Miss TDP-Handdrawn Round Two!
Welcome to the first ever Miss TDP competition! Before continuing to the theme for round one, we ask that all members read the following rules and procedures if they are competing.
Due to a drop out, there was no voting elimination for the last round. The following members are still competing in this competition and are the only ones allowed to post here:
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD NOR THE PLACE TO SUBMIT DOLLMAKER ENTRIES! Before you post here, I suggest you stop. All non-entry posts will be deleted. If you have questions, direct them to Silver_Wolf_Kitty. If you want to discuss the contest, the official Miss TDP clique(found here) is suggested.
1. Character. When entering Miss TDP, you need to enter with one character and stay with it the entire time. This means that your doll’s hair, eye, and skin colour must remain the same throughout, unless otherwise stated in the round theme.
2. Base. You must use the same base set throughout, so pick one with a variety of poses. This base should also be medium in size for handdrawn dollers (comparable in size to the "Moe" bases here: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory). Dollmaker users should use the shuni style base.
3. Theft. No stealing the work of another. This applies to both handdrawn and dollmaker participants, so do not submit a doll that someone else made or, for handdrawn dollers, mix and match pieces of completed dolls that are not your own. All work should be original and failure to comply will result in disqualification.
4. Props. Props and backgrounds are encouraged, but should not be massive. We will ask too large of entries to reduce their size, so be reasonable.
5. Transparency. We ask that all dolls have transparent background and is a GIF file. If you don’t know how to do this, see the following thread: How to Make Backgrounds Transparent
6. Forbidden. Sexually explicit, nudity(artistic nudity must be okayed first by Silver_Wolf_Kitty), or overly bloody dolls are forbidden. Entering one could result in disqualification.
7. Theme. Every doll should relate to the theme. While we encourage creativity, failure to keep with the theme can get you eliminated automatically that round.
8. Judges. No one is allowed to use friendship or promises to sway a judge’s decision. Threats, bribery, and attempts to interfere or discover the judge’s decisions in anyway will result in disqualification. Arguing with the judges can result in an automatic elimination.
9. Competing. You can only submit one entry for each cometition, so choose wisely. The rules are being changed to allow crossover, but we ask that handdrawn dollers stick to the dollmakers if they are inclined to compete in that arena.
10. Animation. Animation is forbidden in the competition. We understand that many users like glitter, blinking, etc, but it takes away from the creativity and creates an unequal playing field for those who can’t animate.
The audition round procedures are no longer in place, these are the procedures that will be followed in the future.
1. Participants enter a doll every two weeks in the set thread. They may enter it sooner, however further edits are not allowed after the doll is entered. No matter what, the two weeks are a guaranteed time slot(unless all entries are received before it).
2. Any participants who fail to meet this deadline will be eliminated. Deadlines are not being extended for anyone, so do not ask. Special extensions may be asked in the event of a long trip or medical/family emergency, but you must contact Silver_Wolf_Kitty immediately if this occurs.
3. After two weeks, the judges will then provide critique on each entry and select a bottom two for the round.
4. Several days are given for voting on who should stay. Voting will be a public affair, but you shouldn’t worry about hurting feelings. All you have to do is post in the voting thread with the name of the participant who you think should stay in the competition. You may provide an explanation, but that is up to you.
5. Votes are counted and the bottom participant is eliminated, then the next round begins.
The theme for round two is "Celestial Beings". It can be an alien, a goddess, an angel, basically anything that can be identified as "otherworldly". Competitors are allowed to change the skin, hair, and eye color for this round, as well as add extra limbs. We ask that all competitors identify what their doll is so we can critique it properly and determine if it fits the round.
When your doll is ready, we ask participants to post their handdrawn doll in this thread. Round two will close the evening of August 10th! After that, the judges will submit their critiques and then public voting of the bottom two for the round will begin.
Base is the usual Medley base from CCG (21) Fantasies
Character: Saguna Alvin Nemo
Celestial Being: Kali, Hindu Goddess of Change and Time
This is an interpretation of the Hindu goddess Kali; while often seen as a violent goddess who drinks and becomes intoxicated from the blood of her enemies (and thus shakes the ground as she dances), she has a softer maternal side that while embraced in Hinduism, is rarely recognised in Western culture. She is usually depicted with either black or blue skin, and honestly? I couldn't figure out her hair color, so I went with red. She usually has four arms, but in some depictions has ten arms AND ten legs. O.o
Kali was quite the challenege to take on; she really does have many forms, and choosing one to doll is hard. Kali can also be recognized as a goddess of both creation and destruction (not neccessarily of the world/universe as a whole), and wolf has decided to portray the maternal side of Kali. No explaination for the wine; I think it's just there to be... there. The skirt could use more embroidery; skirts like that either have a fun pattern, tons of embroidery, or both. And, yes, I do say this from personal experience. A headpiece would have been nice, as well.
Very nicely done and great idea. One thing I would have changed was either the shirt or the hair. With the top of the shirt being red and her hair being red, it clashes a bit. Very well executed though.
You definately chose an extremely difficult thing to doll considering how expansive Kali's forms really are. I like your interpretation of the fact that she drank blood of her enemies, which is assumably in the wine glass. Your shading was quite delightful and I loved your base edit for the skin, however you could've used a little more decoration on the skirt. It is very bland and typically there is some ornamentation on it. Also, I agree with Singer that you should've changed the hair. I feel a black would've looked much nicer and would've blended with the skin better rather than becoming one with the shirt.
Celestial Being: Stitch, from Lilo & Stitch (an alien.. XD)
Base: *DEAC loves you.
Well, here it is, It took me forever, and I'm pretty proud of it, thanks SWK for letting me do this one BTW.(: Two-toned blue skin, dark dark blue nose, blue and pink ears, and black eyes make her look like Stitch when his second pair of arms are pulled in, along with his antenna. Tiffany is dressed up like Stitch is when he and Lilo hula dance at the end of the movie, with bracelets, anklets, a head band, grass skirt, and red wraped top. (That outfit is not very comfortable, fyi xD). The only real changes to Stitch that weren't there originally was the hair (which I decided to be White, and then added Tiffany's signature orange streak to). :D
That's just a cute idea! It's not your typical alien doll, but Stitch! I just love that. Her hair, however, doesn't seem to go; making all orange would have been better. The ears look a bit like paper cones folded to look like ears and less like real ears, but those ears would be hard to doll. Reshading the sotmach in that fashion must have taken quite a bit of time; I commend you.
Cute idea! Very well executed and just a cute idea over all. Though, creativity wise, its not that creative. You did get your idea off a tv series.
I really like this. I imagine editting that base must've taken quite a bit of time and I give you props for working so hard on it. Those ears look magnificent by the way :) Your orange streak doesn't seem to look right. It's super chunky and maybe making it a bit thinner would've helped make it look more appealing. Also, the grass accessories could've used a little more tweaking, they seem rather bland because of the lack of major shade differences in them. Overall, you did an amazing job though.
Finally I finished!
Being: Elemental Angel (All will be explained)
Base: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory
Lola is an elemental angel so she can control any element. (earth,fire,water and air) for instance she can make it rain or create a flood with water. Burn down a forest with fire or even grow a forest. All this power must drive her slightly mad. The elements are shown in her clothing. Corset left: Fire. Corset Right: Air. Skirt left: Water. Skirt right: Earth.
She has the traditional halo and wings. I decided not to doll shoes because I don't picture an angel wearing shoes.
Judges please bear in mind that I had to do most of this doll on a laptop.
The idea isn't bad, and I do like the tree, but the oufit doens't really blend. You could have made the outfit a scene, like have some wind, waves, and lightning all hitting a tree, the lightning making the tree catch fire, or something. It's not the shading that's bad, but the fact that the outfit was
just sort of thrown together.
Ok, first off, just because you did it on a laptop doesn't mean it should be judged any differently. I doll all the time on my laptop and, no I don't have a mouse, it turns out just fine. Yes, it may be a bit difficult but it doesn't give you any excuse as to why this wasn't your best.
Second, I like the idea, actually I love the idea, but it wasn't well put together. The hair is very nice and the wings are excellent, but the outfit just doesn't seem to go well together. The top to pieces (fire and air) should have been the exact same way. It doesn't look that great when you have one part sticking up and the other part rounded. The skirt is probably the part that draws the most attention in the fact that you have two completely different ends as well. You have water in a wave and then earth as a tree. Yes, they are both aspects of those elements but they don't look that great put next to each other. Also, with the top, they would have looked a bit better had the been the colours blended together at the middle.
I really do love the idea but it wasn't very well executed.
I believe that you could've had a really good doll if you had thought more about how to execute a scene involving all four of the elements. A combined scene on the skirt or corset would've looked amazing in my opinion and could've brought you to the top this week if you had thought more about it. I agree with the previous points about the mismatched outlines. While they can look good, they simply look messy here.
Celestial Being: Alien, or that's what it was supposed to be... xD It looked better with my alternate colour scheme, but this one's much lighter and more "Mandy"-like.
Base: nicolabear on deviantART
My lack of creativity pains me to my very soul... >.> I did come up with a couple of creative ideas, but they either weren't totally right for the contest, or just feel through because I wasn't sure if it looked like Mandy at all. I ended up making a three-eyed alien. I doubt aliens wear any form of clothing, but if they did, it would probably be very futuristic and spacey. :P That strange looking thing behind her is a UFO, and those little things on the other side are stars. The things coming out of her head are antennae. ^^ Hopefully my creativity isn't as lacking as I think it is... xD
This judgement has been made not based on dolling skill, but creativity. Though, I feel bad for doing this, as you'd made something creative but not quite fititng before you settled with this.
But she needs more accessories, more color, or just something to make her pop some.
Very cute idea and I love how it turned out. The UFO could have used some colour where the is none in the middle. I love how it turned out though. And I love those boots!!
I think this is a cute doll, but I know you can do better. It definately needed some color to make it pop more and seem more "spacey". Your UFO also could've used a bit of work too(it looks like a flying nut, amusingly enough), but it was a wonderful addition. Maybe you could've added "lights" to it since that seems to be typically associated with UFO sightings?
Celestial Being: Valkyrie
As you probably know, in Norse mythology valkyries are beings who choose which warriors will die in battle, and lead them to Valhalla. There, they also serve mead to the fallen warriors (kinda like celestial waitresses :P). Valkyries are often depicted with winged helmets and wielding spears.
A Valkyrie! I hadn't thought of that! It's original, pretty well-made, and the clotihng is pretty close to accurate as far as Viking style goes. However, the vikings loved bright colors, and I'm not so sure about the belt. The belt looks a bit modern in design. The rest is great, I think.
I really do love how we have some mythology references here. And both have been well executed. I love the shirt and the helmet!!
I am in love with your idea, but you seem to be doing that every week! Your work on the helmet is simply beautiful, I love all of the small details you included. My one very tiny critique is that the "knee pads" of sorts should've been placed a bit higher, such as directly on the knees since I'm assuming that is where they below. They currently are right below the knees and it makes the lower legs look a bit stunted. The boots also could've used a bit more work, but I love this doll anyways.
Celestial being: Alien
Base: Poupe-base by GigideMortimer by *GigideMortimer on deviantART
Gabriel is an alien, she is The Emerald Princess from the planet Nebula, she has an alien rune on her forehead which is the mark of Nebulian Royalty, she isn't deformed in anyway but I did give her Metallic skin and an alien hairdo & I deliberatley shaded the hair & top of the dress to give off a luminous effect.
Gabriel is a little disheartened, It is her 1002'nd birthday and although she loves her mothers's birthday gift which is a very rare hard to get hold of Human doll, What she really wanted was to get the next flight out of Nebula and go to Earth to visit her friends.
I like the alien princess design, though the bun-things look slightly pillowy. That symbol on herforehead is pretty interesting. The gem looks more like a plastic blow-up toy than an actual gem, but gems are a royal pain. I would know. The folds on the cape are lovely, and same with the dress.
I love it! So cute, and so totally someything I can believe. That doll is so adorable and that cape is amazing looking! Very well executed!!
This was a really creative doll and I liked the story behind it. I see some major improvements in your shading on this doll, especially in the draping of the "cape" she is wearing, but I still see some pillowy shading around the top and in the buns of the hair. The doll's doll(wow, never thought I'd use that phrase) could use a bit more work since the hair is looking pretty square. Other than that though, I commend you on a very creative doll.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.|
© 2007 The Doll Palace