of my favourites. The colour scheme was nice, and really displayed the gem well. And she looks like she’s flying, too! The only things I would suggest are adding a picture of the gem, editing out the black dots in the text, and changing the streaks of black in her hair to either pink or green or one of each(or even blonde).

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-17-2009 at 01:07 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Default 09-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Name-Ebony
Gemstone-Amber
Dollmaker-PURRRFECTION( my personal maker is currently hidden)
gemstone link- http://z.about.com/d/chemistry/1/0/U/c/amber.jpg

I nearly chose the stone "Ebony" for my entry but decided against it as i loved the idea of Amber and although there are a couple of different shades of Amber I went with this particular shade(it is not gold even though it may look a little like it)
I have added a beautiful Amber coloured Rose and some Amber treasure for her to guard.

Ebony was promoted to the "Guardian of Amber" position 2 moons ago, she has a very High & Mighty attitude over her role and takes it very seriously, everyone in the local area knows not to mess with her and her precious jewels...

Judges' Critiques
As always your doll is absolutely gorgeous! I like that you included a variety of props and text as well! I think your doll is very sassy and is put together well. However, I do have an issue with her and that is that it always bothers me to see that a fairy only has one wing, especially when it's see-through. Other than that, she is stunning.

Very pretty background; I love the rose and the treasure chest. The doll is holding her gem and I love her wings. My only fault to find is that the doll's dress is a bit plain, and the doll would have looked nice with an ornament in the hair perhaps, or an item of jewelry.
-Miranda_

Yay, you included the gem! I’m not too fond of the wing, though. It looks too much like just an outline. Also, when saving the image did you use JPEG? If you did, try saving it as TPNG next time; it comes out MUCH clearer and doesn’t blur the image. But also one of my favourites, she looks so regal with her treasure chest!

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 09-17-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread